Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth greeting civ 5 if you got civ 4?

Options
  • 18-07-2011 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

I have problems with in teensy so I can't play online these days.

I am going in to my backlog and playing sp games instead.

Civ5 is 15eu in gamestop, so I was thinking of picking it up. I know that civ 5 changed a bit and not the way I like it.

So any point getting civ 5 if I got civ 4 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I hated civ 5 personally. I'd say stick with 4

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I hated civ 5 personally. I'd say stick with 4

what did you hate about it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found it perfectly acceptible to doff my hat to Civ 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I found it perfectly acceptible to doff my hat to Civ 5.

Sorry, but I did not understood a **** you just said lol. Please be more simple and more specific. I am not Irish you know ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You have a bit of a typo in your thread title, I was joking about it :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Definitely. Great game. Well worth €15. Most of the bugs that plagued the game at launch has now been fixed and is a quality title that'll consume you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Civ 4 and Civ 5 are two completely distinctly different games, you kinda can't compare as much.

Although I've found that after playing Civ 5 a lot, I can't get used to Civ 4 again, the changes are so on that very basic level, it's hard to adjust back.

Hmmm I just checked ign review on my phone. I don't know if like this hexed map now. It looks it became way smaller too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Civ 4 and Civ 5 are two completely distinctly different games, you kinda can't compare as much.

Although I've found that after playing Civ 5 a lot, I can't get used to Civ 4 again, the changes are so on that very basic level, it's hard to adjust back.

For example: 1 unit per tile.

This one change has completely changed how civ plays. For the better IMO.

quarryman wrote: »

That 1 unit per tyle looks interesting and quite a good improvement. Hated 5 million units stacked on one town... Your grand army dies at first town, just because your enemy had 30 units stacked up in some level 2 town...

I had 2 civs 4. One retail copy and steam one with all dlcs. Now having Internet connection is a bitch :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

In short the answer is : "maybe". There's some detailed reviews on the subject out there. Some prefer Civ5, some prefer Civ4. Basically with the 1 unit per tile restriction it's not really an evolution of Civ4 at all, and a lot of people don't like the gameplay of the new game. There's been a lot of patches to try and fix gameplay balance issues so it now plays totally differently than at release. I haven't played it in over a year, and personally I found it so **** on release that I haven't been tempted to go back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

quarryman wrote: »

Yup. The three most fundamental changes which make Civ 5 better than Civ 4:

- 1 unit per tile (well, 1 unit of type per tile, you can have a civilian unit and a military unit in the same space)
    - Hexagonal tiles
    - Cities with hit points, and able to self-defend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Is the ai still terrible ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Welcome Civ 5! Now that we are finally aquainted, welcome to my abode, you may enter. I never met your brother Civ 4, but you come highly recommended. Let's begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Damn, just saw Retro beat me to it.

just installed civ4.

damn i got rusty in it... i get my arse handed to me all the time.

i need focus more on war. i try to be less warish, but i just get raped by near by civs :(.

if i will still have major problems with internet i might go and pick up civ5 on friday.

Okay, civ is worse them drugs. Took me 45 mins to star my dinner which was sitting in front of me... Just one more turn, just one more turn. Well I will just get those there and I will eat. Just one more....

Playing as azteck, pure military asshole. I just faceroll them. Killed 2 civilisations already. Swarming my armies around English empire muhahahahah.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

For €15 Civ 5 is a total bargain imo.
    Its the first Civ game ive ever played but ive had more fun with it than ive had with every other strategy game ive played put together.
    You mentioned you didnt like the hexes on the map.
    Did you man graphically or just the use of them in general?
    If you mean graphically you can turn them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

This with all its DLC's is great craic... having atleast 10 wonders to build per single research makes You super strong in a said Style ( culture Science etc ) aswell as all the patches released.

i bought for 20 quid on release and hav played nearly 100 games of pure enjoyment. ( <== ones where the AI lasts past the Renaissance era, generally doesn't happen that often :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Sorry, but I did not understood a **** you just said lol. Please be more simple and more specific. I am not Irish you know ;)

And I always thought it was because you were from Cork. ;)

• Advertisement

And I always thought it was because you were from Cork. ;)

oh aye! :p

on topic. i just sticked to civ4 for now.

as for hexed style.it just does not feels right in civ game. i played civ sinse civ2. on psone, then pc.

its like... hmmm... heres example... you live with misses for 7 years, and you allways know what you will find in her nickers. ( old civ style, not hexed ). then one day, when you check those nickers you find the opositte ( in this case hexed tiles)... so yeah..... to sum it up, new civ5 hexed style is..... confusing lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

you're a weird guy ShadowHearth.

Advertisement