Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner

Options
  • 16-07-2011 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Hi,I've always had an interest in cycling such as the tour de france etc but have never purchased a road bike.I've only done casual cycling such as commuting on my mountain bike.I want to buy a racing bike but nothing too dear and wouldn't be doing crazy distances maybe 30 40 km...any recommendations?thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Going to need a budget and can you buy online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Sorry ya hopefully keep it below 500 cause i'm only starting and yes i can buy online :)

In that budget you may be best off looking for a bike on the second hand market. A Trek 1.2 or Giant Defy 3/4 will probably fall into that price range.

If you can use BTW then a Canyon Roadlite 6.0 will be a good option online or a KTM Strada 1000 is a good option for buying in the shops.

Things to look out for would be the groupsets and wheels to make sure you're getting a good deal.
    If if the bikes have Shimano gears, you'll probably be looking at a Tiagra or Tiagra/105 mixture.
    The order of worst to best in Shimano goes as Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace.

Ultegra and Dura Ace, you only really need if you're into racing but for what you want either Tiagra or 105 will be fine.
    Sora would also do fine but you'll probably do better if you can get BTW.

Hope that helps. :)

thanks absolutley brilliant help :) how much would i be looking at for those second hand bikes and could you give a link for a few sites?i know this is gonna sound stupid but whats btw? :p and lastly are the bikes you mentioned in the second paragraph also second hand?cheers :D

BTW is Bike To Work. We have heaps loads of info on it here.

The bikes I mentioned you would be looking at between €350-€550 depending on the year, condition and ultimately, the seller.
    The one's I've linked to are both first hand. The Canyon can only be bought online through their website and the KTM can be bought in The Cycle Inn in Tallaght, Dublin 24.

Do you mean sites for first hand bikes or second hand bikes?
    Sites for first hand:
    And there are more.
    For buying second hand I'd look ad www.adverts.ie and the buy and sell section of this forum.
    It's also going into your LBS(local bike shop) and ask if they have any second hand bikes in.

I should have mentioned earlier, if you don't already know what size bike you take you should go to a bike shop and try a few/ask the staff to help you find the right size for you. Most LBS staff will be happy to help as finding the right size is a HUGE part of buying a bike.
    A bike the wrong size could put you off cycling completely.

:)

• Advertisement

everything i need right there your the man :) thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 33 InkDispatch

If you buy a road bike online is it difficult to put it all together when it comes in a box, as I assume it is not pre-assembled?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you buy a road bike online is it difficult to put it all together when it comes in a box, as I assume it is not pre-assembled?

They tend to be pre-assembled then slightly disassembled for packing. You usually just have to put on the rear derailleur, saddle/seatpost, handlebars, maybe the wheels. All the gears, brakes etc will be perfectly set up.

It's all really easy, just a couple of minutes with an allen key.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 InkDispatch

Lumen wrote: »
    They tend to be pre-assembled then slightly disassembled for packing. You usually just have to put on the rear derailleur, saddle/seatpost, handlebars, maybe the wheels. All the gears, brakes etc will be perfectly set up.

It's all really easy, just a couple of minutes with an allen key.

Cheers - I was looking at a Viking Torino road bike, does anyone have any feedback on this bike for a starter bike?

Advertisement