Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned Horse ??

Options
  • 16-07-2011 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭

I have just passed what looks like an abandoned horse about 600 meters south of the Coynes Cross Exit on the N11 (Wicklow). The reason insuspect it has been abandoned is that on Thursday while driving to work I passed the same horse who was standing up perpendicular to a fence which is running parallel with the road. He had his head up against a timber post. I thought it strange but it wasn't enough to suggest a possible abandoned horse.

Today I was driving up to Dublin and noticed the horse was in the exact same position. I was shocked and sickened to the stomach that maybe this poor unfortunate horse has been abandoned. I've just tried to ring the ISPCA in Wicklow but their offices are closed.

Can anyone advice on who might be able assist this poor horse?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I'm not saying that the horse isn't abandoned, but sometimes when the flies are bad and there's no other shelter, such as trees or a stable, horses will stand with their head against a post or pole to try and help keep the flies away from its face.

However, if you think the horse has been abandoned, then it's better to contact the WSPCA or the IHWT and ask them to check on it. That way they'll be able to do something pretty quickly if it has. Not sure where Coyne's Cross is, but is it too far out for the Dublin SPCA to call out to, esp if you can't contact the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

I think I have seen this horse before, it was tied up opposite the traveller site further up the road. I don't think he is abandoned, just tied up for grazing.

If you are concerned please ring the IHWT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I did alittle more investigating and your right it appears to be a Travellers horse. I drove down around to see it again and it had moved. I rang the IHWT and ISPCA and left some messages.

I was just shocked to see him in the same position three days later.

I have seen that horse in a couple of positions around that road, I would love to know what the IHWT say, I would think if it is in a reasonable condition bodywise and is being fed and watered there isn't much they can do apart from having a word with the owners.

I know horses should not be kept on the side of the road but I think the County Councils will have to do more work on the Control of Horses Act.

• Advertisement

I did a drive by today on my way home from work, no sign of the horse, hope its ok.

Advertisement