Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best route from Naas to city centre

Options
  • 15-07-2011 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

On Thursday next I am hoping to fulfill a long held ambition by cycling from home (North Tipp) to Dublin. My route will take me along the N7 as far as Naas, my question is where do I go from there? I want to go right to the city centre and while Naas-Clane-Lucan looks good it will add (unwanted) miles at this stage, any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

N7? Busy road, but if you want a direct route I doubt there's quicker! I've a friend who commutes from Dublin the odd time to there. Think he sometimes went N81 out past Tallaght then cut across to Citywest and joined the road there. No doubt there must be a roughly parallel route through somewhere like Sallins?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

This would be my suggestion from Naas towards Saggart - it's a fairly nice road parallel to the N7. After that it doesn't matter too much, through Citywest and back onto the N7 through Newland's Cross is most direct, or following the N81 through Terenure as indicated on the map is handy enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Did the trip yesterday and in so doing fulfilled a lifetime ambition. Total distance was 164Km. Had a most enjoyable cycle as far as Naas - the hard shoulder of the N7 up to there is really good; relatively quiet, good surface, and plenty wide etc. After Naas however everything changed. The rain and wet roads caused me to make a bad decision and ignored the advice above so I decided to just cycle straight in. Bad decision! Traffic very intimidating (agricultural machinery and 2 diggers sharing the hard shoulder didn't help either). The on/off ramps were lethal, eventually went "up and over". The Red Cow was a near disaster as I followed the cycle route - has to be the worst designed cycle route/flyover I have witnessed - came off my bike, but no damage, when my wheel went into a little narrow channel on the upper part of the flyover. Anyway - I got here in one piece and the sense of satisfaction made it worthwhile, but mea culpa - should have heeded the advice above.

P.S. What do regular commuters do with the Red Cow - can you just cycle straight through?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

michaelm wrote: »
    P.S. What do regular commuters do with the Red Cow - can you just cycle straight through?

That's suicide. Get off your bike and use the pedestrian bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mickeycav

bit OTT, I go straight through Red cow every time, no problems in 5 years commuting

• Advertisement
Advertisement