Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to despose of old hard drive

Options
  • 16-07-2011 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

I recently gave away a old laptop, before doing so. I removed the hard drive. Where can I securly dispose of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Take a hammer to it if you're worried about whatevers on it :pac: otherwise just chuck it in your shed or a bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

If you're really worried about no-one being able to access the data on it there are places you could go to get it securely shredded/destroyed (dunno where you'd find them in Ireland, and they'd generally deal more with bulk/business customers AFAIK).

Saving that there's some software you could get that overwrites it a set number of times with random and/or preset data (a *nix script that uses dd would pretty much serve this purpose if you happen to have a Linux installation around or anything).
    Just a single over-write should be enough, no-one's ever demonstrated that they're able to recover data after an over-write, but it's apparently theoretically possible if you're worried about the FBA/NSA moreso than opportunistic criminals :P.

Other than that you could always just throw it in the Liffey >.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Microwave it.
    But this is only useful if you also have a microwave, house and possibly neighbourhood that you have to get rid of also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The cheapest option if I was you OP, would be to dismantle it, and then take a drill to the platters. It would be a fun Saturday afternoon project. Once the platters are in a couple of pieces, dont throw them out altogether, but piece by piece.

You could pay someone to degauss it but its generally only done by companies and so it costs $$$. Maybe someone on here will volunteer to degauss it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

syklops wrote: »
    The cheapest option if I was you OP, would be to dismantle it, and then take a drill to the platters. It would be a fun Saturday afternoon project. Once the platters are in a couple of pieces, dont throw them out altogether, but piece by piece.

You could pay someone to degauss it but its generally only done by companies and so it costs $$$. Maybe someone on here will volunteer to degauss it for you.

I agree with pulling it apart, i used to have great fun as a kid pulling apart my dads ****ty old hard drives :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Can they be recycled?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

I'd use the vendor supplied secure erase facility. You'll need a Linux boot disk to run hdparm.

https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

Advertisement