Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids surfing/Bodyboarding???

Options
  • 17-07-2011 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi folks......planning on heading off on the van for a few days over the coming weeks. The young lads (age 6 & 7yrs) have decided that they want to go surfing/body boarding. They have never done it before and TBH Im not sure where they got the idea from (oh to be 7 again :D)
    The plan is that were going initially to push up along the North East coast as far as Co Down and then head "surfing" for a day or 2.
    Now the question for you guys is "where to"?
    The criteria is that I must be able to hire kids sized gear (wetsuits, body boards etc) and that I must be able to camp close by (site or wild camp).

All suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭meercat

achill
    keel to be more specific
    plenty of wild camp spots around
    if you never visited here ,you are missing out

there is an excellent campsite right on the beach though
    http://www.achillcamping.com/

you can get lessons and hire equipment on the beach too
    http://www.achilltourism.com/surfing.html

http://www.achilltourism.com/watersports.html

if you use the campsite ,all this is within 100 yds
    i know its on the west coast but i think most of the best surf is way out west

if you are going here bring the bikes too

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MABLACK

Strandhill in Co Sligo has surf lessons with lovely campsite just couple of minutes walk from surf centre, also some good pubs and restaurants, seaweed baths and massage, lovely scenery, walks, etc. there should be enough to keep everyone happy

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

If you are in the kerry area, Inch beach is a good spot, you can wildcamp on the beach also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

MABLACK wrote: »
    Strandhill in Co Sligo has surf lessons with lovely campsite just couple of minutes walk from surf centre, also some good pubs and restaurants, seaweed baths and massage, lovely scenery, walks, etc. there should be enough to keep everyone happy

Was there recently. Didn't think much of the site and they knew how to charge.

Strandhill itself was a great spot - 2 excellent pubs, lovey Chinese. We really only slept in the camper.

Would I go back - probably but my stay at the caravan park would be a reluctant one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

dfbemt wrote: »
    MABLACK wrote: »

Was there recently. Didn't think much of the site and they knew how to charge.

Strandhill itself was a great spot - 2 excellent pubs, lovey Chinese. We really only slept in the camper.

Would I go back - probably but my stay at the caravan park would be a reluctant one.
    Bundoran has plenty of surf schools. There is an "aire" there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Macy0161

A friend stayed in Strandhill - while she enjoyed it, and the surf lessons, she didn't think it was that suitable for children. Admittedly, ours are a bit younger than 6 and 7 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bo.jangles

*Kol* wrote: »
    Is it a proper "AIRE" sign posted and easy to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Cheers folks....thanks for the replies......now hoping for decent weather

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Is there really? I can't remember seeing it. Care to refresh ones old memory?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭joed571

I live four miles away and never seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Just so you know while strandhill is great its a no swimming beach with no lifeguard. I was going to suggest achill myself that's where we used to get the best bodyboarding as kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

joed571 wrote: »

I live four miles away and never seen it.

It's behind where the cinema and Lidl are in the centre of the town so not very obvious. The reason I wrote it as "aire" is because I too have not used it but have passed by a few times whilst at the subway, coffee shop and Indian restaurant, cinema beside it, plus a kids play world. I am not normally in the MH when I am there anyway.

Apparently they have electric etc etc but I do not know what they charge per night. There is also a boom gate into it so they must have some security/reception to give access.

I think it was closed over the winter but it was open a few weeks ago when I passed by. For location in the town and the amenities nearby it seems like a good location. You are not more than a 10 minute walk from anything in the town including the beach.

I can't recall if there are any signs for it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭joed571

It's behind where the cinema and Lidl.
    I can't recall if there are any signs for it at all.

I know that one, no signs for it as you said also heard its around 15 euro per night. most campers just park in the supervalu carpark.

Advertisement