Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just 1 or 2

Options
  • 16-07-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I gave up drink for a month at the start of the year, the typical Jan detox. At the time I had a friend say to me sure you don't need to give it up just have 1 or 2. I've currently had enough of alcohol and I am cutting it out again. Ths time a different friend says don't give it up, just moderate to 1 or 2. Don't get me wrong I can moderate to one or two, 9 times out of 10 I will, but its the 10th time when I forget I can't drink and have the hangover from hell which makes me want to slit my wrists, that I REALLY want to avoid. I don't deal well with hangovers. Now my 2 friends know this. Even my dad said you don't need to give it up completely a glass of wine with dinner now and again won't do any harm.

I don't understand why they think giving it up is bad. Why is having 1 or 2 better than giving it up completely? Why would they care if I didn't drink at all. I think my dad doesn't want people thinking I'm an alcoholic and if you used to drink but now don't people wonder why. I have another family member who doesn't drink, but thats ok because she never drank. This is always mentioned if her non drinking comes up in conversation. My friends I'm thinking is because they don't want to be drinking a pint with me if I'm havin a coke.

Has another got this reaction to saying they are giving up drink? Any theories on why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Only you yourself knows whether you want to drink or not,Unfortunately a lot of people think its the end of the world and your life is over if you dont drink,how untrue that is.Alcohol is everywhere and advertised as if its the best thing since sliced bread,Yet it kills more people in this country than all the other illegal drugs put together.Our whole social scene is based around drinking and it will take years or even forever to change peoples perception about it,Bit like smoking in the 60,s & 70,s that was a cool habit to have now look at it.If your not enjoying your drinking then dont drink dont let other peoples insecurities about there own drinking stop you from doing what you feel is right for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Yeah. I was even called a poof when I went off the beer by a couple of buddies. I can bench press about 1.5 times my bodyweight and am now in better shape than when I was 25. The attitude is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CatHerder

Hi Shiz, I think you hit the nail on the head when you said
    ShizDink wrote: »
    I think my dad doesn't want people thinking I'm an alcoholic and if you used to drink but now don't people wonder why.
    People view drinking as a valuable social activity, and view giving it up as a very extreme measure. I've heard that there are people like yourself, who wonder what's the big deal and why the fuss if someone chooses to give up. It's nice to actually meet one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ShizDink

CatHerder wrote: »
    Hi Shiz, I think you hit the nail on the head when you said

People to view drinking as a valuable social activity, and view giving it up as a very extreme measure. I've heard that there are people like yourself, who wonder what's the big deal and why the fuss if someone chooses to give up. It's nice to actually meet one :)

:) thanks.

I think you are right Realies. I am beginning to see alcohol as a cultural conspiracy. I'm holding my ground on this one. 1 or 2 whats the point if your not that fussed !? If I have zero I can bring my car out, major bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CatHerder

ShizDink wrote: »
    If I have zero I can bring my car out, major bonus.
    You can also leave when ever you want, major bonus ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

'Just have 1 or 2' is SO annoyin! It wont make a difference to you socially, but means you cant drive

I always hear people sayin this to people who say they dont wanna drink / get drunk

Advertisement