Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charities and older people/what sort of old age do you want!

Options
  • 15-07-2011 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭

I have been thinking about this for a while.

On the way to work I pass a large poster for the senior help line and it gets on my nerve and its the same as some other charities aimed at older people.

In a nutshell they paint a picture of old people as lonely, sad, badly dressed, wearing unfashionable glasses in other words as pathetic!

Now I know the lives of some old people are like that ( and some young peoples lives are like that too. )

My mother has a lot of health problems so life is hard for her but I also know lots of older people who have great lives, I met an aunt of mine recently who is 79,she was dressed in jeans a fleece and runners and was out cycling.

As long as I have good health I think my old age will be much like my life is now except I will be retired and it would be nice if I was a grandmother.
    I will be laughing, going on holiday, enjoying family life, I would like to thing I will still have an intimate relationship with my partner, the though of still having a sexual relationship when you are old is life affirming!.

So what sort of old age do you want for yourself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well I suppose its no different really to the Barnardo's ads that show lonely, frightened, sad children. Most children are not like that, but undoubtedly some are, and those are the ones who need to be emphasised for the charity to attract funds. It doesn't mean that people think all children are like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

mariaalice wrote: »
    So what sort of old age do you want for yourself.
    Short. Being old in Ireland isn't much fun unless you have a lot of money put by and a lot of people are dependant on pension funds that are now in serious trouble. I've done what I wanted to and seen what I've wanted to so short would do me nicely.

Advertisement