Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vetinary

Options
  • 15-07-2011 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone gone back to do vetinary as a mature student - to UCD i think? whats it like? is it managable? Are the fee's huge?

Jo
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

There is no mature vet entry. You can either re sit the leaving or apply as a graduate. For the graduate route, you need a minimum of a 2.2 honours degree and have to sit the GAMSAT exam as part of the entry procedure. Fees are 10000 or 19500 depending on whether you get into the 4 or 5 year graduate route, I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

Anyone know what the salary is for a qualified vet i wonder? As a country, large animal vet...dealing with cows etc?

Jo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Not sure how flexible you are but you can study veterinary science through english in Budapest, you sit an entrance exam and of course, fees apply. The certification is fully recognised in Ireland.

I looked into it and even went so far as to fill out the application forms, but after careful consideration I reluctantly decided against it beacuse I felt I was getting a bit old to be facing into 6 + years of study. A friend of mine who is studying there at the moment would highly recommend the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Maybe 45K, depending where you are? Possibly less- farm vets I think often earn less than small animal vets, at least when you consider hours worked (ie 80hr work week vs 40-50hr work week). I think it can vary a good bit- I do know that starting salaries in the UK are worse than Ireland.
    Of course, depending where you go to college, there are massive loans (100K+ if in Ireland- tuition plus living expenses) to pay off, so a lot of earnings go straight back to the bank :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Quest1

Has anyone taken this entrance exam to Szent Istvan for veterinary? Would a year course on bio and chemistry be enough to get through?

• Advertisement
Advertisement