Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a dog?

Options
  • 18-07-2011 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

So I've being thinking for a few months and decided (sort of) on getting a Rottweiler...maybe. I had one before.

I don't be in this Forum that often but see "Don't buy off Done Deal" mentioned abit so where do I go to get one? With good genes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

So I've being thinking for a few months and decided (sort of) on getting a Rottweiler...maybe. I had one before.

I don't be in this Forum that often but see "Don't buy off Done Deal" mentioned abit so where do I go to get one? With good genes.

DoneDeal 'CAN' be a decent place, we got our Boxer from there 18months ago and was the best thing we ever did, maybe we were lucky.

Just keep yer wits about ya when looking, and if it smells of shit then there's probably a turd nearby.

Don't rush into it and ya should be grand

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I recommend sending a PM to Andreac who often posts in this forum, owns a stud Rottie and is involved with the Rottweiler club of Ireland.

Also loads of Rottie pups end up in pounds and rescues and would be no lesser quality than any advertised for sale in the usual ads, the difference is they are free or for a fair donation to cover costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

would you not go to the rescue center and look around in there and give a home to a puppy rott... ?. why pay for one when you can get one free and you will be saving it's life as well more than likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

zenno wrote: »
    would you not go to the rescue center and look around in there and give a home to a puppy rott... ?. why pay for one when you can get one free and you will be saving it's life as well more than likely.

+1

You should defiantly try the DSPCA (or the local animal shelter) That's where I got my cat from years ago :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

I did actually check the local pound and ISPCA place a month back but there wasn't one, I wanted a Jack Russell aswell and there wasn't one of them either, (Why do they neuter everything, doesn't it make them all fat and less energetic???:confused:) they said they'd ring when they had one. No word yet:rolleyes:. Local woman will have Jack pups soon though so I'll get one of them off her.

They'll grow up together and have each other for company when ever there isin't someone around (which is rare) is my thinking.

I have a super Jack Rus at the minute (getting on now though) who'll put manners on them:rolleyes:, ah no, I'm curious to see how they get on.

And the long evenings (for now) will be handy to get through the "shi*ty" month or so when I have to keep them inside at night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

(Why do they neuter everyting, doesn't it make them all fat and less energetic???:confused:)

Feeding dogs too much and laziness on the part of the owner is what makes them all fat and less energetic. The other for the most part is urban myth. Rescues neuter everything because that's the whole point of why they exist. For females it can extend the length of their life by double. An entire male can go stir crazy trying to get to a bitch in heat although there are not so many health benefits (personally I think it best to wait till males are fully grown). However rescues don't want to be getting a load of puppies dumped in again that have come from a dog that was already through their doors, that would be pretty irresponsible on their part and would be a waste of time for them to be rescuing dogs.

You would be best getting one to start with I think as two new puppies would be pretty mad. I'd let the first one settle in first and let your old dog adjust completely before getting the other. It'll be a pretty big change for the old fella as well so take him into consideration too.

Good luck with it, sometimes it just takes a little time but if you keep checking back with places once a week or so one will turn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

we where looking for a dog just over a year ago and everyone in my family were thinking of a pup but after 5 day's of this, I checked out the dogs trust in finglas and looked at the pictures online and seen a border collie full breed and he was 4 years old, his master abused and abandoned him to be homeless so I convinced the rest of the family to take him in and he is the most intelligent of dogs I have ever encountered.

and to this day he is in excellent mental condition as he did go through a terrible 4 years of his life.

never be afraid to pick up a dog that is a few years old, with a little training and a good home they will always enlighten you after a few months of the dog settling down in it's new environment.

give a dog a home but don't buy one. that's all I can say.

Oh yeah just one more thing I think is worth mentioning as you seem to be getting 2 as company for each other, the Jack Russell will probably live twice as long as the Rottie if that makes any difference to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Also a rottie bitch in Ashton. About 3 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

zenno wrote: »

The reason some (knowledgeable) people pay for a pup is for sound genetics.

What will the rescued pups genetics be like, will they be prone to a host of health problems in the future because of inbreeding? There are arguments for both rescuing a pup and for buying from a reputable breeder, it all depends on the situation.

Good breeders will pay to have the sire and damn health tested, which can include xrays for hip scores, elbow scores, eye tests, dna based tests, also the pups will be wormed, microchipped 1 round of vaccinations, all this cost money, if a breeder charges money and doesnt do these things then why pay for a puppy is absolutely true.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

beautiful 10 month old Rottie bitch in Dundalk animal rescue. She had her tail docked.:(

http://dundalkdogrescue.webs.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

The Munster Rothweiler Club is holding a Breed Show on 14th August at
    Ferryhouse Sports Complex Waterford Road, Clonmel
    Might be worth going along to this and get chatting to some breeders and exhibitors, You would definately be set on the right track with regards to good bloodlines and temperment!!

:) hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Donedeal can be both good and bad, that said, I got my Rottie from there and he is perfect, not from a byb. I still keep in touch with his breeder and have even met up with him since.

Your best bet would be to contact the Rottweiler Club of Ireland and or the IKC for contacts on who is breeding right now. A lot of the time now your pup will come with a sensible contract and your breeder will want to know a lot about you and why you want a Rottie before they sell you one of their pups. Also as posted above you could send a pm to Andreac who will give you great advice and help in finding your pup.

Best of luck in your search :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

good advise from garkane!!! :)
    here's the link to their site:
    http://www.rottweilerclubofireland.com/
    here's the link to the munster club i mentioned earlier:
    http://www.munsterrottweilerclub.com/

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I really would urge you to stay away from donedeal when buying a rottweiler. I check the ads daily and the amount of dodgy breeders with badly bred and bad quality rotties on it is unreal:mad:

Please contact the Rottweiler Club Of Ireland for more information on breeders and maybe pop over to a show and talk to some of us who can give you more information and help on buying one.

You really need to research your breeder as there are some very dodgy ones, even ones that have fancy websites etc so that is why the breed club comes in very useful to steer you towards the reputable breeders.

Any more questions just shout :)

Jolly, lots to read up here:), thanks for the replys everyone.

Andreac, 1 quick question.

The last Rottweiler I had pulled/tore his Cruciate Ligament, this is very very common apparently (it pops up as a suggestion when you start typing it in to google so it must be) and I'd heard of it when I'd bought him as a pup and with that in mind I gave him lots of fish (tins), put abit of Cod liver oil in everything, kept the weight under control with lots of walks through fields, he ended up a big dog though albeit of pure muscle-->I'd have thought this was a plus also.

But he still tore it:mad::(:confused: would a better breed dog like yours be as likely to tear it? I remember reading somewhere at the time the breeders in America were only using dogs that passed a battery of tests, trying to "breed" the flaws out of them, can that even be done? Probably a silly question.

Cruciate problems is very common in rotties and nearly everyone i know who owns and shows them has had at least one who has torn their cruciate.

Touch wood, my rottie, the male has never had a problem with lameness or had bother with any of his cruciates so ive been very lucky.

Giving fish oil or sardines etc wont prevent or help in regard to the Cruciate im afraid as its usually an injury that occurs through something like running or twisting it so it cant be prevented as such.

andreac wrote: »
    Giving fish oil or sardines etc wont prevent or help in regard to the Cruciate im afraid as its usually an injury that occurs through something like running or twisting it so it cant be prevented as such.
    Yea, my thinking was that it would make muscles/ligaments abit more elastic/stretchie and help prevent it but as you said, i think he ran in a hole and just twisted it, so it may well have been doing what I wanted but wasn't going to protect against that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lovelypink11

Hi everyone, im looking to buy a thoroughbred bichon frise. i have also heard dont go near done deal, but i dont know where else to go?? any suggestions?? thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi lovelypink,
    Good for you for avoiding Donedeal on the Bichon front: at the moment it is full of ads for Bichons, most look dodgy to say the least.
    You know, pics of Bichon pups sitting oon a chair in a house to make it look like they've always been there, but in fact their badly stained, weepy, sore eyes and stained paws reveal that they're being raised in dirty conditions, exposed to harvest mites etc. Pups raised inside with a caring breeder don't look like that!
    I would never, ever buy a pup that has been reared in a shed. They are far more prone to developing behavioural problems as a result of this impoverished upbringing: If I'm goign to buy a pup to be a pet dog, I want it to be well experienced with living in a house before I get it!

Anyway, I digress... Before getting sidetracked I came on here with the simple intention of asking you have you been in touch with the breed society yet?:)

Hi everyone, im looking to buy a thoroughbred bichon frise. i have also heard dont go near done deal, but i dont know where else to go?? any suggestions?? thanks :)

Contact Ashmair Bichons and see when they are planning some puppies. I highly recommend them:)

http://www.ashmairbichonfrise.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

My dogs are spayed, neutered all in perfect health and perfect weight all different ages. Either get a dog from a rescue or a responsible breeder, good breeders have waiting lists and don't need to advertise as much.
    Plenty of rotties come in to rescue just need to be patient and look outside of your immediate area look in to rescues in other counties, one will turn up.

Advertisement