Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IVF medication covered by Medical Card?

Options
  • 15-07-2011 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi there,

I'd like to find out is the IVF medication (injections, etc) covered by Medical Card?

I know that IVF medications are covered by the Drug Payment Scheme. Both my husband and I are Medical Card holders and we are trying for our first child. All investigations so far have shown that IVF is our only and the last resort. If we both have Med.cards, can we go through Drug Payment Scheme?

I would be very grateful for any advice or guidance.

Good luck to everyone struggling with infertility.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Hi Groz,
    I dont think they are allowed on the medical card ( i stand to be corrected on that one tho :D)
    But you are definitely entitled to them on the drug payment scheme, even if you hold a medical card. The DPS is available to everyone in the country regardless of income and so long as the drugs are covered then your good! And the drugs are covered!! They can even register you in the pharmacy at the time rather than having to do it yourself beforehand!
    Hope that helps :)
    and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 groz

Thanks you so much dublinlady! Glad to hear that, it is a good news as the medication is very expensive. Thanks again and all the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Paula_Maula

Drugs are covered but sadly the pro refutes are not. I'm in the same boat and attending SIMS clinic in Dundrum. It's a shame that the actual proceedures aren't covered since the UK give residents 3 goes at IVF under their health care system. Here health insurance doesn't even cover the cost..... Apparently health insurance only covers necessary proceedures and not luxuries!!! Straight from the horses mouth.... An insurance employee actually said this to me...:mad:

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mrsbrady

Here health insurance doesn't even cover the cost..... Apparently health insurance only covers necessary proceedures and not luxuries!!! Straight from the horses mouth.... An insurance employee actually said this to me...:mad:

me too :( good job she was on the other end of the phone and i could just hang up, if i'd called in to our local office to find out she might not have been so lucky :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

We are about to go for an IVF and for sure I'll keep you informed any time I have some more info...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

We are about to go for an IVF and for sure I'll keep you informed any time I have some more info...

Advertisement