Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desire HD Vodafone Update Problem

Options
  • 15-07-2011 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

this morning I got a notification on my phone that a software update was available, being half asleep and half reading it, it came up as 2.3.3 update to Gingerbread..

I clicked download and thought no more of it..

Tonight, going on a journey after work, stick on GPS and sure enough, I get 'Searching for GPS' - I'm using the Google Maps Navigation app that came with the phone.

On Googling the error and problem I'm having, I've downloaded GPS Status and it won't pick up ANY satellites, I have a Samsung Galaxy S beside my phone and that's got a signal straight away.

Also, just to note, the satellite icon on the top of the screen does not disappear after accessing the sat nav app, only a hard reset will get rid of it.

What do i do??

Can I roll back to the previous version? Or is it a factory reset? My phone is not rooted and not modified in anyway.

In software information it says:

Android Version: 2.3.3

HTC Sense Version: 2.1

Baseband Version: 12.54.60.25U_26.09.04.11_M2

Kernel Version: 2.6.35.10-gd2564fb
    htc-kernel@and18-2 1

Build Number: 2.50.161.2 CL87995 release-keys

Software number: 2.50.161.2

Browser Version: WebKit/533.1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nishikigoi

Unfortunately I can't offer any help, but this is the exact same issue that I'm having with my HTC Desire HD, on Vodafone in the UK.

Before the Gingerbread update my GPS worked a treat. I, like you, installed the update and thought nothing of it. Ever since the update, my GPS will not work. I've done all the usual searching for solutions and come up with nothing. I've spoken to HTC helpdesk twice. Each time I was told to do a factory reset. They said not to do it more than 3 times, but to send the phone back for repair.

Clearly this is not a hardware fault. Everything worked fine until the Gingerbread update. It must be a software fault and I can only hope that a fix is released ASAP as I use my phone for SatNav and as a GPS for backup navigating during mountain climbing.

Reading the Vodafone forums it seems ours isn't an isolated incident and the problem is common but Vodafone don't seem to be taking it seriously. The only advice they are offering is to send the phones back for assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Thanks for replying Nishikigoi. Could you post the link to the forums where the same problems have been reported?

I've still had no resolution, has anyone else found a similar problem? The update occurred on Friday morning and I've been unable to get a GPS signal at all.

It was working fine the Thursday night as I was using it for a trip no problems.

I'm thinking of a hardware reset, but would this delete all of the updates the phone has had?

Any advice or tips would be great.

Oregato:

It's unlikely a factory reset will resolve the problem, as I've done it twice with no success. However if you want to try it, it's not as painful as it sounds.

Be sure to backup your SMS with an app from the market. You will not lose any photos/files from the SD card. Your apps will all re-install once you log back in with your google account. Obviously if you have a lot of apps this could take a while. Any game saves will be lost if not backed up to the SD card. Other than that it's just a pain having to get everything back to how you like it.

My advice would be to sit it out for a fix. Vodafone are aware of the issue and have reported it to HTC. See the link below for further details, with my posts under the name 'Beelzebub'

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/HTC-Desire-Series/Latest-update-to-version-2-50-161-2-has-broken-GPS-Desire-HD/m-p/826265/message-uid/826265#U826265

I hope a fix is released very soon as I'm off climbing next weekend and use the phone and OS mapping on it as a navigation aid backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

According to a post on xda-developers, you need to give the phone at least 10 minutes to search for the satellites in GPS Status with a complete view to open sky. Might not be a bad idea to clear the A-GPS cache and download a new one with GPS status.

Here's the thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1168531

Thansk NeitherJohn, I had tried that suggested the fix after the first factory reset. Unfortunately it didn't work. I will try it again though, once the rain stops long enough to leave the phone outside for a bit.

Vodafone have acknowledged there was a problem with their Gingerbread release so I think we just have to sit it out until a fix is released. I'm not holding my breath though.

• Advertisement

Thanks NeitherJohn,

I've tried this too and no joy, I'm still consistently getting no GPS signal at all! Very frustrating.

I've posted on the Vodafone forum too but no response..

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

and same me from last friday after update :/

anyone find any update to this at all? I heard an external GPS unit will work, but that doesn't give me much comfort.

This seems to be Vodafone's final say on the matter, quoted from their forum pages:

" Just to clarify, as there seems to be some confusion over the resolution to this issue:

We were made aware last week of some instances of GPS stopping working on the latest Desire HD update. In order to prevent any further customers experiencing this, we asked HTC to stop delivering the update.

Stopping the update is a temporary measure whilst we work with HTC to fix the issue (I'd guess it'll be fixed with a further update).

For anyone who installed the update as is affected, the fix (once it's been found) will rectify the issues on your handsets too, but if you need the use of GPS in the meantime, our repair centre can roll back the firmware to the previous version for you. This is only a suggested temporary measure until a permanent fix is developed.

