Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Day Cycle in Beara Peninsula

Options
  • 18-07-2011 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone can help us out here.

Me and about 10 of my friends are looking to do a 3/4 day cycle somewhere in Ireland. We want to be by the coast as much as possible and if possible, start and end at the same place so that we can leave our cars there.

We did the ring of Kerry and Dingle last year, so were looking to do something else this year.

Also, we don't want to be cycling for "TOO" long each day. We want to be able to take our time and enjoy the sites and maybe do some other activities while we are there...surfing,swimming,fishing,climbing...we are basically looking for an adventure few days away.

We had a look around the map the other day and thought that the Beara peninsula looks great.

We have a provisional plan of the following:
    Wednesday: Killarney-Ardgroom
    Thursday: Adrgroom-Castletownbere (via Dursey Island)
    Friday: Castletownbere-Kenmare
    Saturday: Kenmare-Killarney

I have the following questions for anyone to help us out with because we have never been down there:
    1. Are the coastal roads on the Beara Peninsula accessible to cyclists?
    2. Are there many places to stay in the towns we are spending the night in? (mainly hostels)
    3. Is there many activities that we can do down there?

OR

4. Does anyone have any other suggestions of cycling routes around Ireland?

I appreciate any and all help you can give us.

Cheers,

Eoin
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

There is always a big fairday in Kenmare on the 15th of August, there is a nice beach in allihies and some great fishing off the rocks back along there also. You will find hostels in Killarney and there is one by the Fugifilm store in Kenmare also I think. Back along though to west Cork I am not sure for hostels, however B&B's and hotels are in plentiful supply.

Alot of the coastal roads are open to cars so if you're fit enough you can cycle them too :D There would be some which are private farmers roads also but they will generally not be paved so you'll have a good idea of it.

Another route to consider which would definitely be the route less travelled would be to continue from Castletownbere towards Bantry and then go up the Borlin Valley to Kilgarvan which would give you two lovely valleys practically unspoilt and practically unknown to tourists, alternatively you could take in the Priest's leap to Bonane or the Healy Pass from Adrigole to Lauragh, all of these three suggestions would have nice scenery on a fine day but are mountain passes so would be very physically demanding for the cyclist as would the main road from Glengarriff to Kenmare via the Kerry tunnels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

eoinymc wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone can help us out here.

Me and about 10 of my friends are looking to do a 3/4 day cycle somewhere in Ireland. We want to be by the coast as much as possible and if possible, start and end at the same place so that we can leave our cars there.

We did the ring of Kerry and Dingle last year, so were looking to do something else this year.

Also, we don't want to be cycling for "TOO" long each day. We want to be able to take our time and enjoy the sites and maybe do some other activities while we are there...surfing,swimming,fishing,climbing...we are basically looking for an adventure few days away.

We had a look around the map the other day and thought that the Beara peninsula looks great.

We have a provisional plan of the following:
    Wednesday: Killarney-Ardgroom
    Thursday: Adrgroom-Castletownbere (via Dursey Island)
    Friday: Castletownbere-Kenmare
    Saturday: Kenmare-Killarney

I have the following questions for anyone to help us out with because we have never been down there:
    1. Are the coastal roads on the Beara Peninsula accessible to cyclists?
    2. Are there many places to stay in the towns we are spending the night in? (mainly hostels)
    3. Is there many activities that we can do down there?

OR

4. Does anyone have any other suggestions of cycling routes around Ireland?

I appreciate any and all help you can give us.

Cheers,

Eoin

Hi Eoin, I live between Kenmare and Ardgroom, and have cycled some of the roads mentioned as a teenager, but thats a bit ago.:D Prefer to drive them now myself.
    Yes, Beara is a brilliant location for a 3-4 day cycling holiday, and I'l try to describe the routes and facilities.
    Killarney - Kenmare ("Molls gap" scenic route) is about twenty miles, first two thirds is climbing from the town and lakes up to Molls Gap (its a well known rally stage) and then a swift decent into Kenmare. You are on the Ring of Kerry for this bit of your journey, but as you are going clockwise, you will be meeting the buses rather than being passed by them which is good. Kenmare would make a good lunch stop, or a good overnighter, as it has good lively nightlife at the weekends, good hostels (3) and good restaurants.
    Another option would be to overnight in Bunaw/Killmacillogue (do not confuse with Bunawn) which you will see from your map is on the coast road as you go from Kenmare to Ardgroom. O'Sullivans pub on the pier there is known the world over for its down to earth welcome, - and not in a "touristy" way, just good people, good food, and reasonably priced accomodation. You mention Ardgroom, which is important as it is the point where it would be good to turn off the "line" road and go around by the "Hag of Beara", imo one of the most beautiful places in the world, and setting for many films/books etc.
    Ardgroom itself has little to offer, - a bit of a wan horse village tbh, - without wishing to offend my Cork neighbours, a night from your trip would be wasted there.
    From Eyries village, which is on the "Hag" route, you mention going via Dursey Island to Castletown (bere). This is the route which takes you via Aillihes village, with its very interesting history, (copper mining) and again, stunning views, out towards Dursey and beck again into Castletown.
    I would suggest an overnight in Aillihes, - it rocks in the summer ! Dursey itself isn't really worth the hassle of getting on to it (cablecar), but it is the most westerly point in Euorope.
    You could instead go into Bere Island which is just off Castletown, good ferry services, plenty to see there, pubs, accomodation, food, etc, but if heading back towards Kenmare maybe not.
    From Ctb to Kenmare, I presume you'll take the glengarriff road and either go across the Healy Pass, a lovely climb from the south (Cork) side, to open out into a panorama of Kenmare Bay, and rejoin the route you took to Bunaw, OR go into glengarriff itself and come across "the tunnel" road to Kenmare.
    There is good seafishing to be had almost everywhere along the route. Bunaw/Killmacillogue is home to a dive centre, -book in advance (Kenmare Bay Diving).
    Aillihies beach would suit surfers.
    Plenty of mountains all along the route, but not aware of any rock climbing.
    Just remembered, there is a hostel between Aillihies and Ctb run by a fairly famous buddist lama, panoramic location, and supposed to be an extremely cool place to stay overnight, - not pushy religious or anything.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions, come back to me.

Pm me if you're coming down and I'l meet yiz for a pint/coffee along the way.:D

Btw, I'm not in the tourist/holiday business at all, and have no connections to any of the businesses mentioned, - I just read back through this and its like a friggin holiday brochure !:o

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭eoinymc

Wow,

That's guys (especially you John)

Fantastic information there. I'll try to map our cycle out again taking all that into accout.

I really wasn't expecting such a response.

We'll be down towards the end of August and I'll defo pm you & meet the man with the knowledge!

Cheers again..

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kme2108

try this site
    http://www.boa-ireland.com/ try roughty river

http://www.eyeries.com/boatanglingbeara.html

as said try a lap of bere island

stay in allihies drink in the lighthouse bar and watch the skelligs and bull rock
    lighthouses in the distance

better trip than dingle i bet

Beara would be a fantastic cycling tour for a few days. If anything, the roads would be quieter than the Ring of Kerry or Dingle, so while none of them really have designated cycling lanes it might be better to cycle than the other two. Plus the main routes follow the coast so you are not criss crossing the mountain range that forms the spine of the peninsula, except when you cross the Healy Pass on the Castletownbere Kenmare leg, which is one of the most dramatic mountain passes in the country.

• Advertisement

Hi folks,

We're heading off next week for the cycle and was wondering if anyone knows any good spots to stop off for some swimming?

Or if there are any good rocks/piers/cliffs to jump off into the sea?

Or are there any hidden places you would recommend that we go off road to see?

Cheers,

Eoin

Check your PMs.

Got it Conor...cheers! :)

Advertisement