Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do pet carriers the size of Lufthansa's restrictions for the cabin even exist?

Options
  • 14-07-2011 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I am travelling from Dublin to Frankfurt with Lufthansa and they allow you to book your cat aboard the cabin, providing the pet carrier meets their size restrictions.

It says on the site the allowed dimensions are 55cm x 40cm x 20 cm (about 22" x 15.5" x 7.8") but after an exhaustive Google search I can't find any carriers that fit this size, even the ones that state they are "airline approved". The length (55cm) and height (40cm) are absolutely fine, you can find tons below that, but the width (20cm) is ridiculously small and I don't even think such a carrier even exists!

Does anyone know of one that fits the requirements or alternatively has anyone travelled with Lufthansa and used one that they have allowed even though it's outside them? Help please!

Lufthansa site: http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Animals#ancAbT2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

It says on the site the allowed dimensions are 55cm x 40cm x 20 cm (about 22" x 15.5" x 7.8") but after an exhaustive Google search I can't find any carriers that fit this size, even the ones that state they are "airline approved"

I'd check with lufthansa if that's a typo. Even if not, it would be unfair to cram any but the tiniest kitten into a crate like that - the animal needs to be able to stand up and turn around in their crate.

PP20 crates are 37x37x52cms - they're airline approved and a cat or miniature dog can turn around in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Those dimensions I think are just the normal size you're allowed for hand luggage, I don't know if anybody makes carriers that size, but it doesn't say a carrier on that site, it says a box.

I'd check with lufthansa if that's a typo. Even if not, it would be unfair to cram any but the tiniest kitten into a crate like that - the animal needs to be able to stand up and turn around in their crate.

PP20 crates are 37x37x52cms - they're airline approved and a cat or miniature dog can turn around in one.

But are they airline approved for the cabin or for the luggage hold? Those dimensions Lufthansa have given are for the cabin. I'm guessing the box would then have to go into the overhead locker?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

ISDW wrote: »

But are they airline approved for the cabin or for the luggage hold? Those dimensions Lufthansa have given are for the cabin. I'm guessing the box would then have to go into the overhead locker?

The hold - airline approval is around crate structure, locking mechanism on the door, so on. I'd rather put my animal in the hold in a lined crate (lots of trick for that!) than have them crammed in an overhead locker in something tiny. The flight won't be something they enjoy anyway - especially not a cat - so most important is physical
    comfort.

The hold - airline approval is around crate structure, locking mechanism on the door, so on. I'd rather put my animal in the hold in a lined crate (lots of trick for that!) than have them crammed in an overhead locker in something tiny. The flight won't be something they enjoy anyway - especially not a cat - so most important is physical
    comfort.

I agree, as the OP is looking at Lufthansa flights, I imagine its a flight from Ireland to Germany, so not a particularly long flight. I would rather have the cat in a hold, in an larger carrier than in an overhead locker on a noisy flight. Lots of different noises in the cabin, people talking, the safety announcements etc. I don't know how noisy it is in the hold in regards to the engine, but I think it would probably be less disruptive for the animal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement