Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog wet himself!?

Options
  • 14-07-2011 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭

Advice pls guys - my dog who is 2 just wet himself. When i went to him ( i was upstairs and heard a commotion) he was lying down relaxed and weeing. I gently took his collar and said our usual command up up up! but he didn't budge then once the puddle hit his leg/tail (the floor isn't level lol) he looked down as if to say omg whats that then stood up. I led him out to the back but he was done so cleaned him off then he asked for a treat since he was passing his begging spot! :rolleyes:
    He doesn't seem stiff/sore/lame - my first thought was that the leg he had the operation on was sore and he couldn't get up so i didn't pull at his collar in case he was in pain and couldn't get up.
    Has anyone had this happen and it was just a uti? I don't know if he was staring into space as in out of it when i tried to get him up or avoiding eye contact/ignoring me maybe a bit scared as mum had been freaking out a bit. He got into his bed afterwards and curled up asleep.

I'm really realy worried now thinking it's his back or he has epilepsy or something ;'(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

You mention him having an operation, was it recently? Just thinking that it can take a few days for the anaesthetic to leave his system which could make him zone out and not realise what was happening. Keep monitoring him for strange behaviour and take him to the vet if anything else like this happens.

I used to know a red setter who used to wet the sofa but she had kidney problems and used to sleep really deeply.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

No his op was last year. He seems fine now trying to sleep and wondering why i'm annoying him petting him but I'm imaging everything

Hopefully it was an isolated incident. He probably just fell asleep with a full bladder. Just watch him tomorrow for any changes in how alert he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

is he on steroids TK? My girl could not control her bladder on steroids at all.
    If not better check witht he vet.

Ok just back from the vet - I had to take them for my own peace of mind. There's crystals in his wee and it's got a strong alkaline level so his bladder is irritated. The vet thinks it might be something he's eating - I've been giving him some wet food mixed with his dry the last couple of weeks so I'm hoping thats it!! He's back on his dry over the weekend and we'll do another test next week to see what the difference is. SO GLAD i went now as if it was left untreated he could get kidney stones!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Well done for knowing your dog so well:D

Bless him, he's having a really rough time of it isn't he, hopefully getting him off the wet food will resolve it.

Your vet must love you;)

TBH ISDW he's been fantastic since his operation and doing great and just being a dog! This was our second visit to the vet in 6 months - thou both within a 2 weeks lol!! :P He had his nails clipped and ears checked a couple of weeks ago at daycare and they noticed one ear was really dirty compared to the other and advised me to take him to get him checked out so he got drops as a precaution as it could have been the start of an infection. The SHAME!!! He had his ears cleaned at his puppy party when he was tiny - I never cleaned his them cos I assumed all his swimming would have kept them clean! Ear checking is now part of our regime! ;)

So glad that this is being sorted out. Your dog is very lucky to have you.

Ok so another update. I remembered this morning that last time I got a bag of Luath I got lamb flavour instead of chicken. I've since found out that chicken & rice Burns has less minerals than lamb & rice - waiting for land of hollistic pets to get back to me but assuming it'll be the same story so this could be the cause. He's been on lamb and rice for 4-5 weeks now so it'd make sense. He's back in the vets later to get another sample tested so we'll see if there's any change.

He's fine - no crystals and the right ph after being on his Luath since friday! What a messer - I'm stressing out all day wondering what to feed him if the result was the same or worse lol! :pac::rolleyes: I've just realized I put more thought into what goes into his bowl than what goes onto my plate lol :pac::pac: I got some pH strips on ebay over the weekend so I may try him on the Lukullus cans I got last week to see if it has then same affect - the wet food is a lot easier for his kongs and when he gets his other leg sorted we'll be doing crate rest again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement