Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe to go mtb alone

Options
  • 15-07-2011 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Im 14 i want to go mtb but the people i do it with have gone for rest of summer. Ticknock is a 30min cycle from my house would it be safe to go up there alone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I wouldn't. There's a lot to go wrong.

There are a good few mountain bike clubs around Dublin/Wicklow. Join one and go with them.

I think MAD are one, others will know better than I.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I know its tempting, and I have done it before. I like my own space and cycling its great for getting away for a few hours, especially mountain biking because there's no pedastrians or traffic.

I'm trying not to be patronising here, but at your age its a bit riskier because the kind of places that are good for mountain biking are usually full of groups of lads your age and slightly older and they're usually bored and looking for trouble.

At my age (26) you get a lot less grief from them and although they'll still hurl abuse and the odd rock that's about the worst of it. Your shiny mountain bike however would be a nice prize for these little scummers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You could get hurt and not be able to make it home but you'll be found, that's not the main issue.

The main issue is lads out knacker drinking and hanging around and may take your bike. They'll leave adults alone but you're 14 and there is not a lot you can do is you get stopped by a couple of them, your bike will be taken and trashed.

Join a club :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭dancecatz2000

Good clubs around the area are
    Imbrc,
    http://imbrc.com/ based in Tallaght run from The Cycle Inn bike shop.
    Epic mtb
    http://www.epicmtb.com/ Richie byrne is one of the main men here think they still meet in at stepaside.
    Mad
    http://www.madmtb.com/ not sure where they are based. or meet.

As the lads say its better to go with a few others for safety reasons,

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭this_time

Was up at Ticknock on my own last night. Came by two groups of riders on the upper loop stopped up. Must have been heavy falls. Really considering joining a club now.

Where exactly do you guys go that's full of knackers? Out on trails?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Jeeze it's not that bad up there! Don't mind the scare-mongers, but get yourself into a club!

My advice is to go at peak times, usually weekends around mid-day or weekday evenings around 6 to 7pm, plenty of other bikers and walkers up there at those times..

Bring with you:

Mobile phone with Credit in it!
    Pump
    tube
    water
    banana
    windproof/rain jacket
    multi-tool

• Registered Users Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Did a quick search on Google and found this:

http://www.epicmtb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14800

Give this guy a call or join the forum to find out where the next spin is..

Will be 100 times better than going out biking on your lonesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

the kind of places that are good for mountain biking are usually full of groups of lads your age and slightly older and they're usually bored and looking for trouble.

they'll still hurl abuse and the odd rock that's about the worst of it..

Not sure where you are actually talking about or coming from on this one but that is not the case on any of the better known trails and I think its a bit OTT to suggest that that actually happens

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭this_time

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Not sure where you are actually talking about or coming from on this one but that is not the case on any of the better known trails and I think its a bit OTT to suggest that that actually happens
    I'd have to say the same. Don't think they'd have the legs to get far enough into the mountains anyway.

The only thing that's putting me off going on my own is taking a fall and not being able to drive after. Obviously peak hours and popular trails isn't a problem really.

Advertisement