Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying bird call.

Options
  • 16-07-2011 7:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I heard what I assume was a bird call I have never heard before, and was hoping someone could help me identify it.
    I have spent ages trying to think of a way of describing it and this is the best I can come up with, it was a dhaw dhaw sound (like "th" in this), with a slight twang to it, almost like the sound of a thick, muted rubber band being plucked, repeated about 4/5 times in a row. Dhaw dhaw dhaw dhaw........
    Any guesses? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Can you give more info?

Time of day?
    Part of the country?
    Habitat?
    Where was the sound coming from? a field? tree? ground? lake? roof of house?
    Are there any birds it could remind you of? Bird of Prey? Game bird? Crow? Water bird?
    From the pitch/volume etc. did you get a sense for how large the bird is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ibetterheadon

At a guess it might be a snipe, I think, they fly up high and as they drop they vibrate their wing to make a noise. I’ve only heard them in the north of the country. But i could be very wrong I’m sure there are more knowledgeable people who can help more but more info would be needed.
    try this site
    http://pjdeye.blogspot.com/2009/05/shorebird-calls-iii-woodcock-and-snipe.html

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

it was a dhaw dhaw sound (like "th" in this), with a slight twang to it, almost like the sound of a thick, muted rubber band being plucked, repeated about 4/5 times in a row. Dhaw dhaw dhaw dhaw.........

Does your description mean it was calling thaw thaw?

What about a chough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Early evening/late afternoon in a cow field next to a tidal mud/sand flat (tide in) on the coast of South West Cork.
    It must have been large, it was quite deep, a single "dhaw" over 1 to 2 seconds repeated about 3 or 4 seconds apart. There was about 10 single calls in a row then it stopped for a minute and gave 3 or 4 more and I haven't heard anything since.
    It wasn't a snipe or a chough, I've checked both sounds.
    I hear a huge variety of birds around here, and though I don't know lots of them they are all familiar sounds to me, this I have never heard before, anywhere.
    It is an isolated spot with no houses, machinery or people, just empty fields and the sea.

I dunno...might be a coastal bird which I'm not so familiar with :(

Just thinking out loud... maybe an unusal seabird, or even a vagrant. Some other folks have seen skuas flying over headlands. Lots of shearwaters off Cape Clear these days. Other recent Cork rarieties here: http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web

• Advertisement

A very very very remote possibility is of course starling...mimicking an elastic band it may have heard :)

Heard one on Cape Clear bird observatory roof mimicking a curlew, sedge warbler, gull and other bits and pieces. At first I thought it was the warden playing a CD to wind us up. Apparently there was another one in a petrol station that overheard the sound of the phone ringing. It drove the staff mad running in to answer phones that weren't ringing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

Could it be a woodcock?

Thanks for the replies.
    I dunno...might be a coastal bird which I'm not so familiar with :(
    A very very very remote possibility is of course starling...mimicking an elastic band it may have heard :)
    We get a lot of people coming around here to watch the shore birds, some rare ones around alright.
    Someone's lost their pet Lyrebird. :)

1squidge wrote: »
    Could it be a woodcock?
    Didn't sound like any of the woodcock recordings I've listened to.

My dogs have been going crazy because I'm playing all sorts of bird calls on the laptop, nothing remotely like or even slightly similar to what I heard though. Hmmmm.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tipseymcT

Could it be a long eared owl? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd4RKwtFfc8 we have them in the trees behind our house,didnt know what was making the noise for years!

LEO chicks sound like squeaky gates

• Advertisement

"the best I can come up with, it was a dhaw dhaw sound (like "th" in this), with a slight twang to" thaw thaw thaw

Could it be a corvid? Hooded crows and Carrion crows do a deep throaty caw

or a Raven

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I've heard new sounds too. 4 to 5 short sharp but quiet enough calls. Repeated a few times.

Turned out to be a mother Pheasant calling to her chicks.

Again thanks for the input, but it doesn't sound like anything mentioned.
    It's not as "harsh" as any corvid sound, it has more of a twang to it and is much "cleaner".
    Nobody around here has any idea either.

Advertisement