Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDF > After week 2 > who wins ?

Options
  • 16-07-2011 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

This is the top 8: winner will surely come from here, but.............who ?

1 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Team Europcar 61:04:10
    2 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek 0:01:49
    3 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:02:06
    4 Andy Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek 0:02:15
    5 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:03:16
    6 Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 0:03:44
    7 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Saxo Bank Sungard 0:04:00
    8 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre - ISD 0:04:01

Who wins ? 84 votes

Thomas Voeckler
    0% 0 votes
    Fränk Schleck
    14% 12 votes
    Cadel Evans
    9% 8 votes
    Andy Schleck
    40% 34 votes
    Ivan Basso
    17% 15 votes
    Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez
    2% 2 votes
    Alberto Contador Velasco
    2% 2 votes
    Damiano Cunego
    13% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Get your vote in before tomorrow folks ;)
    I went with Andy as he seems to be the one with the most gears, despite burning alot of energy for nothing the other day, he's still relatively fresh, he has a good team around him, and I'm presuming he'll (forget about his brother &) put in 'better' attacks in the Alps :o. Cadel is an obvious danger, he'll just soldier on like he has been doing without loosing too much time, Sanchez is a dark-horse especially if they keep letting him go !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Unless something massive happens (huge and successful attack from Contador/Andy Schleck) I can't see Evans not making up any deficit in the time trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

My head says Andy Schleck but my heart wants Cadel to win.

However, were Voeckler to win I think it would be superb, and Lance seems to think he's in with a far more realisitic chance than people give him credit for. Or at least that's what I gathered from his tweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Voeckler has shown both character and balls, something that neither of the Schleck brothers seem to have. I really wish him the best. If he manages to survive the alps without losing too much time, I think he will do the TT of his life. I don't know who will win it, but I think Andy will eventually do something as he knows his TT sucks, although we might not see anything before Alpe-d’Huez. It's certainly a very entertaining tour so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

I'd like to see Voeckler hold on and win, but don't think it's likely. I'd also love to see Contador stage a massive attack on Galibier or Ald d'Huez and win, then I'd like the Schlecks to watch a continuous loop of his victory from now until TdF 2012 so that they'd eventually grasp how to win a race.

Unfortunately, I suspect the whiny antipodean wheel-sucker will avoid losing time this week, then get into yellow after the TT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭LCD

Have to see feel for Bradley Wiggins. The way things have panned out so far he would be sitting very pretty. Really hoping for Evans, though wouldn't mind seeing Andy or Frank up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Guybrush T wrote: »
    I'd like to see Voeckler hold on and win, but don't think it's likely. I'd also love to see Contador stage a massive attack on Galibier or Ald d'Huez and win, then I'd like the Schlecks to watch a continuous loop of his victory from now until TdF 2012 so that they'd eventually grasp how to win a race.

Unfortunately, I suspect the whiny antipodean wheel-sucker will avoid losing time this week, then get into yellow after the TT.

are you referring to cadel as the wheel sucker, the lad is hard worker, has clearly proven his talent over last 2seasons, and he chased down most attacks himself, he tried one attack to stretch it out he doesnt need take risks to win this just stick around.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭G2ECE

Hand on my heart, I hope Voeckler wins it but I can't shake my suspicions, given how good he rode on Saturday in particular with all of the Big Boys. Can a 32 year old improve like that?? I pray to God that he's doing it clean. That said I think Cadel is looking very good for the win. Schlecks need to grow a pair (should that be 4???) and go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭death1234567

Andy schleck if he learns how to attack properly in the mountains and not spend half the race looking behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I've gone for Sanchez as I think that would be a great result. That's more fan support though, Evans would be my "realistic" bet. Having said that, Voekler would be fantastic too, but somehow I don't see it happening.

I'd love to see Frandy and Steakboy mark eachother out and have Evans and Sanchez break and get a couple of minutes. Evans being the better TTer would probably hold out for the overall win, but another stage by Sanchez in the Alps would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

I'm amazed that everybody seems to have written Contador off! I hope you're all right but I'm guessing he's going to be very strong this week!
    Heart says Voeckler or Evans but head says Contador!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Praying for Evans, surely this time !

... anything but Frandy :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Bertie or Evans with Basso or Sanchez to round off the podium.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

1. Evans, 2. Basso, 3. ASchleck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Voeckler.

Believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ROK ON wrote: »
    Bertie or Evans with Basso or Sanchez to round off the podium.
    this
    1. Evans, 2. Basso, 3. ASchleck.

or this

i would love

andy lost me whining over chaingate (esp after his brother had deliberatly fallen off in front of bert and broken his collarboone on the cobbles)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

niceonetom wrote: »
    Voeckler.

Believe.

Believe, Don't be a cancer lover .....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Can Voeckler put in that kind of performance..............again, he looked very comfortable last Sat, constantly out of the saddle, chasing all attacks, even in his post-race interview he seemed fresh. I mean he defended the yellow very professionally, as if he has been doing it for years! As Kelly said on ES "....he was 'unbelievable' ".
    The general consensus is that Evans will diesel his way up the Alps and then win it with a good TT, and Andy's boss Anderson thinks it will be decided by the TT aswell, all this bodes for a boring few stages in the Alps :(
    I guess the problem with Andy is that he needs some serious time advantage before the TT and that is going to be very difficult, ie. he has a great burst of speed on climbs but is not able to maintain this advantage, he then slackens off and the diesels come back at him. Actually has he ever made a burst and stayed away for a good 2 or 3 minute advantage ?! Maybe he needs to do multiple quick-fire attacks, if he's capable of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

I'd love to see Sanchez win it, and I think he might have done if Euskaltel weren't so utterly useless in the TTT.

What's completely ridiculous is that Contador could very likely affect the result but end up disqualified. What are the others supposed to do if he attacks? Go with him and risk losing time on everyone else? Or let him go and hope the UCI ultimately do the right thing?

Yeah, maybe that question does answer itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

Voeckler. shows alot of courage with that yellow jersey on him. He will fight like hell to keep it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I chose bertie from the start so i'm not going to change my colours now but his form is not as impressive as in the giro.
    Andy s, him with the 360 degree headturn should just go and forget about his bro, he seems to have the legs and he needs minutes over evans to compensate for his abysmal TT skills.
    1 Contador?
    2 Evans
    3 A schleck?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'd love to see Sanchez win it, and I think he might have done if Euskaltel weren't so utterly useless in the TTT.

What's completely ridiculous is that Contador could very likely affect the result but end up disqualified. What are the others supposed to do if he attacks? Go with him and risk losing time on everyone else? Or let him go and hope the UCI ultimately do the right thing?

Yeah, maybe that question does answer itself.

If Voeckler can't win it then I'd like Sanchez to, as he's actually TRIED.

Regarding Contador, the UCI have no say in the matter as his case has gone to arbitration (the CAS), and their decision is binding on all parties.

Since the CAS's decision is binding, it follows that their decision will be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Just had a look over the last few time trials for the tour de france. In the last two years, Andy Schleck has never lost more than 1 min 30 to Contador, and Evans has been hit and miss but again, has never gained huge time on Schleck when he was competitive.
    Voeckler looks like an even worse TT, so on that basis, i think he will have one bad day in the mountains and will fall apart there after.
    If Andy can get into the yellow before the TT, then i suspect he will put in a massive TT and won't lose more than a minute to any of the main rivals.

Evans has in the past has had one off day in the mountains, I don't think Contador has the form. Frank seems to be going well, as does Basso.
    More in hope than expectation, My prediction:
    1-Andy
    2-Frank
    3-Basso

Come on Andy..

Advertisement