Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work experience

Options
  • 17-07-2011 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all,
    I'm a student in NUI Galway at the minute studying for an Arts degree, heading into final year. My plan is to do a masters in journalism though and I've been working on getting work experience as much as possible for my application, so far I've done it with a regional radio station, a national newspaper, my college newspaper and college radio.
    Now I have none lined up however and I want to start working on this. I work full time during the summer which does cause a slight problem but I'd like to find out which stations/papers or even TV stations take on students. I'm based in Offaly but would do the experience in Galway, Dublin or the midlands during the college year.
    Any help would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Galway or the midlands? I'd suggest contacting iRadio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DaveOConnor notanalias

Hey Buddy, this is Dave from iRadio - If you want to send on all your details to me, I will pass them on to the relevant person for you, you seem like a person who is keen to get places so why not give you a hand.

dave@iradio.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 missymoomoo

I too am in the same situation. You're very lucky Dodgyjammer as even my local papers won't even reply to me. Am currently working on articles with the hope that a paper might publish them. I've also tried local radio stations and the only ones to reply were iRadio. However, I will be joining College radio and newpaper when I return in September so hopefully that will work out. My next plan is to ask to work shadow rather than looking for experience. Best of Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

I think 99% of people looking for work experience are in the same position myself included. You just have to keep asking stations if anything has come up or whatever. It's hard to get work experience or indeed work anywhere these days. I'm doing a Masters in Broadcast Production next year in the hopes that might lead somewhere fingers and toes and all that crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If you think finding work EXPERIENCE in radio is difficult, wait until you try to find paid work!

• Advertisement
Advertisement