Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deathly Hallows Part 2 Reviews: Here be spoilers!

Options
  • 16-07-2011 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Well?? :D
    What were your reactions? Personally, I was a small bit disappointed in it, I think I'd just built it up so much that it couldn't have reached my expectations.

In saying that though, I still loved it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Very disappointed. I will re-watch it soon and see if my opinion changes but when I left the cinema, my first thought was 'that could have been so much better with some relatively small changes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I went in with sort of low expectations and I thought it was just brilliant, my favourite of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Saw at midnight in 3D , and I was a bit disappointed thought that the 19 years could of been a it longer, with a bit more dialogue from the book . Saw it again last night in 2D, and think that in the end it was the right way to end . Also remember that both these moves were shot as one, sure the seen forbidden forest were shot nearly 3 years ago and if I take that into account then Deathly Hallows is my favourite .

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

******SPOILERS BELOW!!!!!!*******

Went to see this last night in 3D. I didn't want to see it in 3D but the tickets were a present, and I wasn't mad about it, didn't do anything for me.

However I loved the movie. It was SO emotional. I started crying from the moment Professor McGonagal started duelling with Snape and barely stopped until the end :o

The main thing I didn't like was the final moment between Harry and Voldemort. I understand how they wanted to make it a bit more dramatic for the film, and I didn't mind that they made it into a battle all over the castle, more than just the final duel, but I thought the killing of Voldemort was a bit of an anti-climax. The whole cinema had been cheering at different parts (Mrs Weasley killing Bellatrix "Not my daughter, you bitch!" :D, Harry jumping out of Hagrid's arms, etc.") but when Voldermort died, he just disintegrated and then it was onto the next scene, no big cheers or anything, like in the book everyone was surrounding them. (Actually it was quite funny iwhen Voldermort died and the screen went blank for a few moments...there was complete silence in the cinema and someone shouted out "is everyone okay???" :D)

Another thing that confused me, is why did they change the bit with Snape's dying moments from him pulling a memory out of his head, to his memories being in a tear? :confused:

I love how they didn't attempt to "dumb it town" for non-readers of the books. I'd say for someone who hadn't read the books and who had only seen the rest of the films once, some of the plot might have been a bit confusing but obviously that didn't bother me and it helped keep the plot as tight to the book as possible.

I said this after the last movie too, but I love seeing how some of the characters' acting has improved so much over the years, in particular Emma Watson (I found her practically unwatchable up until Deathly Hallows Part 1) and Tom Felton. There were so many big characters in this movie that only had very fleeting parts but it's amazing to see so many huge names in one movie.

I hated hated HATED the last scene (19 years later) but I knew I was going to hate it because I hate that chapter in the book. I'm glad they had very little dialogue in it, because it would have been SO cheesy!

There's probably lots more I'd like to say on it but I can't think of anything else right now! Overall it's my second favourite movie of them all (after Deathly Hallows Part 1) and I think it was an awesome ending to the series.

*sob*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I'm actually a little gutted by my reaction. I was delighted up until the last half hour and then I was like "WTF??"

I think the ending of the book was so much better. Feel like someone just destroyed my favourite toy right now.
    I hated hated HATED the last scene (19 years later) but I knew I was going to hate it because I hate that chapter in the book. I'm glad they had very little dialogue in it, because it would have been SO cheesy!

God I hate that epilogue so much. I really think she should have just wrote "And they all lived happily ever after" and left all that out. Every time I see it at the end of the book I strain my eyes from rolling them so hard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Trepzi

There were a combination of things that I liked and things that I didn't.
    I liked Helena Bonham Carter as Hermione being Bellatrix. She portrayed it excellently. I loved Filch trying to clean up after the battle.

I didn't like the Voldemort-Malfoy hug. What was that? Or the fact that Percy just reappeared instead of there being a reunion. I also didn't like that Fred's death wasn't included or that they suddenly mentioned Lupin's son out of nowhere in a blink and you'll miss it moment. What was the point?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

HERE BE SPOILERS
    Trepzi wrote: »
    Or the fact that Percy just reappeared instead of there being a reunion.

