Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Destructo

Options
  • 18-07-2011 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

Hi,I'm looking for a bit of advise.

Our puppy is just over 7 months old and is biting/chewing anything and everything in sight,chairs,skirting boards,press doors,and so on,and on !!

I know he is still young and this is to be expected,but what I do to stop him before the house falls down around us,(I do love a good bit of exaggeration).

We have bought some "anti chew" spray from the pet shop........he loves it,can't get enough of it.

What do you recommend we can use,any help would be great..

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Try getting him a "KONG" from your local petstore, its a rubber chew toy that you can put treats or food in the middle, They usually spend ages trying to get them out!! When he/she chews the furniture or what ever take him away correct him and give him the kong!! Have always worked for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Dub Ste wrote: »

Our puppy is just over 7 months old and is biting/chewing anything and everything in sight,chairs,skirting boards,press doors,and so on,and on !!

I know he is still young and this is to be expected,but what I do to stop him before the house falls down around us,(I do love a good bit of exaggeration).

We have bought some "anti chew" spray from the pet shop........he loves it,can't get enough of it.

Thanks..

My cocker was a HORRENDOUS chewer when he was a pup...

firstly make sure he has lots of his "own" chew toys.... kongs etc....

Secondly... get vicks vapour rub and rub it where you dont want him ti chew... ie table legs... and he will NEVER chew them again...

it was recomended to my by our dog trainer ... we only had to use it for about 2 weeks and he stopped the reckless chewing altogether :D

what type of dog is he??

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I remember spraying anti-chew spray on our skirting boards and bits of furniture back when mine were pups. All they did was lick it off. That was not what the spray bottle had promised me at all!
    Is the dog doing most of the damage when you're out because then I would recommend a crate. Because we'd had our house done up some months before our dogs arrived, I was a bit reluctant to see the new things chewed to bits! Having them in the crate when I went out and at night meant that things were safe when I wasn't there and when I was, I could supervise and keep them away as best I could from things that are not meant for puppies, though one corner of the old couch did end up getting torn, despite my best efforts!

KONG toys are very good all right. If you put peanut butter in it and freeze it, they work for ages trying to get it out. And on another thread, someone recently had a great recipe for what they add to the KONG toy.
    I also found that buying cheap cuddly toys works a treat too. The dog can tear the crap out of it and all you have to do is pick up the stuffing. I know with mine, it got them over the worst that REALLY NEED TO TEAR STUFF NOW THANKS! phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

++1 on the Kong, they are excellent for keeping your puppy entertained.. Although my fella seems to have his mastered now and wraps his massive paws around it and its all gone within minutes..

I went to Maxi Zoo and got him a wooden dumbell, and that sorted my problem but only for a while! He grew out of his chewing phase once all his teeth had fallen out and he grew his new adult teeth, but recently he has started at it again!!

So what Ive decided was to walk him before I go to work then he always finds some sort of stick(branch) on our walks, this is his new "toy" for the night/day that I'm working.. Although I do come home to a house full of bits of branch its a whole lot better than bits of the chair or cushion!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

The Kongs are fantastic, but I couldn't believe how much they are in pet shops. The black XL ones were €29 in one shop I went to:eek: Look on Amazon or ebay, you can get them for about £8/9, plus postage but nowhere near the €29.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

garkane wrote: »
    ++1 on the Kong, they are excellent for keeping your puppy entertained.. Although my fella seems to have his mastered now and wraps his massive paws around it and its all gone within minutes..

I went to Maxi Zoo and got him a wooden dumbell, and that sorted my problem but only for a while! He grew out of his chewing phase once all his teeth had fallen out and he grew his new adult teeth, but recently he has started at it again!!

So what Ive decided was to walk him before I go to work then he always finds some sort of stick(branch) on our walks, this is his new "toy" for the night/day that I'm working.. Although I do come home to a house full of bits of branch its a whole lot better than bits of the chair or cushion!!! :D

Hey Garkane just to warn you, if those are the wooden dumbells that I've seen, then they aren't chewtoys, they're actually supposed to be used as part of training. Be very careful as the wood can splinter easily and will leave splinters in his gums and mouth. I asked the crowd in my nearest one about them when my guys started teething and they were quite fast to warn me away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Put peanut butter into the kong and put them in the freezer. They will be hours and hours at it.

Mix olbas oli with water and spray on funiture. Dog will not go near it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Thanks Shanao I did know what it was for, but I got it anyway thinking he would just try chew it, the wood is a lot harder than he thought it was and stopped after a few days and moved back to his favourite thing, a rocking chair in the sitting room which we never use so kind of dont mind him chewing on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our guy was the same - he loved tha bitter apple spray lol. I found nylabone puppy keys and puppy six brilliant for him. They're softer than the adult nylabones and have just enough give to encourage them to chew. As he moved up to big boy extreme chewer ones. You might need to rub something like peanut butter or marmite on them at first to encourage him to chew.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

+1 for the Vicks Vapo rub. wear rubber gloves when you rub it on the doors/chairs/tables otherwise you will get a handful of splinters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Dub Ste wrote: »

Thanks..

If its when your out of the house or in bed, crate train the dog. I had the same issue with one of mine and the crate has stopped it completely. If its when your in the room, thats a whole other kettle of fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Thanks a mill everyone,a jar of vicks it is then !!!!

See how I get on,thanks again....

Oh and not to sound thick.....easy now....how do you "crate train" a puppy??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

http://petcentral.yolasite.com/printables.php

Have a look at the Doggy Den section in the New puppy column.

Here's a good link for a crate training video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwF4SJWlO-w&feature=player_embedded

The All Ireland German Shepherd Association uses it on their website! which is:
    http://www.allirelandgsd.com/ incase your wondering :)

Just came across this one too its an anti-chew puppy training vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uj1IhJmpME

I didnt watch it so dont know if its any good but might be worth a watch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Like lots of people have said here.. get a KONG toy... I've got a big black bone for my girl after she eventually dismanteled her puppy Kong (she's 2 now).

Icecubes are a great distraction for them. Bailey loves icecubes and plays with them before finally chewing it plus if they melt sure it's just a bit of water and the dog will more than likely lick it up.

We used bottles when Bailey was teething and she loved them, we still give her one now and again but she's older now so when she is nearly at the point of being able to pull off some plastic it gets binned.

Cannot recommend KONG highly enough though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Ah man my dads 2 dogs were the WORST chewers EVER!!!! Playstation controllers x3, remote controls x2, mobile phone x2, house-phone cord, skirting boards, underneath the sofa, table, chairs, kitchen cabinet doors, runners, CDs...the list goes on!! One of them even chewed up a bottle of medicated eyedrops and was 'drunk' for the day!!! (don't worry, we did involve our vet)

KONG toys rock!! I put Philidelphia cheese in one side and peanut butter in the other and freeze it over night....dogs go wild for it!!

Best luck OP! They do grow out of it.........eventually!!!!

Advertisement