Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

esb high bills

Options
  • 15-07-2011 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

hope some of the esb reps can throw some light on this.
    i don't have a problem its a friend whose usage just seems totally out compared to mine, my biggest bill for the winter 2 months was 168 but my friends was twice this for just one month which means she's using 3 to 4 times as much as me.
    now there's no one at her home all day midweek but i'd be at home all week
    using everything any anything to kill the boredom.
    she was without a washing machine and dryer for numerous wks and swears this didnt bring down the bills and doesn't use an immersion and works of gas heating.
    just cannot figure how she could be using almost 4 times as much as me any advice she would be grateful for
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi tsoparno,

If your friend has ruled out an estimated bill as the cause of the increased usage, I would advise her to do the following:

- Turn off all her power at the main trip switch
    - Plug out all appliances
    - Wait approx. 10 mins, and then inspect the meter
    - The meter's rotating disc (or flashing dial, if it's digital) should have come to a standstill
    - If this is not the case, organise for an electrical contractor to check your installation
    - If the dial/disc is inactive, go back and turn the main trip back on
    - At this point, you'll need to investigate which appliance is draining your power. To do this, plug in appliances one by one, all the while checking their impact on the meter. We realise this is a rather slow way of doing this, but usually a customer will have a good idea of the 'suspect' appliances in advance (e.g. electric showers/immersions/cookers/tumble dryers).

In our online store, we have a Plug-In Energy Monitor which checks how much electricity your home appliances are using, whether active or on standby, so armed with this, the task would become much easier.

I would also recommend that your friend browse the Energy Efficiency section of our website, in the hope that she finds the tools/tips we have there of use.

If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to help.

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement