Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Neills for the craft beers.

Options
  • 16-07-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Great selection in O'Neills on suffolk street including
    Mollys stout
    Galway hooker
    Rebel Red
    Fruli strawberry beer
    O'Hara's
    and a few others..
    Was on the rebel red and think it was about 4.40 a pint
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭redlead

Hondo75 wrote: »
    Great selection in O'Neills on suffolk street including
    Mollys stout
    Galway hooker
    Rebel Red
    Fruli strawberry beer
    O'Hara's
    and a few others..
    Was on the rebel red and think it was about 4.40 a pint

That's great, I didn't know they stocked craft beers. it is a pub which has a steady trade of yanks flowing through the doors though. I'd worry about the prices. How much for a bottle of O'Hara's?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Great to see more mainstream Dublin pubs with Irish craft beers. Bowes has O'Hara's IPA on tap, and there's now cask Helvick Gold in The Palace in addition to Galway Hooker and the Carlow, Dungarvan and Hilden bottles.

I went in there last night. I have to say, I was very impressed with what they had on offer i.e. pretty much everything. I thought it was great the way they seem to be actively promoting the Irish craft beers too. I had my first ever pint of O'Haras red on tap. Not as nice as the bottles but lovely all the same. Got some Metalman in the porterhouse too. Overall a successful nights drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

redlead wrote: »
    I thought it was great the way they seem to be actively promoting the Irish craft beers too.

They are promoting it actively. I was catching up with an old friend there in March, and I was on the Galway Hooker. Mate was drinking Guinness, the barman suggested that he try a pint of O'Hara's instead. Another convert.

That is in addition to the signs around the pub promoting the drinks, and more importantly, displaying the prices.

I thought it was great the way they seem to be actively promoting the Irish craft beers too.
    Hmmm. No matter what I order, I always get a Guinness glass. Putting out the properly-branded ones wouldn't kill them.

Edit: Actually, I should say "Can I have that in a Hooker/Trouble/O'Hara's glass please, I promise I won't nick it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

BeerNut wrote: »
    Hmmm. No matter what I order, I always get a Guinness glass. Putting out the properly-branded ones wouldn't kill them.

Edit: Actually, I should say "Can I have that in a Hooker/Trouble/O'Hara's glass please, I promise I won't nick it."

I might have to nick a hooker glass, mine is faded :D

Or I will just ask Aidan for one next time I see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I got the dark arts in a proper glass in against the grain. At first it just looked like a nice glass, it has an even taper on it, like the old cafferys ones

caffreys.jpg

But as you drink down it slowly reveals the writing, since the writing is in black so at first its invisible against the dark stout.

(and no I didn't nick it!)

EDIT: Think this was it, but thought the logo was lower.
    DSCN1630%2B%255B800x600%255D.jpg
    http://www.taleofale.com/2010/12/trouble-brewing-has-new-porter.html

rubadub wrote: »
    EDIT: Think this was it, but thought the logo was lower.
    DSCN1630%2B%255B800x600%255D.jpg
    http://www.taleofale.com/2010/12/trouble-brewing-has-new-porter.html

That's a brilliant photo, where ever did you get it? ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Saruman wrote: »
    That's a brilliant photo, where ever did you get it? ;):D
    :D didn't even cop it was your site, shows up in google images for "trouble brewing dark arts glass"

Dammit, I thought I had a near monpoly on Google images for Irish beer photos.

I'm still the first hit in that search, though. Plbplbplbplb.

• Advertisement

Thats true, I got my O'Hara's stout in a Guinness glass. I was referring to the posters up everywhere of all the craft beers as well as the big craft menu up by the bar. It's more than most bars do. I like the way the Bull and Castle stick Irish craft beer signs over the taps. It would be nice if other pubs did the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

That's great, I didn't know they stocked craft beers. it is a pub which has a steady trade of yanks flowing through the doors though. I'd worry about the prices. How much for a bottle of O'Hara's?

