Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement rims question.

Options
  • 18-07-2011 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Quick question, recently the rims on both my front and back wheels have gotten quite worn, so I decided to take them into my local bike shop to have them replaced. They replaced the whole wheel rather than just the rims (the warned me about that in advance) however the front wheel I got back is intended for a bike with disk brakes (It has the mount for the disks but not the disks themselves).

I'm just wondering if the rims used would be softer or thinner because they aren't designed to be used with rim brakes? If it makes a difference they also don't have the wear grove that is on the rear wheel and they squeak very loudly when I brake.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Shops dont always have wheelbuilders, they can replace a few spokes and get rid of a buckle but some dont have anyone who can build a wheel from scratch. They shouldnt have sold you that wheel either, rims intended for disc brakes have a different sidewall profile. I have to look into it further as some rims come in disc and rim brake version with identical rim profiles/weight/spec, the difference is the disc specific rims have color treatment on the sidewalls with no machining. Dt swiss tk 540.

CRC has a sun rim in 2 versions but the disc version has an odd shape sidewall that wont take a rim brake.

Advertisement