Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering a car?

Options
  • 17-07-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Greetings chaps, hope someone might be able to help.

I've moved over to London about 4 months ago and brought over the car. Now as I'm settled and not going home anytime soon I want to register my car here so I can get new plates and tax and insure the car.

I've looked up some info online from the DVLA but not everything is clear.

Has anyone done this and how easy or hard was it to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭the_god_swan

Hey OP I went through this 6 months ago, it seemed like a huge uphill challenge when I started but its fairly straight forward:

Step 1. This is your stating point with the DVLA website http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022583 and specifically the 'Previously used vehicle' section. Select the 'Order an ‘import pack’ link, complete order details and tick the 'Import Pack'.

It only takes a few days to receive this pack and it contains all the documents that you need to complete to get the ball rolling. Within this pack you will get a booklet which is good with explaining what needs to be completed, ie. not all forms will be necessary for you. Google 'dvla import pack contents' and look for the result '[PDF] How to import your vehicle into Great Britain', this will give you a head start and a list of what the pack includes.

Step 2. Insurance... this was a balls for me. As not being a UK resident and having an import car I got raped in the quote. After much searching and calling companies only 2 would consider insuring a non-resident. I'm now with Adrian Flux (I cannot remember the other company but they were even more expensive). Note though my brother is also with them and got a decent quote for having a common UK sold car.

Step 3. Get an MOT done. As you probably know you can get them done anywhere, but depending on the guy you meet will depend on the work you may need to get done. For example, I had to get a fog light installed and wired up to the mains and switch added to my dash. My brother had to get his Irish plates re-made in yellow to pass... madness. But luckily my MOT guy did not pick up on the fact that my speedometer is in km : )

Step 4. Once all your forms are complete, get your self down to your local DVLA office (in person if possible to make the process faster) with your postal order for the tax disk. Your Irish car ownership form etc.

A few days later it should be all happy days for you when you receive your new Uk doc's back.

Step 5. Get your UK plates made up....

Hope it goes smoothly for you ;)

P.s. Any Irish person I know just drives around on our Irish driving licences, word of mouth suggests that's grand to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Drogman.

Nice one The God Swan, thanks for the detailed info.

I've got the forms alright but the rest I just needed to be sure.

Hopefully I won't get stung with the colour plates, but the rest should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Just to add one or two things from my own experience,

1. MOT should be no problem at all, I got it done at a Kwik-Fit, booked it online and it cost £35 if I remember correctly. The number plates were no problem, the guy didn't even know they were Irish at first :D

2. Insurance was the most annoying thing, because you need one that insures you temporarily on the basis of the VIN. And there aren't that many...but if you go to one of the comparison websites available, it filters those that will insure you and I got an acceptable quote from elephant.co.uk.

3. One other document that you need to have is an EU Certificate of conformity for the exact make/model of the car. I had found conflicting information about where and how to get it at first and was told that it would be expensive. Turned out I got it for free, no hassle, just rang the main dealer in Ireland and had it in the post a few days later.

then on to all the other various forms and you're good to go, best of luck!

With regard to driving on the foreign licence (EU), the official regulations say you are allowed to drive on it for 3 years after becoming resident in the UK, then you must exchange for a UK licence...personally I find this ridiculous, not sure what I'll do should I decide to stay longer, I won't give up my EU driving licence that easily ;)

Nice one thanks for the advice.

Just out of interest, have any of you changed your number plates? And if so how much did it cost? I saw a site where you can bid on some plates from £250 onwards.

Also out of interest how much did the insurance cost for your cars just using the VIN number? I've had a look on some of the comparison sites and the prices are crazy, well compared to what I paid at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Not sure what you mean with changing number plates? Do you mean getting customised plates? That might of course be more expensive.
    If you just want normal plates done up once you have received your new registration documents there are many places that do them. I went for the cheapest option and got them done for £20 or so at Halfords.

Insurance worked out a little more expensive than in Ireland, however, as car tax on the other hand is a lot cheaper, it wasn't too bad.
    I got a quote for elephant.co.uk on a comparison website, rang them up, explained that I was in the process of registering the car. I paid the premium for the year and they sent me the insurance cert that had the VIN on it. Once I had then registered the car I gave them the new reg details and they posted me the proper cert - easier than I had originally feared.

• Advertisement

Yeah just getting normal number plates. That's grand, if it can cost £20 then I can live with that.

That's grand, thanks for all the info, I think that's plenty to go with now. I think I'll book the MOT test now and see how it goes.

Cheers for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Unless your car is worth at least 5k dont register is in the UK sell your car in Ireland and buy here! Once you register it in the UK it has droped about 25% in value! Due to VRT tax added to the car in Ireland

afatbollix wrote: »
    Unless your car is worth at least 5k dont register is in the UK sell your car in Ireland and buy here! Once you register it in the UK it has droped about 25% in value! Due to VRT tax added to the car in Ireland

I'm not that bothered about that to be honest. Once it's registered here then it's staying here, sold or not.

Advertisement