Well the problem with that is that they never really explained anything about Percy ditching the family in the first place, they left that whole subplot out! Although in the Order of the Phoenix, when the Ministry come to take Dumbledore, Percy is there... But they never explain why!

I went to see the film with my flatmate and her friends, and ended up sitting next to a Greek girl who hadn't read the books. She was so damn annoying, she kept asking me questions. Snape had just been attacked by Nagini, Harry was collecting the memories in a jar, Snape was clutching him and saying "You have your mother's eyes...", my eyes were starting to fill with tears... And the girl grabbed my arm and said "WHAT'S GOING ON? WHY IS HE DOING THAT?" :mad::mad::mad:

It felt very rushed up until the scene in Gringotts. Like they just decided on a whim to break into Bellatrix's vault, and off they went that same day.

The Snape/Lily thing was done better than I expected, though I can see how it would be a bit confusing if someone hadn't read the books (Not that it's any excuse to ask me what's going on, however, we were in a damn cinema ffs) They didn't bring up him calling her a mudblood, though they'd left that out of the flashback in Order of the Phoenix too... One could easily wonder why Lily would get with an asshat like James.

Young adult Snape looked a bit, um, botoxed though... What had they done to him? Tried to CGI out his wrinkles?

I was a bit disappointed with the final battle too. I can see that they're trying to make it more cinema-y, but Voldemort chasing Harry around Hogwarts was just a bit tiresome, I was getting bored. Also how was he able to use any spells on Harry at all with the elder wand, if Harry was the wand's true master? I thought that was the whole point? :confused:

The epilogue was better than I expected, couldn't suppress a snigger at Ginny's mammy hair though :D

Can we put a 'WARNING: SPOILERS' in the thread title?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭corryworry

MORE SPOILERS BELOW

Overall I was impressed with the movie. I was on the edge of my seat for the most part :)
    I went with a friend that hasn't read the books and she had tons of questions at the end, she even thought that the lily/snape scenes were implying that Snape was Harry's dad :eek: I can see how it would be a confusing scene though.
    I hated how little we seen of Fred, his death had a major impact when reading the book and it just didn't get enough screen time, I think Lupin and Tonks got a raw deal too.
    Also, wasn't convinced by the relationship between Harry and Ginny, neither seemed to be overly excited about the reconciliation and we didn't even see them reunited after the final battle.
    Everyone inthe cinema had a good giggle at the final scene, Ginny's hair was hilarious.
    Alan Rickman absolutly stole the show, even though he didn't have a huge amount of screen time, I was blown away by him. The scene where he had called all the students into the great hall was powerful!
    Also loved - everything Maggie Smith did, The Gringotts scenes, the Pensieve scenes, Ron and Hermionie in the chamber of secrets :D, Neville on the bridge and Neville's speech.
    Also Didn't like - Weird tiny bloody voldemort in Harry's limbo, that we didn't see Hagrid until he's suddenly tied up in the forest, that even though they managed to squeeze in a mention of Lupin/Tonk's son - he wasn't at kings cross at the end.
    Going to see it again in 3D....can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

that's a good idea about putting spoilers in the title but I'm not actually sure how to edit the thread title :o Maybe a mod could help? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Fishie wrote: »
    Also how was he able to use any spells on Harry at all with the elder wand, if Harry was the wand's true master? I thought that was the whole point? :confused:

It's not that it doesn't work, it just doesn't work as well as it does for the true master.

I loved it. Off to see it again tonight (2D this time)
    I also didn't like the non-showing of Fred's death or how Hagrid just appears in the Forest. My mum who hasn't read the books thought he'd died in Part 1 and just couldn't remember. Just little things here and there that ground my gears but I loved it overall. I watch the movies as movies and not as adaptions of the books which I think makes them more enjoyable.

One thing I really didn't like was the Ron and Hermione kiss. I love how horribly awkward that scene is in the book! But Harry wasn't even there in the movie! It just didn't have the same "hurray!!" impact that it does in the book, IMO anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Trepzi

Fishie wrote: »
    Voldemort chasing Harry around Hogwarts was just a bit tiresome, I was getting bored. Also how was he able to use any spells on Harry at all with the elder wand, if Harry was the wand's true master? I thought that was the whole point? :confused:

It was the whole point. In the book he wasn't able to because when he tried to use Crucio on Harry in the Forest it didn't hurt Harry at all. I can't actually remember if he got Harry with any spells in the film, did he not hit the walls and floors near Harry?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Loved the movie from start to finish....but, 3D did nothing for me, sorry I didnt go see it in 2D - is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

i agree with the above post about 3D, it was a waste of time seeing it in 3D. there wasn't really anything that gave it a good 3D effect and it made the movie even darker so some scenes were harder to see. avoid the 3D version!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

/mod mode
    I've edited the title of the thread. I think it nearly impossible to review the film without spoilers, and I thought it better to warn people at the outset.
    /end mod mode

I have a very long review which I'm looking forward to posting when I get a chance. Overall, I really enjoyed it. I thought it excellent: much better than many of the other films.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

When they shot epilogue in King Cross it was longer . I hope the put it on DVD . The one we saw was the re shoot at Levesden

http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/rupert-grint-admits-original-deathly-hallows-2-epilogue-was-longer-more-dialogue-82747/

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭simonmln

I think the 3d was added after the film was made and thats why the 3d doesnt look to good. I reckon its meant to be seen in 2d. I saw it in 2d myself and thought it was great. They squeezed a lot into the 1st half an hour, but after that it was awesome.

I saw it again last night but in 2D and enjoyed it a lot more. The 3D doesn't add anything and seems a bit pointless. Much easier to enjoy in 2D I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

I was disappointed by the film. I felt like between the two movies they had enough time to cover books properly but they didn't.

There were so many one-liners followed by pauses, which were obviously looking for laughs, though they weren't funny!

They completely over-did the Neville thing too, it just turned into a comedy scene every time he came on. They made a mess of his character imo.

I felt like they could've made the Harry and Ginny relationship look more believable too, even in the books it felt like they were just shoved together. Also Fred's death could've been better (I didn't even realise what was going on at first) and I don't remember seeing George's ear get blown off?

Also, in the book Harry repaired his wand with the elder wand, which I felt they could've easily included.

and I don't remember seeing George's ear get blown off?
    That's Part 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

I liked it, though was underwhelmed.

I wrote a stupidly long blog post on such. I know everyone hates blog links, but it genuinely is too long to summarise (and probably too long for anyone to bother read). :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

After seeing it again in 3d this time I have to say it's far better in 2d. 3d's just distracting and it makes it very dark.

One thing that particularly annoyed me was the scene where Harry stood out of the crowd and everyone realised that he was back in hogwarts. I much preferred the way it was in the book, in Ravenclaw common room, it was one of my favourite scenes.

The final confrontation with Voldemort would have been better if they had it in the Great Hall with everyone watching. I hated, hated HATED the way Harry grabs him and they jump off the ledge. I understand they were trying to add drama but they stretched it out too much imo.

All in all I think DH part 1 was much better..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Picture a bit blurry, I hate going to the movie theatre, maybe once a year at most. I took a trip to an old time drive in theatre last night.

I too felt a little underwhelmed. Loved Molly vs Bellatrix. :)

hpim2756jev.jpg

hpim2758.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Overall I really enjoyed it. I don't understand though why they added things for extra drama- like changing the location of Voldemort's and Snape's little showdown to a more dramatic one. The Snape/Harry scene in the Great Hall though I thought was brilliantly done, the actual event would probably be too long to portray. Loved Gringotts scene, Snape's memories scene, Chamber of Secrets and the whole battle up until it's resumed...not thrilled with the 'final showdown', no need for extra drama there.

Things that annoyed me were the fact that the Horcruxes had this great habit of REVEALING themselves to Harry, as if they want to be destroyed forever- when the books clearly show how sentient and evil they can be when faced with their own destruction. Also- why were the students not evacuated? They're all just running all over the school panicking. Clearly that would have resulted in mass deaths if they were there for the actual battle, really should have at least had one line about evacuation. Neville's speech, cringe. No need for it. Should have followed the book word for word there, would have made a powerful scene. Also at the very end when Harry strolls through the hall after ending evil forever and NOBODY cares or barely looks at him- bizarre. No explanations forthcoming from Dumbledore or Aberforth either- I know they rely more on visuals to tell the story but Dumbledore's at least is fairly important.

