Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capturing VHS best quality

Options
  • 15-07-2011 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi Im looking for a bit of help if possible, Im doing asmall video for my uncles 6oth and Ive captured a lot of old VHS tapes using A Dazzle Pinnacle and Windows Movie Maker. The quality is 640x480 pixels. This is the best avaialble with this program, Im planning on making a video and playing it off a projector, should I try a different program to get a better display size I was told it should be 720x576. Could I get that with a different program or will it make that much of a difference VHS anyway?

Appreciate any help or advice,

Thanks,

Karl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

karlrya wrote: »
    Hi Im looking for a bit of help if possible, Im doing asmall video for my uncles 6oth and Ive captured a lot of old VHS tapes using A Dazzle Pinnacle and Windows Movie Maker. The quality is 640x480 pixels. This is the best avaialble with this program, Im planning on making a video and playing it off a projector, should I try a different program to get a better display size I was told it should be 720x576. Could I get that with a different program or will it make that much of a difference VHS anyway?

Appreciate any help or advice,

Thanks,

Karl
    On a projector it might not look to bad as you could upscale it anyway. The 720 would make a good bit of difference to the image quality, I had a VHS I found recently converted by www.crystalmedia.ie pretty happy with the results it was at 720x576 which is as good as it's going to get. They can leave it in any format you wish. The biggest difference I found though was colour correcting the video in a video editor, really fixed the blown out brightness and brought some of the colour detail back that made it look a lot better.

€15.00 per hour of video
    Minimum Charge €20.00

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Movie Maker has some functions to help fix the image a tiny bit (colour correction, sharpness, etc)

You can then use this Free Video Converter to help resize the video after you've created it.

Going from 640x480 to 720x526 isn't a big jump, anyways, so shouldn't look bad at all on a projector.

Advertisement