Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading to Shimano Ultegra Triple Chainset

Options
  • 18-07-2011 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Newbie Q here that I'm sure some of the many knowledgeable persons on here could help with ?

I have a Trek 7.5 FX and I'm finding the Chainset a little small now (top ring is 48). Without sufficient beans to buy a road bike, it occurred to me a compromise may be to upgrade and found a Shimano Ultegra Triple Chainset I could purchase (about €150) but three Q's occur to me:

1. Obviously, is it worth it ?
    2. Can I get away with just this (and a new chain), or do I need the whole lot ?
    3. How easy would it be for a novice to fit this ?

More than likely not worth it, just wondering..

thanks

fbp.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Wouldn't bother.
    Your 48 front / 11 rear is already higher than most road bikes with a 52/12

Front mech may need to be changed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

fatboypee wrote: »
    Hi all,

Newbie Q here that I'm sure some of the many knowledgeable persons on here could help with ?

I have a Trek 7.5 FX and I'm finding the Chainset a little small now (top ring is 48). Without sufficient beans to buy a road bike, it occurred to me a compromise may be to upgrade and found a Shimano Ultegra Triple Chainset I could purchase (about €150) but three Q's occur to me:

1. Obviously, is it worth it ?
    2. Can I get away with just this (and a new chain), or do I need the whole lot ?
    3. How easy would it be for a novice to fit this ?

More than likely not worth it, just wondering..

thanks

fbp.

What speed is your bike atm?
    Is it a triple as well?
    What bottom bracket does your bike currently have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I've been looking at Trek's website.
    Acording to it, your bike has a triple chainset, octalink type.
    If this description fits YOUR bike, then you can switch to an ultegra triple,
    PROVIDING, it too is octalink. There is no need to change anything else. It's not a big job, the only tool required is an 8mm allen key. If your chain is in good condition, there is no reason to change it. If the new chainset is not octalink, you will have to get a new bottom bracket(special tools required to remove old BB and fit new one)
    I agree with munsterleinster, that you probably already have a sufficiently high gear. I have a 50 front/12 rear, which is lower than your highest gear and I rarely use it.
    All things considered, I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I wouldn't upgrade it either. If your chainset is worn buy a Tiagra or Sora triple, provided your bottom bracket is correct.

Slowly upgrading a hybrid to a road bike piece meal doesn't make any financial sense, unless you get enormous discounts on the individual parts and you can fit them yourself.

Save the 150 and put it towards a full bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Really appreciate the feedback. Thanks. I simply find when I'm finally in a position to put the pedals down that I've got more in the legs ? Maybe its just like that and I cannot get the bike much quicker, just thought it may help if I had the extra ?

Of course, you're right, slowly upgrading from a hybrid to a road bike is not logical but my Financial Controller may have let me past the 150 but the B2W scheme being what it was, I managed the FX and I'm overall happy with it but, but... well I'm sure you know the score....

Thanks again.

fbp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

fatboypee wrote: »
    Really appreciate the feedback. Thanks. I simply find when I'm finally in a position to put the pedals down that I've got more in the legs ? Maybe its just like that and I cannot get the bike much quicker, just thought it may help if I had the extra ?

Mark Cavendish sprints at something like 76kph in 53/11 which is only 10% higher gearing than you have. He is the fastest road sprinter in the world, with an incredibly aerodynamic position on a drop bar race bike.

It is just not possible for you to be spinning out a 48/11 on a flat bar hybrid. You're doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

buy a cadence meter, spin your legs faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Lumen wrote: »
    It is just not possible for you to be spinning out a 48/11 on a flat bar hybrid. You're doing it wrong.

I'd fully agree here. What speed are you doing when you're spinning out? 48/11 and not enough in it for you? Something isn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

I agree with all the above about your highest ratio being fine but some people do really like to crank instead of spin but even BB compatibility aside you would need a new front mech and shifter and the flat bar road shifters usually only come as a set,its not worth it! But you could probably get away with changing the outer ring for a 49 or MAYBE a 50 tooth,might be hard to find in four bolt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

iregk wrote: »
    I'd fully agree here. What speed are you doing when you're spinning out? 48/11 and not enough in it for you? Something isn't right.

Y'er right of course, my inexperience...

spinning out, no, but opening up down a hill (not mental hills but long gradual ones) where I really am able to drive (yes, isn't everyone), I find that at top end there's little left and the illusion (to me) is that if I had a bigger chainset then maybe there would be more power at that speed and thus go faster. I'm sorry for the confusion. Top end speed for me on a nice downhill is only 67 km/h which I guess is not big in road bike terms..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You don't need it and it would be a waste of money. If you want to go faster get a road bike and learn to spin. Top speeds downhill are about aero tuck and cornering skill, not gear ratios; my max is 89km/h on easier gearing than you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Advertisement