Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Day Cycle In Ireland

Options
  • 18-07-2011 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone can help us out here.

Me and about 10 of my friends are looking to do a 3/4 day cycle somewhere in Ireland. We want to be by the coast as much as possible and if possible, start and end at the same place so that we can leave our cars there.

We did the ring of Kerry and Dingle last year, so were looking to do something else this year.

Also, we don't want to be cycling for "TOO" long each day. We want to be able to take our time and enjoy the sites and maybe do some other activities while we are there...surfing,swimming,fishing,climbing...we are basically looking for an adventure few days away.

We had a look around the map the other day and thought that the Beara peninsula looks great.

We have a provisional plan of the following:
    Wednesday: Killarney-Ardgroom
    Thursday: Adrgroom-Castletownbere (via Dursey Island)
    Friday: Castletownbere-Kenmare
    Saturday: Kenmare-Killarney

I have the following questions for anyone to help us out with because we have never been down there:
    1. Are the coastal roads on the Beara Peninsula accessible to cyclists?
    2. Are there many places to stay in the towns we are spending the night in? (mainly hostels)
    3. Is there many activities that we can do down there?

OR

4. Does anyone have any other suggestions of cycling routes around Ireland?

I appreciate any and all help you can give us.

Cheers,

Eoin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

eoinymc wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone can help us out here.

Me and about 10 of my friends are looking to do a 3/4 day cycle somewhere in Ireland. We want to be by the coast as much as possible and if possible, start and end at the same place so that we can leave our cars there.

We did the ring of Kerry and Dingle last year, so were looking to do something else this year.

Also, we don't want to be cycling for "TOO" long each day. We want to be able to take our time and enjoy the sites and maybe do some other activities while we are there...surfing,swimming,fishing,climbing...we are basically looking for an adventure few days away.

We had a look around the map the other day and thought that the Beara peninsula looks great.

I have the following questions for anyone to help us out with because we have never been down there:
    2. Are there many places to stay in the towns we are spending the night in? (mainly hostels)

OR

Cheers,

Eoin
    I'm going to move this to Cycling forum for a more informed response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

eoinymc wrote: »
    Hi guys,

OR

Cheers,

Eoin

The Beara Peninsula is stunning and all the coast roads are accessible to cyclists. Between Ardgrrom and Allihies there are some very very steep ramps, but no more than say 1km - mostly 0.5km. By steep I mean 18-20% steep.

The only thing I will say is that the peninsula is quiet. Ardgrrom is dead as is Eyries. Some nice pubs in Allihies.
    Castletown and Kenmare are big and there is a lot going on in terms of food, pubs, music, other activities (horseriding, fishing, hillwalking, etc etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

http://www.greenway.ie/Greenway-01.html
    try here
    when you get to achill,there are brilliant routes around the island
    http://www.mayowalks.ie/CyclingInMayo/CycleHubs/
    plenty of places to stay
    plenty to do( book a surf school)
    learn to kayak
    http://www.achilltourism.com/activities-directory.html

Advertisement