The prices are all over the place: 5.15 for a hooker :eek:

kenmc wrote: »
    The prices are all over the place: 5.15 for a hooker :eek:
    About the same as the Bull & Castle, isn't it, pro rata?

B&C charge what? €4.40?
    The extra 68ml in a pint as opposed to half litre is .75c or there abouts so it is about the same I reckon.

maybe so, but from memory, ór is sub a fiver, as is oharas and most other craft beers .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

We were in O'Neill's yesterday for a few drinks.

Excellent selection of craft beers, no doubt. The eastern European barmaid was very enthusiastic once she knew we were interested in them, and said there were more to come.

A round of four pints was 20.60, so 5.15 a pint it was ... That included some generic big brand beers - so it's not just the craft beers.

Expensive, yes, but I put it down to D2 / city centre pricing rather than the gouging being related to the craft beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

We were in O'Neill's yesterday for a few drinks.

Excellent selection of craft beers, no doubt. The eastern European barmaid was very enthusiastic once she knew we were interested in them, and said there were more to come.

A round of four pints was 20.60, so 5.15 a pint it was ... That included some generic big brand beers - so it's not just the craft beers.

Expensive, yes, but I put it down to D2 / city centre pricing rather than the gouging being related to the craft beers?
    I was enjoying Galway Hooker just up the road (in the Palace Bar) last night, for the princely sum of €4.50. Not sure if the Hooker glass is 500ml or a full pint, but I got served a few pints in standard pint glasses also. It's €5.50 in Peter's Pub.

maybe so, but from memory, ór is sub a fiver, as is oharas and most other craft beers .
    And they're under a fiver in O'Neill's too, IIRC.

And they're under a fiver in O'Neill's too, IIRC.
    Thats where I was talking about; since I'm on the laptop now and not the phone I can write more :)

Galway Hooker is 5:15 a pint in ONeills, whereas most of the other good beers are under a fiver; therefore in my opinion it is expensive there. From memory, The Bank, around the corner from ONeills is cheaper for hooker, although I don't know the exact price. Likewise Against the Grain I believe is under a fiver for GH too, circa 4.50ish. If they can do it less than a fiver, so can ONeills.

therefore in my opinion it is expensive there.
    Ah. Fair enough. It's just that your example was the Bull & Castle, which in general charges similar prices to O'Neill's.
    If they can do it less than a fiver, so can ONeills.
    You don't actually know this, though. You're backseat-managing the pub. From the customer's point of view all that matters is that it's cheaper to buy Hooker elsewhere. This customer doesn't mind paying more than The Bank charges because its wife can have a pint of O'Hara's Stout at the same time. Though this customer is more likely to be in Against The Grain too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

Likewise Against the Grain I believe is under a fiver for GH too, circa 4.50ish. If they can do it less than a fiver, so can ONeills.

4.90 in Against The Grain. someone mentioned Peter's Pub being 5.50...I was charged 5.30 there last Wednesday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 log22

hopefully some craft beers will branch out to other parts other than the big cities

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

log22 wrote: »
    hopefully some craft beers will branch out to other parts other than the big cities

Well that probably dependent on the public putting pressure on publicans to stock them

log22 wrote: »

They have to a certain degree. Dungarvan of course has the local brewery so the area has a few pubs that serve the beer. All bottles as Dungarvan only bottle and do cask and I can't see cask working somewhere the size of Dungarvan.

Roscommon town also has at least one pub serving Galway Hooker and some other beers.

Athlone has a couple of restaurants serving at least O'Hara's

Check the Beoir Directory for as comprehensive a list as you will get. You can do a search and pick by county.

White Gypsy seems to be getting into more of the pubs around Lough Derg. Several of the breweries rarely bring beer near the big cities: you're not likely to see Beoir Chorca Duibhne, Burren Brewery or Dingle Brewing Company outside their respective backyards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

I was in here yesterday after work. An English stag party of 25 lads came in. After I overheard the barman telling the leader of the group he didn't want any hassle from them he had them trying out the craft beer menu. Fair play to him I thought

Advertisement