Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cologne Christmas Markets...

Options
  • 18-07-2011 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!!

Ok, I've been in a scarily Christmassy mood the last week or two, no idea why! It might have something to do with realising all my friends will be back in the country for it (damn you, recession!!!). Anyway, I've decided I want to go to one of the European markets in December this year- I prefer cold weather holidays (my GF isn't too keen on cold weather but she loves the markets just as much as me!)

Now, we've both been to Krakow markets, and she's been to Vienna too. I'd prefer to go somewhere we both haven't been, just so we can discover stuff together! :o

Anyway, I've been doing some research, and Cologne seems to be coming up trumps- for cost if we book flights & hotel pretty soon- and for the reviews of the markets.

SO long story short- have you guys been to the markets in Cologne, or are there others you'd particularly recommend? I know my GF went nuts for Vienna, so something that could top them would be awesome...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I've never been to a christmas market. What goes on at one? I know I could look it up but that will likely give me the marketing from whoever runs it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Whispered wrote: »
    I've never been to a christmas market. What goes on at one? I know I could look it up but that will likely give me the marketing from whoever runs it. :)

:eek::eek::eek:

They're basically a lot of woodenhuts with people selling christmas gear, decorations, presents, food, mulled wine... it's so lovely. It's all very Christmassy. A lot of the European ones date back to the 1600's and earlier.

Would you go to buy pressies or just to feel all christmassy. Might have to start dropping hints. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Would you go to buy pressies or just to feel all christmassy. Might have to start dropping hints. :D

I'm going to London in November and I know they have a Christmas Market of some sort there so I'm looking forward to that! I know it would be no where near as good as the German ones though - would love to go to one of them!

Both! There's nothing like wandering through a market when it's all sharp and cold bundled up looking at hand turned wooden toys drinking mulled wine. Especially when it's dark and the lights are all twinkly... Krakow was so much fun! You can pick up some great presents, just remember to bring a decent bag with some space in it (and don't fly ryanair, because you'll defo pick up lots!).

• Advertisement

Just did some googling - there is one in Galway. :eek: Wonder what it's like. Will have to head down this year.

Best of luck finding the info you need op, sounds like just the thing to really christmas up your christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Was at the Cologne Christmas market last December, really enjoyed it Cologne is a nice town. There are five or six different ones and if memory serves the one at Neumarket we found the best. One thing it was mighty cold, we also went to a football match whilst there I dont think I have ever been as cold in my life.
    We flew into Dusseldorf and getting to Cologne was very simple, the German public transport system is fantastic. Ate at two fantastic restaurants in Cologne had perhaps the best steak I have ever had in my life there.
    We have been to a few markets and my absolute favourite is Salzberg, beautiful place lovely markets, out door skating rings, horse drawn carriages and dead easy to get to. If you cant fly direct easy to get to from Munich. Also been to the markets in Trier, Berlin and Bamberg - Trier is a nice town steeped in Roman history excellent cheap wine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

My sisters and mum are at the early stages of talking about going to one of the Christmas markets, I have had a look online and have read that while Cologne is a fantastic Market, the city isn't that nice. Is this true? I want to feel like I am in a fairy tale town! I have heard good things about Munich, for both market and city, any opinions? I'd love to go to Austria or Salzburg but have heard they are both fairly pricey? We would be on quite a tight budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

ncmc wrote: »
    My sisters and mum are at the early stages of talking about going to one of the Christmas markets, I have had a look online and have read that while Cologne is a fantastic Market, the city isn't that nice. Is this true? I want to feel like I am in a fairy tale town! I have heard good things about Munich, for both market and city, any opinions? I'd love to go to Austria or Salzburg but have heard they are both fairly pricey? We would be on quite a tight budget.

Nuremberg Christmas Market is apparently the most famous and popular Market in Germany - not sure how much it would set you back but check out the website - looks great! Oh I'd love to be going!

http://www.christkindlesmarkt.de/english/index.php?navi=1&rid=2

Must admit ncmc I did not find Salzberg too pricey, its a small city so getting around is easy and it is really nice. Shop around and you should get deals, food is reasonably priced and portions are good depending where you eat of course.
    Hoping to get to Nuremberg myself this year.
    Cologne is not a bad town by any standards but would not be the nicest Germany city I guess. The Cathederal is cool and you have the Rhine running through it an dthe markets are good there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

We went to Dusseldorf last year and did a day-trip to Cologne. The Cologne markets were nicer than Dusseldorf. We also did a day-trip to Essen (I think) and they were nicer again. I wasn't that impressed with Dusseldorf ones I have to admit, hence our day trips away! We picked Dusseldorf due to availability of flights on days that suited us.
    The previous year we went to Munich and they are spectacular - better than anything we saw last year! My sisters were in Munich last year and were equally impressed. It's also a lovely city. I think what makes Munich so great is the massive market on Marienplatz and spilling into the streets nearby.
    This year we are going to Berlin. Picked for flights again plus the fact that we've been to Berlin before and liked it.
    I know people that have been to ones outside Germany and would say the German ones are the best. Each year we consider going to another country and then pump for Germany again.
    We've been lucky with weather insofar as it's been cold, but not raining. We've had snow each year, but Germany works perfectly well in snow!!
    German public transport is fantastic, it makes so much of Germany more accessible than there are flights to.
    Enjoy! And take the advice of the poster who said bring bags - you will buy something! first year we ever went, it was a trip we'd booked that was just close to Christmas and while we were too early for the market-proper, we still bought loads - and had to get home via hand luggage - haven't made that mistake since!!

Woo hoo all set for Nuremberg now picked up very reasonable flights with Lufthansa so something to look forward to amidst all the gloom and doom.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Quick question...

Would November be too early to enjoy the markets in Europe?
    Looking at the third or fourth week in November.

Thinking perhaps Munich or Budapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

I'm flying to Frankfurt at the start of December for a few days and planning on taking a trip to Cologne to the Christmas Markets :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gilbert01

I have been to that place and it is the best place to get the accessories you want at dirt cheap rates. I usually visit to get perfumes and other accessories such as wrist watches, clothes and i love to hangout there.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Booked my flights today for Germany in December

Going for a week so will take in a few markets :D:D

After looking for advice on here, myself and the OH have changed tack (due to her going to college in UK, can't get much time away for a holiday) we we're doing a Christmas market roadtrip from Birmingham the whole way down to Cornwall. There's loads of mad little markets and weird festivals in England for Christmas, so fingers crossed it'll be good!!

Getting excited now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

After looking for advice on here, myself and the OH have changed tack (due to her going to college in UK, can't get much time away for a holiday) we we're doing a Christmas market roadtrip from Birmingham the whole way down to Cornwall. There's loads of mad little markets and weird festivals in England for Christmas, so fingers crossed it'll be good!!

Getting excited now!!

That sounds like a nice trip, I was thinking of a Christmas Market in Europe, but the finances won't allow, so think we will try and organise a weekend at the market in Galway instead. It's what you make of it that counts and you don't have to travel to Europe to have a great weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Copenhagen in December is fantastic, we were there last year for a weekend with work and our partners. Hot chestnuts and mulled wine being sold everywhere, millions of Christmas lights and of course the Tivoli is transformed into a Christmas/winter wonderland. Were going again next this year, i can't wait !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

I'm going to Prague for the Christmas markets!!!! Got a brilliant deal with lastminute.com. I must bring a big bag with me now that others have recommended it.

I was in Strasbourg for the markets a few years ago and it was wonderful. Really old town, the markets are in front of the medieval cathedral. There's old medieval wooden houses all around the old town. Skating, wooden huts, mulled wine, the whole shebang. Highly recommended.
    That sounds like a nice trip, I was thinking of a Christmas Market in Europe, but the finances won't allow, so think we will try and organise a weekend at the market in Galway instead. It's what you make of it that counts and you don't have to travel to Europe to have a great weekend.

Very true. I am planning on checking out Dublin's and Galway's markets too. (Don't know where the money will come from!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement