Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike opinion

Options
  • 18-07-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭

hey guys im going to start saving up for a road bike :D will probably be a good while before i can afford one so im doing a lot of searching.

Whats yer opinion on ribble bikes? i know their shipping is around the 150 euro but what are their bikes like? i built up this (Ribble Stealth, Campagnolo 2011 Athena 11 Spd Double Groupset, Campagnolo Scirocco Black Clincher Wheels, Deda Newton 31 Anatomical Oversize Handlebars, Deda Zero 100 Servizio Corse White Handlebar Stem, ITM Headset Spacer Carbon 1 1/8" 10mm, Selle Italia SLR XP Padded Saddle, ITM Alutech 2 6061 Seatpillar) on their site, any idea what the total weight would be like for it? and what other bikes would ye suggest looking at at the 1000-2000 range?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

hey guys im going to start saving up for a road bike :D will probably be a good while before i can afford one so im doing a lot of searching.

Whats yer opinion on ribble bikes? i know their shipping is around the 150 euro but what are their bikes like? i built up this on their site, any idea what the total weight would be like for it? and what other bikes would ye suggest looking at at the 1000-2000 range?

If you're going to consider as much as €2k then give canyon.com a goggle - I'd be giving the ultimate CF 8.0 a good look

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

nothing set in stone yet, but from cycling my mtb around the roads i need to get myself a proper road bike, cycling is like pringles once you pop you cant stop :D this will be the third bike when i get around to it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

CheGuedara wrote: »
    If you're going to consider as much as €2k then give canyon.com a goggle - I'd be giving the ultimate CF 8.0 a good look

+1 if i had 2k thats where my head would be going

quite happy with my focus cayo (with recent upgrade to ksyrium sl's)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

ISF, don't buy 2nd hand and don't buy from the Internet! Obscure/rare brands come with there own issues as well you know... :d

Best to have the back-up of your lbs in case of any issues with the brakes, drivetrain, pedals, rear suspension! ;):D

id be fairly handy with fixing my bikes these days so buying from the internet if i can get a better deal is something i will most definitely do, as for second hand with a budget from 1000-2000 i would be looking at buying new anyway, suspension???? road bikes have this :eek: haha thanks for the advice guys, any opinions on this canyon bike, seems like good value to me, has ultegra and only weighs 7.9 kg (i take it thats good as the ultimate cf weighs 7.1) any opinions of AL frames vs CF frames.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    ISF, don't buy 2nd hand and don't buy from the Internet!

What? There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying from the Internet once you know your size. There is also very little chance that you can get a bike like ultimate CF 8.0 in a lbs.

Should be plenty of deals from your lbs on 2010 models...and in the next few months 2011 one's also...no need to go crazy buying CF Ultegra supermachines, Alu Tiagra/Sora for around €700 is plenty for a first road bike...

AstraMonti wrote: »
    What? There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying from the Internet once you know your size. There is also very little chance that you can get a bike like ultimate CF 8.0 in a lbs.

That answer was specifically for our friend ISF ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cloinsigh

AstraMonti wrote: »

+1, and I'd hardly call Canyon obscure / rare since the Omega Pharma-Lotto team use them.

cloinsigh wrote: »
    +1, and I'd hardly call Canyon obscure / rare since the Omega Pharma-Lotto team use them.

I was more refering to the "Ribble Stealth" than anything..

• Advertisement

i bought a nice xc machine from lbs so im giving him some business, but id like my first road bike to be something special, im just wondering is it worth stretching the budget for a carbon fiber bike, as some of those canyon alu bikes look fairly class

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There is a general rule of thumb that ze Germans make very stiff bikes.

Buying a bike without a proper test ride is a bit of a lottery.

im just wondering is it worth stretching the budget for a carbon fiber bike, as some of those canyon alu bikes look fairly class

Why would you bother, only reason is to save a few grams...oh and the difference in ride quality...chances are unless your an A1/2 or A3 rider you won't notice...

Train hard...loose some lbs off the rear end, win a few A4 races and consider a nice CF Ultegra... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭satwyn

just finished building mine mtb rock lobster titanium frame i used sram dual drive gear system only need one ring at the front with combo three speed hub and 9sp block

Lumen wrote: »
    There is a general rule of thumb that ze Germans make very stiff bikes.

Buying a bike without a proper test ride is a bit of a lottery.

if the germans can ride it so can i damn it, id just need to HTFU a little bit :D haha, really liking that canyon roadlite 7.0 as it seems like really good value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Why would you bother, only reason is to save a few grams...oh and the difference in ride quality...chances are unless your an A1/2 or A3 rider you won't notice...

It's true that carbon won't automatically win races for you but I think it's disingenious to say you won't notice. The ride quality on a well-made carbon bike is really nice and I've had friends who wouldn't know one bike from another ride my carbon 'time' and remark on how nice it feels to ride over other bikes.

Having said that there's nothing wrong with alluminium and some of the nicest road bikes I've ridden are alluminium and I think that the allu canyons look nicer than the carbon ones. Carbon is nice to have if you can afford it but if you buy an allu canyon you won't regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

..but if one really must get a carbon bike they wouldn't be doing much wrong with a PX. As you'll be saving up for the bike you'd be more likely to be out on the PX sooner as it's cheaper. The Pro carbon with Rival is going for just £999 at the moment. Check out Astra's beauts in the Fleets thread.

Lemag wrote: »
    ..but if one really must get a carbon bike they wouldn't be doing much wrong with a PX. As you'll be saving up for the bike you'd be more likely to be out on the PX sooner as it's cheaper. The Pro carbon with Rival is going for just £999 at the moment. Check out Astra's beauts in the Fleets thread.

PX? not too sure what that is, but a carbon frame and sram rival for 999 seems pretty good right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

or you could get a 105 shod cayo for around 1100 gbp from wiggle

kenmc wrote: »
    or you could get a 105 shod cayo for around 1100 gbp from wiggle

looks like a really nice bike as well, there seems to be a lot of choice out there good thing il be saving for ever to buy the bike then :D research time

• Advertisement

PX? not too sure what that is, but a carbon frame and sram rival for 999 seems pretty good right?
    Ah come on Icyseanfitz. Surely you've been around these parts enough to know about Planet X. AstraMonti's ubersexy PXs can be viewed on this thread.

Lemag wrote: »
    Ah come on Icyseanfitz. Surely you've been around these parts enough to know about Planet X. AstraMonti's ubersexy PXs can be viewed on this thread.

yeah i realized what you meant after leaving that comment haha, are planet x's good yeah? i was looking at the sram red equiped one 1500, seemed like a brilliant deal considering sram red costs about a €1000 in itself from what ive seen, i cant figure the weight of them out at all though, i take it they are light bikes?

yeah i realized what you meant after leaving that comment haha, are planet x's good yeah? i was looking at the sram red equiped one 1500, seemed like a brilliant deal considering sram red costs about a €1000 in itself from what ive seen, i cant figure the weight of them out at all though, i take it they are light bikes?

Last time I looked the Planet-X "SRAM Red" bike doesn't contain anywhere near a full groupset. That's why it's cheap.

that would be the reason alright, which one of the SL pro bikes would you personally pick?

that would be the reason alright, which one of the SL pro bikes would you personally pick?

This one:

YBCL57157_P2.jpg
    only joking, probably the SRAM Rival one

think im going to save up for the planet x nanolight athena, saw Astra's one and its smexy

saw Astra's one and its smexy
    I can't argue with that.
    think im going to save up for the planet x nanolight athena
    but as you'd be saving up for it you'll hit the Pro Carbon price point sooner and should therefore be out one the road with it sooner. Also, carbon levers on the Rival shifters are smexy, are they not? Get your hands on each of a sram, compag' and Shimano equipped bike and decide which shifting mechanism you prefer.

Advertisement