I'll see it again, far and away the best film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i enjoyed, i've been largely able to separate book and movie since 2nd movie came out after realizing there were going to be obvious changes. i thought part 1 and 2 were the best of the whole lot. loved the acting, loved action and loved the battle scene.

though i had a few problems with it.

small problems. ie bellatrix and voldemort blow up into millions of pieces..... really?? if thats the case so why didnt dumbledore blow up into a million pieces as well. :confused: that wand fight all over the castle as good as it was, i really wanted to see harry and voldamort do their circle thing around each other while harry does his speech, that was the best part to be honest.

also, no conversation with dumbledore in the portrait? :( and just break the wand in two, the most powerful wand of them all, just break in two and throw it away, was expecting him to take out his old wand and repair there and then. bah.

there was something about neville's scenes that were slightly off putting.

the parts of the film that i loved
    i loved the 19 years later part, some people around me and myself included laughed at draco's beard. don't know why, i found it funny.

Ron and Hermione's kiss. i cheered, a lot of people cheered, the room of requirement scene was fantastic.

alan rickman did a fantastic job once again, he's played brilliantly through out the entire 8 film. love him any way, just done such a good job.

i was hoping and waiting for the Mrs Weasley vs Bellatrix fight, wasn't expecting it to be there, but when it turned up i cheered!!!!

and oh what on earth was that between voldamort and draco??? wtf since when does voldamort give HUGS??? seriously:eek:

i have niggling things that bothered me, but there niggling.

give film an 8 out of ten

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I saw the film this evening, and wasn't expecting much after reading a few reviews here and in the film forum.

But I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting the Hogwart's battle to be blown way out of proportion, but in the end I think the changes they made from the book were definitely for the better. McGonagall was brilliant, but I thought the 'I always wanted to use that spell' bit jarred with the rest of the scene. Snape as always was brilliant, and I loved the subtle changes they made to his character to make him look younger/older as needed in the flashback.

I really don't see how anyone who didn't read the books could have any notion at all what was going on though. There was a row of kids behind me saying 'is he dead?', 'Why's he doing that?', 'who's he?', 'is it a trap?' the whole way through the film!

One small thing I didn't like about this film and the others was that they gave all the Death eaters the ability to fly/turn into smoke (whatever that is). It's a really shocking revelation in the book when we can learn that Voldemort and Snape can fly. That's lost in the films.

I was never a big fan of the films so I was surprised to be a bit sad when I realised that was the end of them. Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Loved it!

The very end was a bit cheesy but had to be done.

The hug scene was very awkward. This is hilarious tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

Am I the only one who was really annoyed with Ron and Hermione's kiss? I thought it was so disappointing - mainly because I wasn't expecting it at that point and was like, what? Kissing? Now? Darn, I nearly missed that! It was just.. weird. It didn't fit in there at all - they just jumped on each other. It was so much better in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

well they did kiss in a weird part in the book as well, the castle was being attacked, ron just mentioned about protecting the elves and then they kissed. i think the kiss was done at the right time, they just destroyed a horcruxes, good time to kiss. although the laugh was a bit weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

xxshebeexx wrote: »
    Am I the only one who was really annoyed with Ron and Hermione's kiss? I thought it was so disappointing - mainly because I wasn't expecting it at that point and was like, what? Kissing? Now? Darn, I nearly missed that! It was just.. weird. It didn't fit in there at all - they just jumped on each other. It was so much better in the book.

Totally agree! The book kiss was great. The movie kiss was so random.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I liked it in general but one part really annoyed me. At the end when Harry kills Voldemort he breaks in to little pieces and disappears. That goes against the whole idea of Horcruxes. Harry had killed them all so Voldemort was mortal when he killed him and therefore there was a body there so you could see he was really dead. In the book it talks about his body as having been laid outside the Great Hall so it wouldn't be with everyone else.

From the films alone how are we to know he is really dead? It could be like before when Harry was 1 - everyone thought he was dead but Dumbledore knew he'd return. From the film, if you think about it he could come back again. I preferred the books where there was a body - it made more sense with the horcruxes and all.

Advertisement