Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

injured rabbit + car

Options
  • 18-07-2011 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question for you- I found a wild rabbit outside my front door today huddled in the corner- eyes open and breathing, but making no attempt to move away from me. I put him into a box and brought him to the vet, where they said he looked in a bad way. He had a injury like a cat had gotten him or something, and they decided to put him to sleep.

Anyway, the vet nurse had freaked me out now a bit about bleaching my car before my dog goes near it and everything in it, washing the upholstery etc etc ... how thorough should i be?? I was just gonna send my boot liner through a wash and bin the box and wash down the plastic bits at the side of the boot, but she has me freaked about the fact that it's a hatchback boot open to the rest of the car... it seems a bit extreme to go shampooing the upholstery??? The rabbit didn't look like it had myxomatosis or anything particularly contagious, and was only in the car for 10 mins... but obviously I want to look after my dog ...

Sorry, I know it's such a trivial silly question...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I don't think dogs can catch any diseases from rabbits, so I really wouldn't worry about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Fleas would be the only problem as far as I can see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Thanks guys. I really wasn't too worried until the vet nurse started freaking me out. I'll just give it a quick rub down and it should be grand, if my dogs starts scratching I'll get her a spot on thing and we should be set. :D

I think they get a different type of fleas than dogs too, so they wouldn't catch them :) Not sure, but probably . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

Erm, it's called nature...do ya go around picking up wild animals that are on deaths door and bringing them to the vets all the time?

Some poor fox is going hungry now because of you, for shame.

• Advertisement

7Sins wrote: »
    Erm, it's called nature...do ya go around picking up wild animals that are on deaths door and bringing them to the vets all the time?

Some poor fox is going hungry now because of you, for shame.

It's better than leaving it die a slow, painful death . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I think they get a different type of fleas than dogs too, so they wouldn't catch them :) Not sure, but probably . . .

your right they wont live on dogs or cats but do bite them and humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mattser

I bet it really BUGS you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

i always have rabbits in the back of the car and the van, no problem with ether my kids or any dog. Silly advice from a 'professional'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

It's better than leaving it die a slow, painful death . . .

Whack it over the head with a shovel then :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

7Sins wrote: »
    Whack it over the head with a shovel then :confused:
    Altho i sort of agree thats ALOT easier said than done for alot of people

Advertisement