Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping near Glendalough

Options
  • 15-07-2011 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi Everyone myself and a couple of friends are planning to go camping in the Wicklow national park. We're were planning on starting in Glendalough then walking/hiking for a couple of hours then setting up camp in the afternoon.

Anyone know of any places to camp?

or if anywhere you are allowed to camp anywhere near the upper lake?

Or if there are any nice lakes to camp by at all?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Hi Everyone myself and a couple of friends are planning to go camping in the Wicklow national park. We're were planning on starting in Glendalough then walking/hiking for a couple of hours then setting up camp in the afternoon.

Anyone know of any places to camp?

or if anywhere you are allowed to camp anywhere near the upper lake?

Or if there are any nice lakes to camp by at all?

Thanks

People do camp I dont know if its strictly allowed in national park there is a hostel on the road up to upper lake could try if they allow it in their grounds, there is a good campsite in Rathdrum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

While you can wild camp in some parts of the Wicklow Mountains, you can't camp at all anywhere in the Glendalough valley, and if you do, you'll be moved on by the rangers. It's the only actually patrolled and protected place in Wicklow, because of the tourists. That means you can't camp by either lake in the valley. You can camp in Glenmalure, the next valley South, and various other spots in Wicklow, but not Glendalough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

Thats a torment cause its such a nice place. What lead to them being so strict?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Needler wrote: »

People can't be trusted not to wreck it. Look at everywhere else people camp in Ireland. Anyway, Glendalough is big business, one of our most visited attractions in the country, and Wicklow CC and the WNP make a great effort to keep it clean and beautiful. I'm happy out with the decision.

If you're not lazy, there are tons of camping spots you can find inside a one or two hour walk from the valley, and if you are driving, then fifteen minutes South is Glenmalure, a valley often camped in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I've often seen people camping up in the Glenealo valley, which is the next valley up from glendalough, past the miners village etc. Fairly isolated but there is a river nearby (water source - but i'd boil all water). Lots of deer. It would be a 2 hour + hike from the car park though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Needler wrote: »

Just head to Glenmalure and see why its so strict in glendalough? Wild camping in glenmalure attracts some dirty feckers leaving beer cans and rubbish all over the place....

Nice spot to camp is in the field opp the hotel in Glenmalure. I dont know what the rate is but sure is handy for pints:) Just bring midge repellent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I have camped literally 100's of times at the top of Glendalough valley. We arrive late, leave early and bring are stank with us :)

It's all about the stealth :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I've seen plenty of people camping within the footprint of the miner's village buildings...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

The IMC hut in Glendasan used allow camping on their grounds for a small charge. Fee probably includes use of cooking/washing facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

dev100
    Not allowed to camp in Glenmalure opposite the hotel anymore. Was told by hotel that the council stopped it even though the hotel own the field.

sparrowcar
    Where exactly as I would love to try it.

I have done the wicklow way and camped just before Laragh near where there is a camping hut. Lovely view in the morning looking over the sea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement