Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in an Apartment.

Options
  • 18-07-2011 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I want to get a dog but live in an apartment. What type of dog would be suitable to live in an apt.

I grew up in a family with dogs so have no concerns over looking after the dog. But worry a dog wouldn't be suitable for an apt.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Greyhound!!! Best apartment dogs ever, they like to run around like a lunatic for about 10 mins twice a day and then be a couch potato for the rest of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Second the greyhound, very quiet dogs too. My friends Granny has had greys for 30 years in a flat in London, never a problem, walk in the morning and evening and they're happy to sleep all day. One word of warning, they love a bit of comfort, the sofa will never be yours again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

http://listverse.com/2007/12/21/top-10-dogs-for-lazy-owners/

:) not saying you are lazy!!! just here is a list of dogs that require or want little to no excercise ;) The greyhound features! :) haha I would also like to add the basset Hound to the list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

You could in theory have any dog in an apartment all depending on what kind of social life you have and how often the dog will be exercised..

Also your choice should be based on your work hours and how long per day you will not be in your apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Keeping a dog may be (in fact probably is) against your management companies rules. I would check that out first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Real_World?

Thanks for the comments. I like the Glen of Imaal Terrier. I think my wife would prefer some of the prettier dogs.

zinzan wrote: »
    Keeping a dog may be (in fact probably is) against your management companies rules. I would check that out first.

Yes the rules on the apt don't allow animals. But since I'm going to be there for a very long time (massive negative equity), and I do want a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Yes the rules on the apt don't allow animals. But since I'm going to be there for a very long time (massive negative equity), and I do want a dog.

How does that work again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

When living in Oslo, we had an Irish Wolfhound. 77kg and if stood on hind legs would be 1m80 tall. There were parks all over the area and city and forests only short trip away so plenty of scope for walking her.

The type of dog doesn't matter. Its what you do that does.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Hi I agree with the last poster that the type of dog is pretty irrelevant as long as you are willing to put the effort in, I have a small back garden and own a basset who contary to popular belief needs a lot of exercise. So if you are happy to get up 30 mins earlier in the morning and go out again in the rain before bed etc work away, however I think you should go for an adult dog who would be over the worst of the puppy stage

JustinDee wrote: »
    When living in Oslo, we had an Irish Wolfhound. 77kg and if stood on hind legs would be 1m80 tall. There were parks all over the area and city and forests only short trip away so plenty of scope for walking her.

The type of dog doesn't matter. Its what you do that does.

That's another thing. We both would be out of the apt for 8 hrs a day at work.

So the dog would need to happy to be on there own all day. My wife probably could go back to the apt some days at lunchtime for a visit. Weekends are fine we are both around.

My family has had Labrador's all my life so I understand the responsibility of looking after the dog. I don't feel comfortable with leaving a big dog in the apt as I feel they need space to play.

• Advertisement

Hi I agree with the last poster that the type of dog is pretty irrelevant as long as you are willing to put the effort in, I have a small back garden and own a basset who contary to popular belief needs a lot of exercise. So if you are happy to get up 30 mins earlier in the morning and go out again in the rain before bed etc work away, however I think you should go for an adult dog who would be over the worst of the puppy stage

Yeah I'm going to keep an eye out on the Dogtrust.ie website and see if there is a suitable older dog.

I must contact Dogtrust and see if they will allow an adoption of a dog in an apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Def do not get any sort of terrier if its going to be on its own in an apartment all day, as you wont have an apartment left if thats the case...

If your rules dont allow pets then you run the risk of getting into trouble with the management company etc so please make sure its allowed first before getting one as you might have to get the dog rehomed if thats the case which is very unfair on the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭HerbSimpson

Thanks for the comments. I like the Glen of Imaal Terrier. I think my wife would prefer some of the prettier dogs.

Be careful that you don't get a dog and then the management company force you to get rid of him/her. All it would take is 1 neighbour to complain, it wouldn't be fair on the dog.

I know how you feel, I live in an apartment myself and would love to get a dog, but it's not allowed and I wouldn't risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Sassy58

Ok really hate to point out the obvious here.....but you said that your Management Company don't allow pets so em why are you getting one???? I mean seriously do you not think that people are going to notice the furry thing on four legs being walked in and out of the building, and while you feel that you are going to be there awhile because of negative equity your neighbours may not feel the same.

Why get an animal when there is a risk that you will have to give it up. Most rescues will want proof that you are allowed to keep a dog in an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

To be fair I don't think you should get a dog. You're not allowed it in your apartment. The odds are someone will complain and you will need to rehouse the do. That is unfair for the dog.

At the end of the day you knew dogs were not allowed when you signed the contract with the management company. The fact that things have changed in your circumstances isn't relevent

Ok, I understand peoples comments. I don't agree that animals should not be allow in apts. As long as the owner is responsible for the animal.

Regarding the Management Rules..
    - external Sky Dishes.
    - laundry on balconies.
    - loud parties

These are also not allowed according to the rules. But is the Management company really enforcing these rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Sassy58

yeah fair enough but your talking about an animal a living breathing animal not an object i.e. washing a sky dish etc. There are alot of people who do not like animals and buy apartments that specifically don't allow pets. You are going to be in breach of your tenanacy - I can't understand why you would even contemplate getting a dog, bonding with it and then running the risk of having to surrender it, I mean its not like you are not aware that you are not allowed pets. If no one else in the apartment block owns a pet you are going to stick out like a sore thumb. I just can't get my head around why you would do that.

When we were buying I wanted a cat (god was I naive one ha those were the days) which was one of the specific reasons why we didn't buy an apartment

I mean I want a donkey but I can't have one in a housing estate so I sponsore one instead not the same but hey Hector gets a tenner off me every month to treat him to carrots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

gregers85 wrote: »

I would take that list with a pinch of salt considering for most of those dogs they list 'occasional exercise is good' or 'An occasional walkie is nice' or even suggest a run around the yard is a good substitute for a walk for a terrier! :eek: They also list puggles as low energy dogs which I would think is pretty much impossible to guarentee given that they are crossbreeds and there's no way of knowing how much of the beagle personality they will inherit which are not exactly low energy!

Have a look through some of the rehoming ads at the amount of people having to give up their pets because their landlord do not allow pets. It's not fair on ye and it's not fair on the dog. Unless you can get written permission from the management company I would not go ahead with getting a dog and anyways a rescue will not rehome to you without written permission. With a cat or any other small pet such as rabbits or hamsters it's different (presuming they're indoor) but with a dog you will be taking it outside a few times a day so people are going to meet you with it and possible dob you in, so perhaps look into alternatives such as pet rats or something like ferrets?

If you do go ahead and decide on a dog then avoid most terriers as they can be very vocal and require a lot of exercise, working breeds such as springers, pointers and collies also would literally climb the walls. Avoid puppies also as housetraining would be next to impossible if your on the top floor, also being alone for 8 hours a day is not suitable for pups.
    +1 on greyhounds, personally I think they are a very pretty and elegant looking dog plus they can fold up quite small so you can save on space :D Someone may correct me but are whippets similar in temperment to greyhounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

So the dog would need to happy to be on there own all day. My wife probably could go back to the apt some days at lunchtime for a visit. Weekends are fine we are both around.

Senario:

You are at work.
    Dog is howling out of loneliness.
    Wakes up Nurse Ratched who lives upstairs from her post night-shift slumber.

Next step?

Thanks for all the comments. I think the discussion on dogs or cats in Apartments should be something that people bring up with there Management agents as it is allowed in other countries.

But yes we are not in another country and I have to go by the rules here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

That's another thing. We both would be out of the apt for 8 hrs a day at work
    Ah ok.
    If nobody around for that amount of time, I wouldn't get a dog then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Thanks for all the comments. I think the discussion on dogs or cats in Apartments should be something that people bring up with there Management agents as it is allowed in other countries.

But yes we are not in another country and I have to go by the rules here.

Not all management companies have the same rules, so there are apartments in this country that allow pets. Unfortunately you bought one that doesn't.

However, if you really want a pet, then why not talk to your neighbours, is there a resident's association? Maybe if enough people want to change the agreement, they will change it. Or approach the management company and see if you can change the agreement.

If you are both working, then perhaps, if you could get around the management company issue, you could take the dog to a doggy day care centre a few times a week while you're out?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

OP, if you're not allowed animals in the apartment then I really wouldn't reccommend getting one. The last place we rented didn't allow animals, while we were living there we found three kittens that had been dumped, brought them home, raised them and then couldn't part with them. The amount of hassle we had hiding them everytime the landlord came around was unbelievable. We also had to be so careful that they didn't get spotted through the windows etc.

If you do get the go-ahead, then i too would reccommend a greyhound. They aren't very big barkers and are champions at relaxing and napping. Very few dogs suit apartments if they're going to be left alone for that long during the day, and like others have said stay away from terriers and the like. Quite frankly, that list of top ten lazy dogs is BS as far as I can see. The only ones they really got right were the greyhound and the bullmastiff, and you still need to get them out for exercise every day anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

will add my 2 cents here, i have had an english bulldog for 2 years now 1.5 years of that was in an apartment... great dog for me, he is always happy to see me when i come home from work... we did find he did get a bit lonely while we were at work which was usually max 7 hours so we got a kitten and the 2 get on great together, both now sleep in his bed...

the OP said about a management company not allowing pets, quite simple its against the law to not allow pets...simple as that... the apt i used to rent was the same... my brother is a solicitor got him to write a nice letter explaining to the company that if they do not allow pets then i was going to take them to the European human rights court for violation of such.... got a letter back saying i would have to call a meeting of the residents and get it voted on, almost 20 people out of 29 in total voted for pets in the building in fact most already had pets...

its not the management company but a residents association that can decide but as far as i know there is no legal recognition of such an association... but if your dog is barking the entire day your can have a nasty neighbour complain and you will have to come up with some answers....

Just my 2 cents and is just my experience...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

eurofoxy wrote: »

the OP said about a management company not allowing pets, quite simple its against the law to not allow pets...simple as that... the apt i used to rent was the same... my brother is a solicitor got him to write a nice letter explaining to the company that if they do not allow pets then i was going to take them to the European human rights court for violation of such.... got a letter back saying i would have to call a meeting of the residents and get it voted on, almost 20 people out of 29 in total voted for pets in the building in fact most already had pets...

I'm sorry, but nowhere in European Convention of Human Rights does it say everyone has the right to own a pet.

http://conventions.coe.int/treaty/Commun/QueVoulezVous.asp?NT=005&CL=ENG

If the OP has signed a contract stating that he accepts the conditions then s/he would have an extremely hard time making any case otherwise, I'm sure your solicitor friend is aware of the existence of contract law. If there is some other EU or domestic law that states otherwise it would be great if you could point us in the direction of it.

My suggestion to the OP would be to approach the management company or residents committee whichever is appropriate and get express permission before they go getting a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

I'm sorry, but nowhere in European Convention of Human Rights does it say everyone has the right to own a pet.

My suggestion to the OP would be to approach the management company or residents committee whichever is appropriate and get express permission before they go getting a dog.

its a good sugestion...
    but i am led to believe that in the europen human rights you are entitled to certain things....i believe that having pets is one along with access to satellite tv is another... just my experience but as you point out and as i said its best to ask other residents how they feel about people having pets..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Our management company said no dogs etc. My little lad had his heart set on a dog, so i went along and got him one. Dog is now a happy part of our family for the lst 2 years and since then, every second person in our complex has one. Not a word said since.

Just my tuppence worth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

eurofoxy wrote: »
    its a good sugestion...
    but i am led to believe that in the europen human rights you are entitled to certain things....i believe that having pets is one along with access to satellite tv is another... just my experience but as you point out and as i said its best to ask other residents how they feel about people having pets..

Yes you are entitled to certain things, but it doesn't cover anything remotely as mundane as satellite tv or pets :D. Imagine the uproar if everyone was entitled to a dog, every prison cell would have one just for the purpose of causing grief to prison staff by having to make sure they were well enough looked after. The entire list of what is covered by the convention is there attached to the link I gave, just click on the link that says 'Full text in Word Format'.

It's not just a good idea, it's the only way to make sure that it doesn't turn into a complete disaster. It may not anyway, but there is no way of knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

gregers85 wrote: »
    http://listverse.com/2007/12/21/top-10-dogs-for-lazy-owners/

:) not saying you are lazy!!! just here is a list of dogs that require or want little to no excercise ;) The greyhound features! :) haha I would also like to add the basset Hound to the list :)
    I disagree with some breeds on that list.

I regularly see Bassets when I'm out walking and they'd do hours a day. They were bred for tracking and have huge stamina, if not speed. Exercise is especially important for Bassets, Imaals, bulldogs and Pugs to keep off any excess weight. Any excess weight can cause huge problems for long backed, short legged dogs.

Puggles, being half beagle, will also take a huge amount of exercise, as will the Rat terrier. Terriers have masses of energy, and will go all day.

The only dogs I'd agree are low exercise dogs are the greyhound and the mastiff. Maybe the Chin, I have no experice of those.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

This the only relevant point here - do not get a dog - it isnt fair on it. I wanted a dog for years but I didnt get mine til I got a job close to home and was home EVERY lunchtime. 8 hours alone for a dog is an eternity.

Advertisement