Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously depressed because have no future

Options
  • 16-07-2011 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi,

Theres probably a few people like me right now but I'm pretty upset and down. I finished college 2 years ago had a few part time jobs irrelevant to my degree (B.Comm) but cannot get a proper job. I get the dole buts its crap no way I can afford to save up and move abroad. Bank won't give me a loan because no one will guarantee it for me. So i'm stuck on the dole for life basically because things are getting worse and when jobs come in like 5 years everyone will think i'm lazy that I didn't work. Basically I'm screwed. any ideas to help me outta this black hole or are there loads like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

Shane St. wrote: »
    have u considered working for the government. i hear ther hiring

what do you mean? my degree is crap even though i tried my best they def wont take me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Have you considered setting yourself up in business? There are good schemes available from the social that can help you do this. If not, how about taking a course?

I know it seems desperate at the moment. I've been there and it's horrible. The best I can advise is find something you enjoy doing. The more time you give yourself to focus on job prospects, the crazier you'll go. In the meantime, bring your CV to MABS who do a free service making sure it's selling you properly.

I know it seems really easy to say but try to find things that make you happy. The more you focus on the bad, the less your energy is focussed on improving things. The bad things have this weird effect of zapping all your energy for the good.

Hope this helps, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

Millicent wrote: »
    Have you considered setting yourself up in business? There are good schemes available from the social that can help you do this. If not, how about taking a course?

I know it seems desperate at the moment. I've been there and it's horrible. The best I can advise is find something you enjoy doing. The more time you give yourself to focus on job prospects, the crazier you'll go. In the meantime, bring your CV to MABS who do a free service making sure it's selling you properly.

I know it seems really easy to say but try to find things that make you happy. The more you focus on the bad, the less your energy is focussed on improving things. The bad things have this weird effect of zapping all your energy for the good.

Hope this helps, OP.
    appreciated.

But doing what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

T2daK wrote: »
    appreciated.

But doing what?

No problems. :)

And what do you like to do? I love to write so when I was unemployed, I joined a writers' group and picked back up the thing I loved to do that college and work left me no time for. Through doing that, I realised that there was nothing more I loved in the world than writing and editing so that's what I do now. I went to the social welfare office and they were really helpful. I started up a business doing what I love.

Not saying that'll be the route for you but try some things and see what makes you happy. You might find that it's something you want to do more of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

T2daK wrote: »
    But doing what?
    Doing anything. What courses have you registered for? Can you do a postgrad?

Have you signed up to any volunteer work? All this will help pad out your cv but the courses/ jobs etc wont come looking for you. You need to go find them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement