Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erasmus grant

Options
  • 18-07-2011 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I'm planning on studying abroad for the second semester of the coming year (January to June). Atm its looking like ill be going to London.

I've been given no information about grants but as accommodation is expensive in London it'll be fairly vital to my decision making. To make it worse the college international office is closed until after the closing date for acceptance of offers.

Could anyone who's been on erasmus give me some information on how much to expect in a grant for one semester and how often it will be given?

Also, does everyone get the grant or is there some sort of selection process?

Any help would be much appreciate cause all i know is what I've pieced together online!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 trishx

Hi,
    I am going studying in the Uk and I was wondering the same a few weeks ago so I did a bit of study..From what I gather you have to apply for the grant in your home country.The link is below.Its somewhere on that page..the deadline is the 31st of August.It is a long procedure and it is means tested.You're not guaranteed to get it.I haven't applied it but freaking out I won't get it.The further away you are from home the more chance you have of getting it as well!

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ocli64

Thanks for the info. I think the higher education grant is different from the Erasmus grant. I will only be studying in London for one semester and then returning to Ireland so I think that grant comes from the EU and not the Irish government. Are you planning on studying in the UK full time or just for a year or semester?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 trishx

Im going as a full-time student in the UK.Are you eligible for the normal grant?.Yes you should get the Erasmus grant ..ask the college when you go back in September.If the course isnt starting until January im sure you have loads of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ocli64

Im not eligible for the normal grant but the erasmus grant is totally separate from that and as far as I know everyone gets it I just want to know how much to expect. I cant get information from the college until after the acceptance date for my offer so I'm hoping someone that's been on erasmus can give me an idea of what to expect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

I can't remember how much I got, but the fact you're going to the UK means that you should hopefully get a reasonable third installment which comes from the grant money left over (or something like that) and the more expensive your host country the more you're given.

(I think I got somewhere around 2000 overall while I was in the Netherlands, but I'm open to correction)

edit: this was in NUIG btw, maybe it's different elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 tejula

Hey hey! I've been to Erasmus and also recieved grant - I was in Germany - got about 350€ per month :)
    Anyway, this link might be useful: http://www.erasmus-exchange.info/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=319, or this: http://www.erasmus-exchange.info/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=190
    hope it helps. Have fun while abroad! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rooneysdaman

trishx wrote: »
    Im going as a full-time student in the UK.

Where are you going Trish? I'm off to the University of Liverpool for the next 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Princess Mohammed

i am going to norway on erasmus for 3 months i go to mary i... any idea how much you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tejula

For Norway I think grants are (were) at least 500€.
    http://www.erasmuser.info/erasmus-general-information/how-much-is-erasmus-grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

This thread is over two years old. Thread locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement