Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prices of hollister in dublin

Options
  • 15-07-2011 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Anyone been in the hollister shop in dublin? What are the prices like? Does the shop have much clothes?? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ciara95

My friend went and she said in some of the items they hadn't small sizes left.

Also, does anyone know if the shop in Belfast would be cheaper than Dublin shop? Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

ciara95 wrote: »
    My friend went and she said in some of the items they hadn't small sizes left.

Also, does anyone know if the shop in Belfast would be cheaper than Dublin shop? Thanks:)

Had a quick look in the shop today. Purely out of curiosity as at the grand old age of 28 I'm too old for A&F let alone Hollister.

Euro prices (and therefore Irish prices) seemed broadly in line with sterling so doubt a trip up to Belfast would really be worth your while for shopping in Hollister alone. For example, €24 t-shirts retailing at £20.

Incidentally, as mentioned above, all euro prices seem to be the same. For example, there isn't an Irish euro price or a Spanish one. All the eurozone seems to pay the same price - though am open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ciara95

Thanks compsys. I will be in Belfast anyway next month, so I will probably wait till I'm up to buy, there's probably a small saving to be had:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

ciara95 wrote: »
    Thanks compsys. I will be in Belfast anyway next month, so I will probably wait till I'm up to buy, there's probably a small saving to be had:)

If your buying in bulk why dont you try the stuff on in the store and then just order online. It will probably work out cheaper even with the taxes and shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 amy.d

does anyone know how much the sweatpants/tracksuit bottoms are?? tnx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

can you's just not go into dundrum and queue up like the other idiots i saw there today queuing to go into the shop. seriously was quite possibly the worst thing i've seen in dundrum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

can you's just not go into dundrum and queue up like the other idiots i saw there today queuing to go into the shop. seriously was quite possibly the worst thing i've seen in dundrum.

Less of the attitude please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Was in there on Saturday, hope this helps :)

The store has a pretty good amount of clothes, considering it's size. And stocks American magazines like Alternative Press and Nylon, along with CDs (glad to see Punk Goes... in physical copy in Ireland)

Jeans are decent value compared to other stores, 48 euro for a pair of super skinny (River Island is 40-60 euro). Quality is amazing, I got a pair of jeans 2 years ago in the Hollister outlet in Jersey Gardens and wanted another pair, these have been improved dramatically quality wise. No stiff movement or muffin top :)

Hoodies are, as expected, a bit on the steep side. But then again, you are buying a branded hoody (I think my sister balked at the 50 euro or so price tag but I wasn't surprised, a little tempted though :D)

Cardigans are the only thing I felt a little miffed by. They are amazing looking and I'm certain good quality, but at 50 euro... I think I'll wait for a sale or Christmas

Sizing is US/Hollister sizing, and to be honest, if you're over a size 16/18 UK, you may not find much to fit. I'm about a 12-14 UK top and a 10-12 UK on bottom. I fit size 11 US jeans perfectly (NB: size 11 jeans were the largest size they carried), may be able to squeeze into a size 9 US. I didn't have time on my last visit to try on tops but I do have t-shirts from my trip to Jersey Gardens which are Medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Sounds like a fairly straight 'take the dollar price, stick a euro symbol before it' approach then. Their hoodies are the only ones that work for me and so €50 doesn't seem too bad... SuperDry are about €65, aren't they? €48 for jeans is ok too. Might have a look.

lainey316 wrote: »
    Sounds like a fairly straight 'take the dollar price, stick a euro symbol before it' approach then. Their hoodies are the only ones that work for me and so €50 doesn't seem too bad... SuperDry are about €65, aren't they? €48 for jeans is ok too. Might have a look.

Why is that wrong? It makes sense that the clothing would be cheaper in the company's own national market.

You're also forgetting that that dollar price you see DOESN'T include the 10% (approx.) US sales tax that would be added on at the till if you were to buy the item in the States. Also, VAT here is 21% and already included in the ticket price. That's a good reason right there for your difference in price. And no, i don't work for Hollister lol.

Incidentally, when I was in Vegas and San Fran a few years ago I found Zara, H&M and Lacoste (i.e. European stores) all that bit more expensive than Ireland, and that was BEFORE the sales tax was even added on.

I buy stuff from Topman online sometimes and the price tag always has the dollar and euro price on it (Topshop/Topman entered the US market around 3 years ago). Again, the US price is usually that bit more expensive even BEFORE the US sales tax has been added on.

I know this is a fashion forum, so my comments may be slightly off topic, but the constant harping on about rip-off Republic gets a bit jading sometimes.

• Advertisement

compsys wrote: »
    Why is that wrong? It makes sense that the clothing would be cheaper in the company's own national market.

You're also forgetting that that dollar price you see DOESN'T include the 10% (approx.) US sales tax that would be added on at the till if you were to buy the item in the States. Also, VAT here is 21% and already included in the ticket price. That's a good reason right there for your difference in price. And no, i don't work for Hollister lol.

Incidentally, when I was in Vegas and San Fran a few years ago I found Zara, H&M and Lacoste (i.e. European stores) all that bit more expensive than Ireland, and that was BEFORE the sales tax was even added on.

I buy stuff from Topman online sometimes and the price tag always has the dollar and euro price on it (Topshop/Topman entered the US market around 3 years ago). Again, the US price is usually that bit more expensive even BEFORE the US sales tax has been added on.

I know this is a fashion forum, so my comments may be slightly off topic, but the constant harping on about rip-off Republic gets a bit jading sometimes.

Wait - where did I say it was wrong? I didn't - I'm happy with it. It's generally the best case scenario. I said the prices seemed ok for the hoodie and the jeans like. Not an ounce of 'harping on'. jeez...

compsys, I think you got the wrong end of the stick. We're happy that the prices are close. There's nothing worse than going into somewhere like Topshop and seeing €70/£46 on a price-tag (actual example).

Hollister should be praised for keeping prices similar instead of hiking them up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

The thing is, with the UK we would expect to see similar prices but a bit higher as the exchange rate is lower than 1.00. The dollar rate goes the opposite way so you would hope to see the actual number prices lower and certainly not higher in absolute number terms. By Hollister keeping the prices similar in number terms, they are 'hiking them up'.

Pythia wrote: »
    The thing is, with the UK we would expect to see similar prices but a bit higher as the exchange rate is lower than 1.00. The dollar rate goes the opposite way so you would hope to see the actual number prices lower and certainly not higher in absolute number terms. By Hollister keeping the prices similar in number terms, they are 'hiking them up'.

When I posted last, I had already been on the Hollister US site, calculated exchange rates and factored in shipping + taxes with my jeans. In comparison to what I paid in Dundrum, there was only a €2 difference. Therefore they are not hiking up prices. I don't make statements without research :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Shipping? Taxes? Like excise duty to import into ROI? They aren't costs to Hollister in selling jeans in ROI. Shipping shouldn't be taken into the equation. It should be the ex-vat prices only, i.e. the Hollister website prices vs 79.5% of the Irish prices divided by the FX rate.

Another problem with Ireland that retailer cite is larger costs. For example, the minimum wage is higher here, as are costs for things like electricity.

I don't mind anyway, I make annual trips to America so I buy everything there! :)

I just look at a price, compare it to the home market price plus a reasonable adder for higher costs of doing business here, VAT, import costs etc - on that basis these Hollister prices seem relatively ok, it wouldn't burn me to pay it. Unlike Topshop/Office/Monsoon....

(ETA It helps that the Hollister stuff I feel is worth the sterling price, so am assuming on this thread's info I'll feel it's worth the euro price (even tho I got a bunch of ts for 10 bucks each in the Holllister sale in the US in May). Topshop isn't worth half the sterling price at lot of the time lately.)

Shipping? Taxes? Like excise duty to import into ROI? They aren't costs to Hollister in selling jeans in ROI. Shipping shouldn't be taken into the equation. It should be the ex-vat prices only, i.e. the Hollister website prices vs 79.5% of the Irish prices divided by the FX rate.

I'm just talking about the costs of getting hold of the item, in order to get an item from the US I would have to pay taxes and shipping. In order to get an item from Dundrum I would have to go into the store and buy it.

Euro price minus VAT = €38.96
    Dollar price (as on site) = $49.50 = €34.96

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I'm planning on heading up there Friday :)
    Does the shop be very busy everyday?
    I'm glad to hear they haven't brought the prices up too much :)

Yes, but if you read my previous post you'll know that the dollar price you see doesn't include American VAT of approximately 10% whereas the Irish price includes VAT of 21%. That's most of the dollar/euro price difference accounted for right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,289 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It is actually 82.3 per cent of the Irish price you need to remove tax. Remember the final price is 1.215 timed the start price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MariaBlaah

i duno what people mean by the jumpers being good prices? i gave a cousin 57e for 2 hollister jumpers she got in america a few weeks back.. so 50e for one when i can get 2 for almost that price? yea.. dont think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mcw92

Anyone know how much a long sleeve top(not a hoodie) would cost and how much fleece pants would cost for male.Prices separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sokbhc

If I bought a hoodie from America at 30€ incl delivery what would the tax bring it to . Or any othe charges ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Awful clothing, not in the same league as Armani proper designer clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mcw92

Sokbhc wrote: »
    If I bought a hoodie from America at 30€ incl delivery what would the tax bring it to . Or any othe charges ??

3 year old thread ha
    jonnny68 wrote: »
    Awful clothing, not in the same league as Armani proper designer clothing.

And I think there is a slight price difference in the two names tbh not to mention a completely different target market

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

3year old thread. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement