Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is the minimum age to do driver theory test (car)?

Options
  • 17-07-2011 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm 15 and was thinking of doing my theory test in the very near future, just to give me one less thing to worry about after Transition Year. I know that once you pass the test, you have two years to claim your permit, so I'd be within the claim frame. What I need to know is whether there is any age limit as to when you can apply for the test? Please help - cheers ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

You can apply for the theory test any time but think its 15 or 16 is the recommended age as you can only apply for your first provisional when you turn 17 that is the minimum age requirement.

Ya its two years your theory test cert be valid for before you can apply for your first provisional so I assume its probably 15 when you can apply for the theory test. You still need to be 17 before you can attempt the driving test though, once you have had your first provisional for 6 months and had the 12 mandatory driving lessons since it has been enforced since the 4th of april of this year.

Good luck with your future test!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

doovdela wrote: »
    You can apply for the theory test any time but think its 15 or 16 is the recommended age as you can only apply for your first provisional when you turn 17 that is the minimum age requirement.

Ya its two years your theory test cert be valid for before you can apply for your first provisional so I assume its probably 15 when you can apply for the theory test. You still need to be 17 before you can attempt the driving test though, once you have had your first provisional for 6 months and had the 12 mandatory driving lessons since it has been enforced since the 4th of april of this year.

Good luck with your future test!

Thanks for the help. It's not really that hard is it? :o Lol I hope not anyways but I'm just wondering is it worth buying the book? :confused: Cheers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭GSI

don't waste your money on the book. borrow the CD from the library or a friend and keep doing the sample test. if you spend time at it you will pass. the majority of it is common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

No its not too hard if you study it properly and practise it with the CD. The book is good enough but to be certain you know your stuff it be wise to have the CD as well that way it will get your get yourself prepared for the actual test!

I found using the two very helpful in preparing for the theory test. Most people find the cd alone is enough but I find its better to have the two in case you loose one of them or something happens to them as the CD might not always last! Spend a few hours a day, that way you can build it up your study review and it be no problem. If you understand it you fly it no bother.

Make sure you understand the tricky questions the ones with the motorcycle and the car ones with the picture that usually are the hardest ones. There are a few that are tricky cause the one that makes sense might not always be the right answer but generally if they make sense they usually are the right answer sometimes the questions can be a bit silly but answer them as best you can. Read the questions carefully too as you might mistake a question that might want one answer but might need 2, 3 or 4 answers! Even misreading a question could have a dire impact on your answer so watch out! Read the questions carefully and know what you are being asked so that way you have an idea what the right answer is. Practise makes perfect! I still practise them even though I'm on my 2nd provisional, its handy while learning to drive as its an easier way to learn the rules of the road! Its a good idea to borrow the cd/book if you can if the edition hasn't been updated! 4th edition is the most recent I think!

Good luck with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Colie16

Hi All im 16 and was thinking of doing my theory test in the future i'd like if you could give me any suggestions

Colm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭the irish fella

you can do it at 14 because it is in date for 2 years and you can get the tractor lincense at 16 and car at 17 i done mine few days after i turned 15 it was easy when i done it got 38 outta 40

Advertisement