Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fabric for a dress

Options
  • 18-07-2011 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭

~hii to A&C,
    I'm in need of your help,
    have to sew a dress but can't seem to find the right colour/fabric (new to sewing).
    My neighbour who was a seamstress suggested jersey and someone else who also has a lot of experience suggest 100% cotton.
    The colour I want is the same as the blouse below
    tumblrlnk1p4npzf1qdnf4b.png
    would appreciate any help <3 thanks everyone
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Sera, is that the type of fabric you want as well?

What pattern are you using? It usually says on the packet back what types of fabric work well with the particular pattern.

For a beginner I would always recommend cotton, it's so much easier to work with than pretty much anything else.

I would call the colour of the blouse you posted Coral if that's any help for your search?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,136 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is no connection between the colour and the type of fabric. Like das kitty I agree that cotton would be easier for a beginner to sew than jersey. Jersey needs a bit of practise. It would depend on the style of the dress though, and you need to check out the pattern to see what is recommended.

You could have a long search looking for coral in the right kind of fabric, if you are completely new to sewing I suggest you buy some cheap fabric locally and make it up first before you spend a lot of money on the exact fabric you want.

If you put up a picture of the dress from the pattern packet we might be able to offer more advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Thanks for you help
    onion-emoticon-082.gif
    Das Kitty wrote: »
    is that the type of fabric you want as well? What pattern are you using? It usually says on the packet back what types of fabric work well with the particular pattern. For a beginner I would always recommend cotton, it's so much easier to work with than pretty much anything else.
    I'm happy if it's not too light. The pattern says cottons and blends, linen, silkes, synthetics and blends, poplin, crepe, homespun, moire, silk and worsted, lightweight wools and blends, wool crepe, double knits, bonded jersey, velvet and velveteen for suggested fabrics. It's a peter pan neck dress with two darts in the front.
    I would call the colour of the blouse you posted Coral if that's any help for your search?
    yeah I using coral/salmon/peach when I was checking ebay :3 thanks
    looksee wrote: »
    There is no connection between the colour and the type of fabric. Jersey needs a bit of practise. I suggest you buy some cheap fabric locally and make it up first before you spend a lot of money on the exact fabric you want.
    If you put up a picture of the dress from the pattern packet we might be able to offer more advice.
    no connection?
    Will be doing that anyway thanks.
    I'll get a photo of it up later.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

How about this:

http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=7b686614-406e-40d2-8c4c-2bd72511b846

If you just get enough for the dress any customs charge won't be prohibitive. I've bought from them before and even with postage and customs it was less expensive than Hickey's.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,136 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The pattern is suggesting that pretty well any fabric is suitable. I would suggest you stay away from jersey, slippery synthetics, velvet, or anything very thin that you would have to line. (You should not be able to see the shadow of the darts through the fabric).

The fabric/colour business I was reading your question to suggest that there was a link somehow, I think we were just confusing each other :D

• Advertisement

thanks again to both of you <3
    sorry for being such a sewing noob
    Das Kitty wrote: »
    How about this:

http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=7b686614-406e-40d2-8c4c-2bd72511b846

If you just get enough for the dress any customs charge won't be prohibitive. I've bought from them before and even with postage and customs it was less expensive than Hickey's.
    It's a tiny bit dark but would definitely be a second choice, thanks so much for the link! Am just checking around it myself to see if there's something lighter, I'm oh so very picky
    looksee wrote: »
    The pattern is suggesting that pretty well any fabric is suitable. I would suggest you stay away from jersey, slippery synthetics, velvet, or anything very thin that you would have to line. (You should not be able to see the shadow of the darts through the fabric).

The fabric/colour business I was reading your question to suggest that there was a link somehow, I think we were just confusing each other biggrin.gif
    Definitely nothing shiny, it wouldn't suit at all :3. That's good to know though, thanks that's helped me a lot.
    Oh I just meant, I could find the colour but not in the fabric or the fabric and not the colour! Lol it's grand though :pac:

still searching for fabric, I got the right shade but it was sold out
    is there any other sites that ye know that I could try?
    Mcallums wrote: »
    Your attached dress is really very beautiful in its color and style.. I love to wear that type of dresses...
    it's just so dainty isn't it? it's just a blouse I found on tumblr

Advertisement