Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell/IRC/Lucan/Tiernans/UCD League - RR Championships

Options
  • 16-07-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭

Good circuit today, but tough. I was towards the back coming to the first time up Poulaphuca climb, and the guy ahead of me decided to take the turn as a pure right angle (about the only reason to explain why he was hauling on the brakes but not actually turning into the bend despite losing all speed). He must have held up quite a few others too. I got past him but found I didn't have the legs to close the gap to the back of the group. Kept chasing and was joined by 3 others and between us we managed to get back on a couple of km before the end of that first lap, thanks largely to the big turns put in by two Tiernans guys - I put in efforts whenever I could but I wasn't able to contribute as much as I'd have liked as I spent most of the time at my absolute limit.

Got dropped again the second time up Poulaphuca. Got very close to the back of the group but couldn't close those last few metres. Ended up working with one of the two Tiernans guys from earlier again, but again I couldn't match his efforts and despite getting the bunch in view again just before the turn for the back of the lakes we couldn't make it across. I blew just after the turn. Recovered a bit and tagged on the back of 3 Orwell guys coming past but got dropped again some time later before being swept up by a mixed bunch who I stayed with through Manor Kilbride and back round to the final turn to the last climb of the day.

Got dropped yet again on that last climb and gurned my way up to the finish a minute or two behind that last group. I didn't see anyone finish behind me so believe I was last on the day - I'm consoling myself with the theory that quite a few people didn't finish at all though I've no idea at all of actual numbers so this may just be blind optimism.

Distance: 38 miles. Ave speed: 20.6mph. Time: bleedin' ages.

But that wasn't the end of my ignominy. Going back through Brittas I turned around to say goodbye to one or our group that was stopping there. Mid twist my right shoe unclipped and hit the road. I wibbled, I wobbled, my front wheel bounced off the foot of the other guy I was riding with, but I managed to stay up and more importantly not wipe out the other guy as result of my stupidity. There are some days when I wonder whether I should be allowed out of the house. In the meantime I think it's time I replaced my cleats. And my legs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

doozerie wrote: »
    Good circuit today, but tough. I was towards the back coming to the first time up Poulaphuca climb, and the guy ahead of me decided to take the turn as a pure right angle (about the only reason to explain why he was hauling on the brakes but not actually turning into the bend despite losing all speed). He must have held up quite a few others too. I got past him but found I didn't have the legs to close the gap to the back of the group. Kept chasing and was joined by 3 others and between us we managed to get back on a couple of km before the end of that first lap, thanks largely to the big turns put in by two Tiernans guys - I put in efforts whenever I could but I wasn't able to contribute as much as I'd have liked as I spent most of the time at my absolute limit.

Got dropped again the second time up Poulaphuca. Got very close to the back of the group but couldn't close those last few metres. Ended up working with one of the two Tiernans guys from earlier again, but again I couldn't match his efforts and despite getting the bunch in view again just before the turn for the back of the lakes we couldn't make it across. I blew just after the turn. Recovered a bit and tagged on the back of 3 Orwell guys coming past but got dropped again some time later before being swept up by a mixed bunch who I stayed with through Manor Kilbride and back round to the final turn to the last climb of the day.

Got dropped yet again on that last climb and gurned my way up to the finish a minute or two behind that last group. I didn't see anyone finish behind me so believe I was last on the day - I'm consoling myself with the theory that quite a few people didn't finish at all though I've no idea at all of actual numbers so this may just be blind optimism.

Distance: 38 miles. Ave speed: 20.6mph. Time: bleedin' ages.

But that wasn't the end of my ignominy. Going back through Brittas I turned around to say goodbye to one or our group that was stopping there. Mid twist my right shoe unclipped and hit the road. I wibbled, I wobbled, my front wheel bounced off the foot of the other guy I was riding with, but I managed to stay up and more importantly not wipe out the other guy as result of my stupidity. There are some days when I wonder whether I should be allowed out of the house. In the meantime I think it's time I replaced my cleats. And my legs.

at least you finished,

the tiernans guys you mention i think was my brother, sure only 1 tiernans lad finished, Tuc, our expensive Mongolian import,

that course very challenging, and thats not even factoring in the weather,

well done on finishing!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

the tiernans guys you mention i think was my brother, sure only 1 tiernans lad finished, Tuc, our expensive Mongolian import,

This guy has tattoos on his arms. If that is your brother then tell him sorry from me 'cos it must have seemed like I was ignoring his calls for us to get organised - in reality I just couldn't contribute at times so skipped turns when I felt I couldn't put an effort in. He's strong - I was out of my league! I went past him later while sandbagging on the back of the Orwell trio as I'd recovered a bit by then. I felt a bit bad about that but if it's any consolation to him I blew yet again a few kilometres later.

If Tuc finished then there must have been at least 3 Tiernan's finishers. There was one Tiernans guy (riding a black Canyon) in the last group I was with and he was chasing down another Tiernans guy (riding a black DeRosa I think) not far up the road, and both of them finished ahead of me.

Well I say that I finished the course, but the course knows that it really finished me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

This guy has tattoos on his arms. If that is your brother then tell him sorry from me 'cos it must have seemed like I was ignoring his calls for us to get organised - in reality I just couldn't contribute at times so skipped turns when I felt I couldn't put an effort in. He's strong - I was out of my league! I went past him later while sandbagging on the back of the Orwell trio as I'd recovered a bit by then. I felt a bit bad about that but if it's any consolation to him I blew yet again a few kilometres later.

If Tuc finished then there must have been at least 3 Tiernan's finishers. There was one Tiernans guy (riding a black Canyon) in the last group I was with and he was chasing down another Tiernans guy (riding a black DeRosa I think) not far up the road, and both of them finished ahead of me.

Well I say that I finished the course, but the course knows that it really finished me. :)

Yeah, the tattood guy is my brother, I didn't know Eamon (de rosa) and Niall (canyon) actually finished,

I think it was that first turn that halyards you guys, then unless you backed yourself on the first descent, the game was over very quickly

I was the flag Marshall at the end of the first descent, I actually brought a sweeping brush to clear all the loose chippings, but that surface was very greasy, only the true nutters don't mind descending quick in situations like that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Great racing by everyone, well done to any one taking part, and especially to the finishers. I had fun outriding for the 3 leaders. Most "fun" moment was when some heap of a zafira that had obviously blown a gasket or 3 overtook at 5kmph more on the last bit of the n81 spewing smoke everywhere. Especially fun considering the other heroes also overtaking with zero visibility.

Actually, speaking of marshaling, there were a couple of cows blocking half the road round the back of the lakes. They just stood there nonchalantly, watching us having to go completely to the other side of the road to get round them. They also looked like they were not going to be phased by a car coming in the opposite direction towards them. They'd make great marshals, I thought. They might have difficulty learning that the riders are not the ones to stop, mind you, but once up to speed they'd stand for no nonsense from impatient drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Actually, speaking of marshaling, there were a couple of cows blocking half the road round the back of the lakes. They just stood there nonchalantly, watching us having to go completely to the other side of the road to get round them. They also looked like they were not going to be phased by a car coming in the opposite direction towards them. They'd make great marshals, I thought. They might have difficulty learning that the riders are not the ones to stop, mind you, but once up to speed they'd stand for no nonsense from impatient drivers.

haha yeah I rang them into Brian to let the lead car know about them, but nothing really could be done about them I suppose, but was just afraid they'd spook with all the bikes going past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Question for you all. I was out on a fast spin a few weeks back on my own. On my way home back up the N81 I was upping the pace so I was flying. There was a race on and I passed a group of 3 who immediately opened the taps pulled in behind me.

So I'm not part of the race, the lads knew this as unless I was riding for Team Canada then I was clearly on my own (also no number). The end result is that we had a decent laugh and I gave them a tow for as long as I could which was all the way to their turn off point at which point they said cheers and went off!

What's the rules there? Surely it is a case of its an open road so you're entitled to use whatever is at your disposal no?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

iregk wrote: »
    Question for you all. I was out on a fast spin a few weeks back on my own. On my way home back up the N81 I was upping the pace so I was flying. There was a race on and I passed a group of 3 who immediately opened the taps pulled in behind me.

So I'm not part of the race, the lads knew this as unless I was riding for Team Canada then I was clearly on my own (also no number). The end result is that we had a decent laugh and I gave them a tow for as long as I could which was all the way to their turn off point at which point they said cheers and went off!

What's the rules there? Surely it is a case of its an open road so you're entitled to use whatever is at your disposal no?

If they were suffering anything like I was in Saturday's race then I would wholeheartedly support them in holding onto a wingmirror.

My race was over by the first corner where I caught gravel, skidded twice, and just about stayed upright. The bunch was already gone by the time I got the right gear and recovered. From then on it was survive, survive. More hairy moments on wet corners - saw at least two down.

Fell in with Neal, Dick and Tom after busting myself pointlessly, but even that gruppetto splintered quick enough, and Tom left me for dead on the Poulaphouca climb the second time. There on in, it was a case of wheezing over Ballyknockan and Lacken, round the houses for a lap and up Ballysmuttan with a motley bunch. Felt sorry for the ambulance guys who must have been stuck with watching my arse since Lacken. Well done to anyone who stuck with the main group - it was savagery from the first turn, and I can only hope the pace eased somewhere along the route...

oflahero wrote:
    Felt sorry for the ambulance guys who must have been stuck with watching my arse since Lacken.

Their day got even worse then as they got to stare at my pasty white and hairy legs up the first part of Ballysmutten. They were so repulsed that they overtook me on the climb. I was probably one of that motley crew that you referred to then, though personally I thought my lungs-hanging-out-over-the-handlebars look was very stylish and fetching :)

Advertisement