Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

training advice

Options
  • 18-07-2011 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

i am entered for the sky ride in clare on the 21st of augustThis will be my first
    ever race ,am wondering how much i will have to build up my milage to be comfartable in doing this.I am getting out now about three times a week and do around 40k.Also when you only have around an hour and a half to train are you better of taking on the hardest hills you can manage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You need to bulid up to 80 - 100 Klms to be comfortable. Your going to be cycling for 6 - 8 hours, so you need to work on your stamina. Hill climbing will build up strength, but IMO stamina is more important for this type of event.

Try and get out for a 3 hour spin once a week between now and the event itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's not a race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Lumen wrote: »
    It's not a race.

Really?:)

From their website - the Etape is

"........an electronically timed event with closed roads."

Smells like a race!

OP - the Sean Kelly Tour site has some suggested training programmes for their event, that you could use - http://www.theseankellytour.com/Trainforit/

As for when you're time constrained, I reckon heading for the hills is a pretty good option or have a short lap mapped out and use it as the basis for some interval training.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭raindodger

Lumen wrote: »
    It's not a race.
    in my case its about survival

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭raindodger

07Lapierre wrote: »
    You need to bulid up to 80 - 100 Klms to be comfortable. Your going to be cycling for 6 - 8 hours, so you need to work on your stamina. Hill climbing will build up strength, but IMO stamina is more important for this type of event.

Try and get out for a 3 hour spin once a week between now and the event itself.

thanks for the help guys
    what is imo stamina

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

raindodger wrote: »
    thanks for the help guys
    what is imo stamina

"IMO stamina" =
    "in my opinion stamina"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I did this event last year, and while it's not a race, unlike many other sportives you have limited time to get around, as the road closure times are limited. This comes out at maintaining an average speed of ~ >22kph including any stops for the duration. I'd strongly recommend taking the time out to do a few ~100k spins prior to the day, for stamina and to get an idea how to pace yourself. We've early dawns and long evenings at the moment, so your should certainly be able sneak in a few 3-4 hour spins somehow.

The course is mostly rolling hills with only a couple of moderate climbs, so the pace is very doable (took me 5hr45 on a hybrid, which left me roughly in the middle of the field). With all the hype, and the timed start where you're released in waves, it feels like a race, and as such it's important to know your own pace rather than following others.

All in all, a really superb day out. Prepare as best you can and enjoy the day!

Advertisement