Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2:2 BESS degree .... worth anything??

Options
  • 15-07-2011 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

Ive just finished my BESS degree and have recieved a joint honours in business and economics. I received a high 2:2. Is this degree (being a 2:2) worth anything? Are there any options out there regarding graduate programmes for those who achieved below the 2:1? Any advice welcome!!

Thanks!!
    progress.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Probably not many graduate programs will take you with a 2.2 in the current economic climate. No harm applying though. I'd say your best option would be to do a masters degree in something more specific related to your field and work hard when you do it to get a 1.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

hithere!! wrote: »
    Is this degree (being a 2:2) worth anything?

Thanks!!
    progress.gif

Well done - don't be knocking your degree.

I know how easy it is to look to the negative especially looking for jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mytwocents

A BESS degree is a good degree so I wouldn't be too despondent. I'd still apply to graduate programs if I was you (even if they say they require a 2.1 because they may put you through to the aptitude tests if they like the look of the rest of your CV and then you'd have the chance to prove yourself to them).

Alternatively you could look at doing a Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

A high 2:2 is very good, I got that in my degree and I haven't done too badly. Just that I know many graduate programmes require a 2:1, some companies are good that they will allow 2:2's no problem with good work experience with it will be a step in the door. I would suggest as other posters have suggested is doing a Masters or even doing another postgraduate course as in a Higher Diploma or Postgraduate Cert/Diploma. If you think you mightn't get a 1:1 or 2:1 in a Masters or you are unsure of doing one just yet, I would suggest you do one of those other courses instead if you don't want to do a Masters. I wouldn't let it stop you from applying even with your degree, economics is very good to have as an education background what ever graduate programmes you apply for.

It might be easier to get a 1:1 or a 2:1 in another Postgraduate Level 8 or 9 course that's not a Masters. That way you would have no problem in getting into a graduate programme. Some of the graduate programmes generally allow a Merit grade/second class honours from a Postgraduate course no bother. I think a 2:1 or even a 2:2 be fine but be better to get a 2:1 in that kind of course if you can. I think once you get a 2:1 in a Postgrad course whether its a Masters, Postgrad cert/dip or higher diploma the result will be no problem. I think getting a 1:1 would be difficult enough to get in a Masters it be great to get none the less then again depends on the course and that you work hard and how you get on in the course. Most people would get a second class honours and that's fine. Its really the CV and work experience that will stand to you more than the result, the result might have a bearing on getting your first job or placement but often doesn't always, its the work experience, skills and the actual qualification and how you did in certain subjects and in projects and college work placement if there was one in your degree will all have a bearing on getting work. Good luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

why dont you try and repeat some exams. In some college or university you could repeat some modules to get your degree from 2.2 to 2.1.

But 2.2 is not bad.

Like i do economics and its tough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

A 2:2 from TCD is a hell of a lot better than a 2:1 from an I.T in the schtix so I would be happy enough, the big grad schemes might be a little blunt and say 2:1 only but Im sure there are a few others that still take a 2:2 (AIB used to) most small/medium employers will be more than happy with a 2:2.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Don't limit yourself to grad schemes: look for regular jobs too.

Advertisement