Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing Novice

Options
  • 17-07-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I'm looking to get started in fishing - inland waterways. Any tips/advice?

I live near the grand canal in kildare. Do u need a licence? What equipment to use? Are there angling clubs in kildare. any other info?

Also whats the best age for a youngster to start...

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I live near the grand canal in kildare. Do u need a licence? What equipment to use? Are there angling clubs in kildare. any other info?

Thanks.
    I dont no much about coarse fishing but dont think u need a licence to fish in the canal.u need alot of equiptment fr coarse fishing id imagine.u need alot of bait people usually go down to the spot they are fishing and prebait it or groundbait. u could try for pike in the canal either fish for them with a float and dead bait or u could try lure fishing spinning.
    im into fly fishing myself dont no much about fishin in the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Thanks.

No license is required for coarse fishing in Ireland at the moment. Some lakes have started using a day ticket method but the majority of them are still free and all coarse fishing on canals and rivers is free except on ESB controlled waters.

For canal fishing you would be looking at light float fishing methods using a float rod or a pole. For a beginner i would suggest you invest in a float rod and a small reel. Your best bet is to visit your nearest tackle shop.
    Countryman Angling in Naas.
    The Space Store in Prosperous.
    Finlays Angling Centre in Monasterevin.
    If you google any of these shops you will get the relevant contact information.

All these places will be only too happy to help you get started and will point you in the right direction as to wheres fishing and information about local clubs in Kildare, which there are several.

As for the best age to start fishing, the younger the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lukich79

I am new to inland water fishing this season also,

If the canal is not full of reeds on the bottom you could consider an open ended feeder, I have caught roach, dace and bream using this method. Only recomended if the bottom is reed free. You need to mix brown crumb with other feed recomended maybe from ur local tackle shop. U mix it all up in a bowl, with water and a few maggots thrown in, u need to keep casting into the same location, reeling in and refilling the feeder every 10 mins or so.
    the idea is to spread a field of groundbait on the canal bed to attract fish in.
    you should have a size 16 hook on a 6lb 18" leader of off the feeder, stick a couple of red maggots on the hook, hooked through the "bearded end", keep a bit of tension on the line to detect bites. Could take several hours of feeding the swim to attract a schoal in. once you hit one there should be more.

ask in your local tackle store.

this might help:http://www.coarse-fishing-tips.co.uk/openended-feeder.html

thats all ive learned since starting this year,
    I'm now obsessed over catching a trout, but all i've hit is perch so far.

gonna start a noob trout thread,just thought i would share what i've learned so far,
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭boffin54321

Thanks for the info guys..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

super-rush wrote: »
    No license is required for coarse fishing in Ireland at the moment.

need a license to fish the river suck, they have the power to take your tackle off you if caught without one. However, they are mainly targetting poachers, heard a few stories of poachers getting caught by the fisheries board. about time too!

Best of luck with the fishing op, best bit of advice i could give you is go fishing with someone experienced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement