Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist hurt in Cork Accident

Options
  • 14-07-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭

I was travelling home from an after work cycle, coming along the N22 about 1 Km from the bandon road roundabout i saw that a Cyclist had been involved in some kind of accident.
    I slowed to see if i could help but a few drivers ahead of me had stopped and were directing traffic around the accident scene, they had already called for help and had a blanket on the cyclist but he wasn't moving and it didn't look good.
    Hope all will be Ok but thats a seriously fast stretch of motorway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Was it near a slip road?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It was indeed, I was coming that direction I'd say a little after it, and the Gards had the slip road closed off coming from the east end of Ballincollig, and plenty of presence on dual carriageway.

Hopefully the person involved isn't seriously injured, get well soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

yep, the last one as you approach the bandon road roundabout, i'm always very wary at those on and off ramps where i am crossing lines of traffic. they're lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Hope he is ok. I cycle that road my self from time to time. Those ramps are deadly. Some times I even go up n over where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Heard from a friend in the CUH today that this guy is still in ITU in the CUH.Severe upper body and chest injuries. He was "clipped" by the wing mirror of a white van, his cycling helmet was in smithereens.
    Two of the cars that stopped had doctors in them so that was the only fortunate thing about this whole episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Hope he'll be alright and I hope that they got that van's reg if its driver didn't pull over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

good to hear doctors were on the scene straight away. hopefully he will have a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Heard from a friend in the CUH today that this guy is still in ITU in the CUH.Severe upper body and chest injuries. He was "clipped" by the wing mirror of a white van, his cycling helmet was in smithereens.
    Two of the cars that stopped had doctors in them so that was the only fortunate thing about this whole episode.

Similar accident happened to James Cracknell on his race across america.

Hope the poor lad makes full recovery. Awful accident

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭torturedsoul

Hope he is ok, Let us know if ye hear anything. I swear those fecking white vans are deadly. They are always the one vehicle I have consistent problems with!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

not looking good lads,eldery geltleman involved,well known cyclist in the area,say a prayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Good news is last night he sat up in the bed and was talking to family still not out of the woods for a 75yr old man and is a Cork cycling legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

Hope he is ok, Let us know if ye hear anything. I swear those fecking white vans are deadly. They are always the one vehicle I have consistent problems with!
    +1 on those white vans,any van for that matter,most are commercial drivers and are allways in a hurry and trying to make deadlines,even when your driving yourself the tailgator is very often a van or jeep,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Glad to hear that he seems to be doing well.
    Hermy wrote: »
    Yeah, those van drivers are terrible - at least almost as bad as taxi drivers, bus drivers, women drivers, young drivers, old drivers...
    FTFY ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

minterno wrote: »
    the tailgator is very often a van or jeep,

Generally Audi drivers i find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Best wishes to the injured cyclist, he must be tough enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

not really a suitable thread to be making jokes on lads.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

ajk24 wrote: »
    not really a suitable thread to be making jokes on lads.

+1

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

id say everyones thoughts and prayers are with the injured cyclist and lets not forget the poor driver,he must be in an awfull state,theres nothing worse than causing harm to someone else and allthough drivers need to give cyclists more space it was an accident and hopfully all will end up ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

Good news is last night he sat up in the bed and was talking to family still not out of the woods for a 75yr old man and is a Cork cycling legend.

Jeez that's his second bad accident in less than 12 months - he crashed very heavily during a sportive up in Fermoy last summer and ended up with a punctured lung. Glad to know he's recovering.

Advertisement