Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on hand rearing kittens

Options
  • 18-07-2011 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I've been fostering cats and kittens for about a year and now the shelter have asked me if I would hand rear two 2 1/2 weeks old kittens for the next 2 weeks. I've never done this before and am quite tempted to give it a go, even though I know its going to be hard work!
    I'm going to the shelter tmw to have a chat with them but i would love to get some advice from people who have done it before so I can make up my mind, and decide if I'm crazy to be giving up my sleep for a couple of weeks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Little_Focker

Ive done it twice and its well worth it ;) As they are so young it means feeding them every 3 hours and obviously that means through the night aswell!!! You wont mind as you know if you dont get up the poor things will be starving!

Cant wait to foster more kittens next year (baby due soon!) I have serious kitten-itis!!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

It is hard work but so worth it! Feeds every 2/3 hrs and helping toilet. Once you get into the swing of it you will find you get quicker and the kittens get used to the teat.
    It is also handy if you weight them when you get them and then weigh regularly so you know if you are feeding them enough. They should gain around 10/15 gr per day but sometimes they might gain a bit less. You do need to keep a close eye on them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭muireann50

Thanks for the replies, think I will have to give it a go, I'm getting excited at the thought of it now. The kittens are so tiny and cute its hard to say no!My boyfriend will be able to help in the evenings so that will be a help. And I know how quickly they can go downhill so I'm probably going to be like a fretting mother! Whats it like helping them go to the toilet,sounds like fun lol

hold the kitten and use a soft cloth to gently rub the lower belly and genitals until they wee and poo. If you do it before feeding it will empty the bladder and after will empty bowl or both.
    you can start t introduce them to a small litter tray when they are 3 weeks old. put a small bit of litter in and a poo and place them in it, moving the litter with their paws. Hopefully they get the hang of it quickly. generally momma will encourage this once solids are introduced but kittens will also have been watching momma use the tray so just letting them know its there is no harm.

You will need to keep them in a confinded space like a high edged box. you will also need a heat pad if you can get one rather than a hot water bottle, this is my preference.

Also if you have time to get nutridrops it is well worth having a bottle in the fridge just incase they need a boost.

• Advertisement

When they start using the tray and and eating solids you will be like a proud Mammy!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭muireann50

Thanks for those links. Will let you know how I get on tmw and post up some pics :)

muireann50 wrote: »
    Thanks for those links. Will let you know how I get on tmw and post up some pics :)

Please do! :-) best of luck with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

good luck OP! Let us know how you get on!

Advertisement