Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Bike Set-up

Options
  • 15-07-2011 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi all,

Newbie to road biking here and looking for some advice. Doing some 20-25km cycles at the moment (Approx 1 hour cycles) and im really struggling with staying comfortable on the saddle. Have invested in good cycling shorts etc and a friend advised that I may not have the bike set up correctly (Saddle/handlebar heights etc etc)

Anyone got any advice or links to getting the bike set up correctly

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭barrmur

There are loads of links out there on how to set up your bike. If however you want some more in depth info and to have the set up done for you try these guys,

http://www.fit4bike.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=8&lang=en

It may be a bit more detailed that what you are looking for at this stage but as you get into it you might think its worth the extra few bob. I found them very helpful and definitely made my position on the bike more comfortable.

Remember though that if you are just starting a new sport it will be uncomfortable for a while at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

^^^^^^
    listening to that guy reminds me of Bill Bailey's character from 'Black Books' after he assimilated 'the Little Book of Calm'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

you tube is usually a good source of practical info - and free!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Cheers for the replies folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

kopfan77 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Newbie to road biking here and looking for some advice. Doing some 20-25km cycles at the moment (Approx 1 hour cycles) and im really struggling with staying comfortable on the saddle. Have invested in good cycling shorts etc and a friend advised that I may not have the bike set up correctly (Saddle/handlebar heights etc etc)

Anyone got any advice or links to getting the bike set up correctly

Thanks in advance

Did you buy the bike new? If so if you can go back to the shop you got it in and they may well help you. Must say from my limited experience of bike shops the staff seem really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭enoonan

Kopfan77 - I'm also in Limerick and I went and got my bike setup in Planet-Tri in Killaloe(061-622062) about 6 weeks ago. For €70 they measured pretty much everything on me and the bike. They also watched me cycling on a trainer before and after the fit.
    Personally I would have paid double/triple the price for the difference it has made to my cycling performance and comfort on the bike over long distances. A number of people in the club I am with have also gotten a fit done with them with similar results.
    I am not affiliated with the shop in any way but I would recomend the fitting they do to anyone.

Eoin

Advertisement