Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under 23 but not Dependant!

Options
  • 18-07-2011 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I was wondering if there are any of you in a similar position? I really am desperate to get back into education and make something for myself and my family. There just seems to be alot of road block in the way! Anyway here is my story in short:

I did my leaving in 2010, got accepted to a course and deferred a year due to the birth of my daughter. I reapplied through CAO this year to find out that although I have been living independant of my parents for a year now and recieving no financial assistance whatsoever from them, I won't qualify for a student grant!

Due to my parents combined income, it puts me over the threshold. They have financial difficulties of their own however and could never support me through college (nor would I expect them to).

I think it is incredibly unfair that until you are 23, you cannot be assessed as independant from your parents regardless of your personal circumstances (I live with my partner and daughter in a differant county). I have also checked and would not be eligible for BTEA because I am not out of school long enough.

I suppose my question here really is does anyone know of a case where a non mature student has been assessed as an independant candidate in their own right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,010 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

(3) Where it is established to the satisfaction of the relevant awarding authority
    that the dependent student—
    (a) has no living parent, or
    (b) is irreconcilably estranged from both of his or her parents and neither
    of his or her parents furnishes financial support to him or her (to
    include unaccompanied minor refugees),
    a dependent student may be exempted from having parents’ income taken into
    account.

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/Student%20Grant%20Scheme%202011.pdf

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Thanks for that mango salsa.

I had a look through that link but I'm still not quite sure - what is meant by irreconcilably estranged? I would generally take that to mean you have no relationship/contact with your parents, which isn't the case for me, they just don't give me any financial support.

Lola92 wrote: »

I had a look through that link but I'm still not quite sure - what is meant by irreconcilably estranged? I would generally take that to mean you have no relationship/contact with your parents, which isn't the case for me, they just don't give me any financial support.
    Well they live in a different country and dont provide any support

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Lola92 wrote: »

Are you able to get a letter from the HSE saying you are not dependant on your parent?

I could get a letter from social welfare I presume. I will contact them about it tomorrow.

Thanks again guys. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Anonymous_Bosch

You live in a different country, but you want the Irish taxpayer to pay your way through university in Ireland?

Re-read my OP.

I do not live in another country. I am Irish and have live in Ireland all of my life. I live in a differant COUNTY to the one where I was raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Anonymous_Bosch

Oh right, apologies.

If that's the case then you should most certainly be considered independent.

I just thought I would update this for anyone who is interested/in a similar position.

When I rang my local VEC they informed me that unless you have been in the care of the HSE as a minor you will not be considered to be 'irreconcilably estranged'. Apparently no amount of letters from my parents solicitor/social welfare/my partner or his landlord or employer would be enough to prove that I am financially independent of my parents. In short, no grant for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

That's really crap, you should write a letter of appeal to the VEC, and if that's no good appeal to the Department of Education. Hate to suggest this but getting in touch with a local TD might not be any harm either.

• Advertisement

Predalien wrote: »
    That's really crap, you should write a letter of appeal to the VEC, and if that's no good appeal to the Department of Education. Hate to suggest this but getting in touch with a local TD might not be any harm either.

Thanks for your suggestion predalien. At this stage though I am just so tired of being knocked back. It seems that every time I come up with a new plan or idea it gets ripped to shreds :( At first I was angry but now I just feel worn down with it all.

I went to my local adult education centre also and apparently because I have a decent enough leaving and am not over 23 they couldn't do anything for me. I just really need to get a break.

I have started looking into a fas course an maybe distance or part time learning instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

You should still be eligible for free fees shouldn't you? If anything that should lighten the financial burden.

I was in the same situation when I was an undergraduate and my parents lived in a different country - it sucks and is very annoying.

Free fees is really just a technicality though, I would still have to pay a Student services charge of 2000 euro plus separate exam fees in the college I planned to attend. Add to that books/laptop and around 200euro per week for childcare an it is just too expensive. Never mind living costs of having to relocate.

Anyway I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 20555

My parent's are divorced and my Mother lives in Wales.She is the only parent i have contact with,i no longer have any sort of contact with my Father who is resident in Ireland.I'm living on my own and only 19.Would i be classed as irreconcilably estrange from my parents?I'm assuming my Mother's income can't be taken into account.

20555 wrote: »
    My parent's are divorced and my Mother lives in Wales.She is the only parent i have contact with,i no longer have any sort of contact with my Father who is resident in Ireland.I'm living on my own and only 19.Would i be classed as irreconcilably estrange from my parents?I'm assuming my Mother's income can't be taken into account.

it's hard to say for certain. I think the hse has to prove that

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14 20555

How can they prove that? and what happens if they prove that?

Advertisement