Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Read A Clash of Kings or Wait for Game of Thrones Season 2?

Options
  • 17-07-2011 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Just Wondering What you Think of Reading A Clash of Kings before Game of Thrones Season 2.

I Loved the first season of Game of Thrones and I Would really like to know what happens next.

But I Would like to ask everyone who read A Game of Thrones before they Watched Season 1, Did You Still Enjoy it even though you Knew what was Going to Happen?

k Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

I have the set of books ordered so I'm gonna be reading them anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yes, reading the books enchanced watching the tv show as I knew more about what was going on.. instead of having to rely on the tv show for it all to make sense. There was no way they could explain everything in enough detail in a 10 episode run, as well as keep it interesting enough for people to watch.

reading the books will only make the show better for you imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

showsaf wrote: »
    Just Wondering What you Think of Reading A Clash of Kings before Game of Thrones Season 2.

I Loved the first season of Game of Thrones and I Would really like to know what happens next.

But I Would like to ask everyone who read A Game of Thrones before they Watched Season 1, Did You Still Enjoy it even though you Knew what was Going to Happen?

k Thanks

Like many screen adaptations, the book is better than the adaptation. If you accept my opinion on that count, then surely they tv series is spoiling the books and not vice versa! Go for it, but (just in case), if you haven't read GoT then you should read that first.

aye, there will be things in the first book that would have been left out of the first tv series and if you just jump into book 2 you'll likely be quite confused

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

showsaf wrote: »

k Thanks

Have you read the first book? I get the impression you haven't. If you haven'tthen i recommend start there, thats what i did. Reading the first book just adds so much more to the TV show. I am currently half way through the second book and loving it. But not going to read the third one till i have watched the second season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

It makes you very smug when people get horrified as their favorite characters die. :p So i'd say go for it. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes and read it from book 1 because there are great plot items cut out due to time constraints.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Nody wrote: »
    Yes and read it from book 1 because there are great plot items cut out due to time constraints.

This ^. Only on episode 3 of the show but already stuff has been slashed to pieces.

Also found it hilarious when Mr. X was beheaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I have just started reading GOT, and have a feeling I'm going to love it. Unfortunately I don't have Sky Atlantic, so will read the books anyway.

Someone spoiled it for me already, by telling me what happened one of the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Got the set of 5 books today, can't wait to finish the current read so I can start on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

On the topic of content being omitted from the tv series, is it just me or was the
    knight of flowers and Renly's relationship not present in the book
    ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

On the topic of content being omitted from the tv series, is it just me or was the
    ?
    Well
    I think it was mentioned in passing along the lines of that the knight of flowers is not interested in women or something like that around the tournament time line but it was not with Renly directly

it was hinted at by one or two characters, but not mentioned directly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

?

My favourite quote on the topic.
    Jamie Jannister: "Now sheathe your bloody sword, or I’ll take it from you and shove it up some place even Renly never found."

I don't think there are many references to it in the first book, if at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 s.kc

Just read the forth one there, I completely recommend reading the books starting from the first. The forth book however is by far the worst. The third is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I watched the series and it inspired me to read the books. Currently about half way through the Game of Thrones and loving it. Will dive straight into book 2 when finished. I must say though that there aren't many story threads cut out at all. Certainly there is alot of backstory and history that is left out for pacing reasons and something that gets 2 pages in the book might just get a quick nod in the show but otherwise the show is an extremely faithful adaptation with entire sections of dialogue lifted verbatim.

At least so far it is anyway. Definitely read the 1st book first though and move on from there. It's a joy to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭fearbainne

id never be into this kind of thing but my bro works on the set and i visited a couple of times then watched the show when it came out.. it made me read all the books, im hooked now, think the book is better than the show tho!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

analucija wrote: »
    It makes you very smug when people get horrified as their favorite characters die. :p So i'd say go for it. :D

It does take away the "OMG" moment though when you have no idea what is happening next in the TV show. I watched the TV show first so I'm sticking with that. I read enough other books!

Advertisement