Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Password on router

Options
  • 14-07-2011 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there is anyways to put a password on a linksy's router, I turn on my password when my brother starts downloading during the day but he bypasses it by pluggin a wire from the router directly into his laptop anyway i can stop this bypass

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You probably can't password protect against a wired connection, but you can set up MAC address filtering. You'll likely need to get access to his computer to be able to get the relevant MAC address (or addresses) though unless the router logs them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

You probably can't password protect against a wired connection, but you can set up MAC address filtering. You'll likely need to get access to his computer to be able to get the relevant MAC address (or addresses) though unless the router logs them.

Yeah, adding MAC filtering should do it.
    You may be able to see his MAC address on the list of active clients/IP address leases, as the MAC to IP address lease is typically 24 hours.

But, depending on my computer saavy your brother is, he can bypass ANY router solution you try by simply plugging the network cable from the cable modem into his laptop, avoiding the router altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Whatever happened to brotherly love?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Whatever happened to brotherly love?:(
    You shouldn't be advocating violence on these forums :P

My Belkin router allows me to set certain times during the day when I don't want anyone getting online and it won't allow any internet access during those times.

Advertisement