We won't post any further updates in the thread until we have more info now, so if anyone pops on asking questions which are answered by this post, feel free to refer them to it."

So we have 2 choices. Either sit it out waiting for HTC to accept that there's a problem and then begin work on a fix, or return your phone via Vodafone's repair centre which will take between 7 & 10 days.

I mentioned that we should receive compensation for this malarky but surprisingly they didn't respond! I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for HTC to accept there's an issue but equally I don't really want to be without my phone for 10 days.

An external bluetooth GPS receiver will set you back about £15 on ebay so could be a reasonable short term solution.

Based on the reply from the UK forum, it appears that a fix would not do anything as all they would do is reflash the newest (broken) software.. disaster really.. They can't roll back either because of HROOT or something and don't have access to this?

So there is really no fix for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Chimo29

there would have to be a fix for it. probably the only way out of it is to bring a new update instead of rolling it back one. its plain that if their update causes a major malfunction, then they either must fix it or replace the product. In a sense, they have remotely damaged the phones and are naturally liable for that. Im sureits only a matter of time that something will happen and they'll all be fixed. otherwise it would be a serious blow to there customer confdence which at present is at a high for HTC

Chimo29 wrote: »
    there would have to be a fix for it. probably the only way out of it is to bring a new update instead of rolling it back one. its plain that if their update causes a major malfunction, then they either must fix it or replace the product. In a sense, they have remotely damaged the phones and are naturally liable for that. Im sureits only a matter of time that something will happen and they'll all be fixed. otherwise it would be a serious blow to there customer confdence which at present is at a high for HTC

I think we shoul do more buzzz about this on the internet.

Hi guys,

just to update this thread among others.

I've brought the phone back to Vodafone on Friday and have asked them to restore an older version of firmware for the phone.

Hopefully will be receiving it back this week or next so will keep you updated as to whether this fixes it or not.

Based on one or two of the comments on the UK Vodafone site, I'm hoping that I don't get the phone back with the reflashed same version of the firmware..

We're wait and see.. fingers crossed!

Thanks for all the help so far.

OREGATO wrote: »
    Hi guys,

We're wait and see.. fingers crossed!

Thanks for all the help so far.

yeach ok, but how long we can wait? forever?

another week gone.

Any news about this GPS issue?

This is nearly month and Vodafone with HTC doing nothing for us.

If we wouldn't pay bill fot the mont vodafone will lock our phones but if they don't fix the problem for us what we can do?

?????????????????????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Last time I buy a HTC or Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I've just got a notice for an update, Android 2.3 software 2.50.161.3 the comment is "GPS fix".

I've just got a notice for an update, Android 2.3 software 2.50.161.3 the comment is "GPS fix".

Anyone updated to this version? Hear anything else about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭eggy81

Got the notice aswell but haven't installed it yet.is the gps problem linked to maps over WiFi or data as on my phone I'm never where maps says I am.its always couple of hundred yards out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dumptruck

eggy81 wrote: »

Got the notice aswell but haven't installed it yet.is the gps problem linked to maps over WiFi or data as on my phone I'm never where maps says I am.its always couple of hundred yards out.

I installed it this morning and my DHD GPS IS FIXED.

Dumptruck

Finally got my phone back off vodafone yesterday.

Sad thing is they did nothing with it, had the same gps problem but they just reset the phone. Lucky enough, got home and done the software update.

Gps is back working again so I'm happy!

I'm still waiting for this update. Has everyone else got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

I'm still waiting for this update. Has everyone else got it?
    Just got it this minute

Tried the GPS app today, after 10 mins outside in clear sky it hadn't got a fix.

Updated my software as above and ran a GPS test, after approx 5 seconds it got a fix!

Haven't seen any negative effects yet.

Still waiting. No way to force it I guess.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm with Vodafone and have the same phone with the same sw version, but I didn't have this issue really, yes I noticed that initially it was difficult to catch a sat, but it did eventually, gmaps never gets a sat for me in 5 seconds, that would be great.
    If I can't get a signal on gmaps or cardiotrainer I just the alternative car panel, the one with the four customisable shortcut large boxes, its the best way for my phone to find a sat initially, I use the bearing ap sometimes too, but car panel first, then the other apps get it. I also think that the agps on this phone is not as good as the iPhone one, but when the actual gps kicks in it makes up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paddyzipper

I have found you must have a 3g signal when using Gps.If you do not have your 3g set to on,the GPS will search n search.Turning GPS on it will find 7+Sats in two minutes.Hope it helps(-:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm running Gingerbread on a Desire HD, my update having pushed out by Vodafone, and I've not experienced this issue. I've used GPS three times in the last week for one of those running apps and it's accurately tracked my location and got a GPS signal in about give seconds...

So is it only a subset of Gingerbread users?

• Advertisement
Advertisement