Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2:2 BESS degree .... worth anything??

Options
  • 15-07-2011 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

Ive just finished my BESS degree and have recieved a joint honours in business and economics. I received a high 2:2. Is this degree (being a 2:2) worth anything? Is there any options out there regarding graduate programmes for those who achieved below the 2:1? Any advice welcome!!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Probably not much, unfortunately. The few employers offering graduate programmes tend to have a '2:1' rule. You might get an entry level job in a decent organisation, but only if you already know someone inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Attlee

It might be worth looking in to doing a masters, I know that doing well in a masters course can be a way to get around 2:1 entry requirements. Coupled with good work experience and some voluntary work you should have enough to get past these hurdles. I think this is the wrong board to ask because there is often the sense here that unless you got a 1st in science or engineering that you've wasted your time going to college (and your life as well!). There is a lot of negativity out there these days but you just have to keep plugging away at it and you will get through it. Just keep building up your CV bit by bit and you'll eventually balance the odds in your favour. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't get too hung up about a 2:2 vs 2:1 etc, try to look at and improve the other elements of your applications. Failing all that hard work, know someone, but that, sadly, is Ireland for you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Do you have any internship/work experience, or society experience? A girl I know got a job in a decent bank (and had several interviews) easily enough with a 2:2 in Econ and Sociology, though she had interned there before and was involved with a relevant society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

andrew wrote: »
    Do you have any internship/work experience, or society experience? A girl I know got a job in a decent bank (and had several interviews) easily enough with a 2:2 in Econ and Sociology, though she had interned there before and was involved with a relevant society.

I literally issued projectile vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tastyboy

I got a pass degree, applied for a masters with a big bull**** letter, got accepted, got a 1.1 (broke my hole!), now offered a Ph. D in Trinity. If there's a will there's a way, also if there's high demand for the particular masters it won't happen, there was just places left before it commenced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Attlee wrote: »
    It might be worth looking in to doing a masters, I know that doing well in a masters course can be a way to get around 2:1 entry requirements. Coupled with good work experience and some voluntary work you should have enough to get past these hurdles. I think this is the wrong board to ask because there is often the sense here that unless you got a 1st in science or engineering that you've wasted your time going to college (and your life as well!). There is a lot of negativity out there these days but you just have to keep plugging away at it and you will get through it. Just keep building up your CV bit by bit and you'll eventually balance the odds in your favour. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't get too hung up about a 2:2 vs 2:1 etc, try to look at and improve the other elements of your applications. Failing all that hard work, know someone, but that, sadly, is Ireland for you.

That's not Ireland, that's the business world. It's not something that solely occurs here, it's universal throughout business.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If you can get into a Masters that's relevant to the job you're applying for then they might not even ask for your original degree result.

I got a 2.2 in an Arts degree years ago and went back and ended up getting a 1.1 Computer Science Masters. Interviewed for a tech job with a big company and they never asked me about the Arts degree. I know they're two very different areas but doing well in a Masters should be enough unless they're really looking for reasons to whittle people down.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

A lot of UCD masters accept 2.2 degrees :)
    In my class (Natural Science) a high proportion of us got 2.2s and the all of us who applied for places have been accept to courses.
    I got a 2.2 and am doing a post-grad course in Maynooth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

If you can get into a Masters that's relevant to the job you're applying for then they might not even ask for your original degree result.

I got a 2.2 in an Arts degree years ago and went back and ended up getting a 1.1 Computer Science Masters. Interviewed for a tech job with a big company and they never asked me about the Arts degree. I know they're two very different areas but doing well in a Masters should be enough unless they're really looking for reasons to whittle people down.

What kind of experience (if any) did you have/need for the CS masters?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

andrew wrote: »
    What kind of experience (if any) did you have/need for the CS masters?

Did a 1 year post grad Diploma in DCU and then a 1 year Masters in UCD. All I needed for the post grad Diploma was to have completed a degree of any kind, and the diploma was enough to get me into the Masters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I got a pass degree in BESS in '99, didn't do a tap, and got working with a really small web design firm. Taught myself web design, then got into advertising/marketing with a Dublin agency a year later. Two years on, took some of their clients and went out on my own. Just back in 9-5 now, really good salary and a great job.

It's what you make it, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Thomas1981

I would not let this discourage me in anyway, I have a friend who got 2.2 BESS degree and found a great job straight out of college. I would brush up on interview skills as its a good degree just be willing to start at the bottom and even if you want ot go into another course its all about the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭chunkylover4

I also have a friend that got a high salary job straight after receiving his 2:2, he was however a scholar

Advertisement