Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What content do people want on the website?

Options
  • 17-07-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Just to keep this seperate from the name related thread over yonder, what do people want to see on the site content wise?
    This is not to talk about the appearance and layout of the site - that's a whole different kettle of fish. This is purely about what content you would like to see on the site.

Suggestions from the previous thread (please don't murder me if I forgot someone's suggestion) are:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I think the podcast idea would be a huge boost for the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

I agree with Doom with the podcast, it'd would also be great to add something that people will go straight to SF.ie for, more community activity on the site

Player interviews individually wouldn't be fantastic thats why the podcast can pick up the slack on that

An event calender could be of minor use but would definitely help people who don't wander amongst us on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I still feel we are eventually going to need to get our own forum for the site that is separate from boards.ie. Truth be told, its kind of unprofessional the fact the forum for the site redirects to another site ( Yes, I know it's an amateur not for profit site but still. )

Yes, I know forum software costs money and I know that running a forum can be a pain in the a$$ ( I've seen it before on other sites where the moderators get a bit carried way with their power ) but this is something that most seriously be considered in the future.

A workaround for now might to have the forum open in a new window / tab so that the user isn't taken away from the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

Get people to talk about their mains and so on? I guess that'd fall under 'podcast' but for content, get say stev0 to talk about honda, doom to talk about guile, why they like them, things they don't like about them, 'this players history with this character', type thing. Fairly vague idea i know, but to say fans of fighting games from other countries it could give that 'personal touch' to make them interested int the irish scene and keep them looking at videos and the site. Wouldn't be of much interest to you guys as you all know each other and I'm sure have talked about your various mains at length with each other, but people who've never been here it might pique their interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

On-line points based league has me definitely interested. I think it would get alot of traffic to the site from people actually involved at least, constantly checking and whatnot. Might be an incentive for more new people to come along and join, because while not everyone is competitive, there are alot who are, who would join just for that sort of thing. Myself included.

Knowing Me, Knowing You / Player Interviews is a nice little thing you could have on the site not for generating alot of traffic, just some standard content that newcomers can come along and check out and familiarize themselves with members of our community.

I'd like to see some basic tutorials/glossary of terms we use, for the newcomers to the community once again, so that they aren't left completely confused when they first come to any casuals or tournaments when we start calling someone Salty or whatever basic term to us we have, but newcomers wouldn't have a clue what we mean by the word unless we explain it to them there.

Basic Tutorials aren't really a big thing since there are plenty of in-game tutorials, but generally just something explaining the basics of terms specific to each game, like Focus Cancelling in SF, Guard Primers and Barrier Bursting in BB. Just basic stuff explained for them, there doesn't need to be a whole lot on this like I said, there are plenty of in-game stuff.

I'd like to see a Glossary of terms though at least, just stuff like that to help out any newcomers with our terms and what have ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Re: forum, The speedhaak told me the one he uses for mordor mashup is free. The community has moved wholesale from edge where it started.

Oh and speaking of edge, there one is free too.

Content; The most important thing is not to have content lingering for days unchanged.
    I think News, and vids, culled from the rest of the internets is the best way to avoid this. We won't realistically have interviews, opinion pieces every day so this is a good way to avoid stagnation.

An event calender of some kind would be great (i know there is something along those lines but i haven't looked into it)

Oh and I'd love an @streetfighter.ie email, It would be great to use when emailing out various ****, it would look far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I agree with a good turnover of articles, but I don't think the current system of just tagging them as catagories is working too well for that. At the risk of straying dangerously into layout discussion, I reckon we need a few buttons at the top to filter the site by catagory.
    Until a new front end is put together, a constant turnover of news is still needed though.
    Player interviews individually wouldn't be fantastic thats why the podcast can pick up the slack on that
    Aw. No respect for the Knowing Me Knowing Yous. :(
    http://streetfighter.ie/index.php/2011/07/14/knowing-me-knowing-you-atrak/

Also of importance is that you boards viewers make an effort to check the site! Kneecap's been posting stuff there for weeks (months?) with very few views and now that I'm also going to start posting stuff, it'll have a pretty regular turnover. No point in any of that nonsense if no one goes looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I love the Knowing Me Knowing You interviews, they´re a nice addition to the site to give it a more personal feel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Got a cool idea

Why not have a tutorial video on each players main character like cross counter done with that Ryu DVD?

We could have a host or different hosts each week to come in and sit down with a player from the community who has the most knowledge about their character and knows all the tips and tricks to become gdlk and get through the basics, intermediates and advanced skills of the character

Vids could take up to an 1h and 30mins be done in the space of 2hours[30mins break in between]

Seems like a real valuable contribution not only to newcomers to the game/'s but, to aspiring players who are looking to switch up or learn from the best

Best part is that everybody can be involved in it, [granted you know your s**t]

I know this was mentioned previously in the thread but, truly its brilliant to showcase what this community knows and what its about

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

And I'm sure we have at least one person in the community who could piece together the footage with some cool overlay, effects and transitions. ;)

Nutrient wrote: »
    Got a cool idea

Why not have a tutorial video on each players main character like cross counter done with that Ryu DVD?

We could have a host or different hosts each week to come in and sit down with a player from the community who has the most knowledge about their character and knows all the tips and tricks to become gdlk and get through the basics, intermediates and advanced skills of the character

Vids could take up to an 1h and 30mins be done in the space of 2hours[30mins break in between]

Seems like a real valuable contribution not only to newcomers to the game/'s but, to aspiring players who are looking to switch up or learn from the best

Best part is that everybody can be involved in it, [granted you know your s**t]

I know this was mentioned previously in the thread but, truly its brilliant to showcase what this community knows and what its about

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Good interview here by Gootecks

http://www.complexitygaming.com/news/2947/#

If I can summarise what I think his basic points are about producing your own content:
    • Do it now rather than later, because FG media always picks up and reposts new content because there's so little news. Later this won't be the case and it'll harder to get exposure if you wait too long
    • You don't need to be the best player to produce content, just be funny and engaging. The audience is attracted to personalities, not playstyle

So who has the best personalities in the scene?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

MONDAY NIGHT MAYHEM, f10 [i,e like the epic match between me and unky - the score was settled, you will notice he dont talk smack anymore. I called it the FITZPATRICK mega bash]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I'd love to do/see something like the Running Sets videos that Mike Ross does. They're hugely entertaining and not that difficult to set up.
    All you need is a camera, a mike, a direct video recording device (maybe a powered splitter) and a willing punchbag every week.

I'd agree with the unique content style - knowing me knowing you, podcasts, character tutorials, sets, etc. Too hard to stand out onbthe news side o things and people have the sites the go to. Believe me, I've tried the reporting everything that happens - takes a lot of time, needs a lot of people and doesn't garner significant returns in terms of views...

Of course, I would include Irish news and events.

🤪

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sairus wrote: »
    All you need is a camera, a mike, a direct video recording device (maybe a powered splitter) and a willing punchbag every week.

If only we had someone with a doomcam, two mikes, a hauppage hd pvr, a cheap chinese knock off splitter and AJ we could do that. :D

If only we had someone with a doomcam, two mikes, a hauppage hd pvr, a cheap chinese knock off splitter and AJ we could do that. :D

But where do you find an item as unique and rare as a doomcam?!

🤪

Advertisement